What Do You Use To Wipe Off Excess Ink After Filling Your Pen?

Wolverine

Mostly tissues, because they're convenient (when you have respiratory allergies, you keep boxes of tissues all over the house.... Yeah, yeah, I know -- lint. But they're still convenient.

I did buy some chamois a while back when I was getting something else at Walmart (a UV flashlight to use with Noodler's Blue Ghost) but I haven't cut it up yet.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Djehuty

• Ted A

• inkstainedruth

• ParkerDuofold

I cut worn-out cotton flannel nightgowns into squares, and throw them away when they're too encrusted with ink to do a good job anymore.

When I visited the museum section of the British Museum Reading Room years ago, I noticed that each station had a section of soft bristle brush on a ledge, for use as a pen wipe. Presumably these were for dip pens, but maybe they'd do for FPs too.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

Paper towel which I try to save and reuse in my ink tray and which my wife always tosses.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

... Yeah, yeah, I know -- lint. But they're still convenient.

Hi Ruth,

I use Kleenex, too, and I'm not troubled by lint... a light blow on the section like you're extinguishing a candle and it's gone. :)

- Anthony

Scott "Shop Rags" - a lint-free paper towel. It doesn't fall apart when wet, like toilet paper. I re-use these until they are really pretty with many colored splotches. I really should frame them, but I confess to tossing them. BTW, I always travel with a Ziploc sandwich bag with some blotter paper and some shop rags in my backpack or purse.

David

I am such a dingbat. I have a bag of shop rags made out of ancient undershirts. They're soft and lint-free. I'm going to appropriate some for my next pen-filling. Thanks! :)

My favorite blotters are the free napkins I get from Domino's Pizza.

They are terrible napkins, but great pen wipes. I avoid the print on them, though, as the ink can bleed onto the nib.

The delivery guys all know I like lotsa napkins when I order, so they always bring a handful. One lasts quite a while, except if I actually use them for their intended purpose.

I had an old white undershirt that I cut two decent size rectangles out of and sewed the two pieces together. Its like a double thick hanky made from super soft old t-shirts. It's pretty colorful at this point, but I only have blues, blacks, greens and blue-blacks, so no bright cheery colors, lol. Maybe I should get a sample of something red just to spill on the hanky for fun...

I have some very old, well-washed cloth diapers (remember those?) that I have turned into pen rags. No lint, soft, and absorbent.

I sure do. I have only a few of my daughter's left. Best pieces of cloth, lint-free, super soft and absorbent.

Next best are my old undershirts and underwear that I don't wear anymore in case I'm hit by a truck. Almost as good.

After a while they look like Jackson Pollack paintings and then you might want to wear them again.

Blot w a paper towel I use as a "placemat" when doing refills. However I work in the Eyecare industry and have stacks and stacks of those microfiber lens cleaning clothes. I think I just found a new use for them! Thanks for the idea.

Some great ideas on this thread. I've been using gossamer made from a cat's footfall, the roots of a mountain, bear's sinew, fish's breath, bird's spittle, and the cheek hair of a woman, but it's not very cost-effective. Failing that, The Ink Towel, some purpose-made blotters if I remember (not very good - fiddly and only one size... which definitely doesn't fit all...) or sooo many tissues.

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

Y

My favorite blotters are the free napkins I get from Domino's Pizza.

They are terrible napkins, but great pen wipes. I avoid the print on them, though, as the ink can bleed onto the nib.

The delivery guys all know I like lotsa napkins when I order, so they always bring a handful. One lasts quite a while, except if I actually use them for their intended purpose.

Yeah, but that involves eating Domino's Pizza.... :rolleyes:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Y

Yeah, but that involves eating Domino's Pizza.... :rolleyes:

No NO. you just have to order the pizza so they'll deliver the pen wipes.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Try John Wayne toilet paper.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

old socks with holes in them, or any other item from the rag bin. I then throw them away.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Most of the time a paper napkin or paper towel. If I think about it some sort of lint free cloth. I have some cloths that came with some watches that are leather like. I sometimes use those, or a soft nylon cloth I have. Whatever is handy.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain