Edison Beaumont Or Delta Matte Journal?

Donato777

I am new to this forum, and to the world of fountain pens. At present, I own only three: Pilot Metropolitan and Nemosine Fission, and Faber-Castell Loom, purchased in that order. I am now looking to spend a little more for a quality pen and I love the look of the Edison Beaumont Sapphire Flake and Delta Matte Journal in Blue. Both pens receive favorably reviews, and look similar in design, although I like the Delta better. (See photos) It has more of a lapis lazuli color. The Beaumont is $149.00 and the Delta is $120. But I have so little experience in this world that I thought I would turn to the more experienced members. Can anyone help me with a decision? I would probably buy a fine nib and use the pen for everyday writing. Most important to me is nib smoothness, and the fact that both models accept standard international cartridges. In terms of quality, craftsmanship, and writing experience, which of these two pens would you recommend? I am also open to suggestions to other brands that make acrylic marbled pens of high quality within a similar price range. Thank you!

Delta Journal- Matte Blue:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q74/DonatoFoto/10781-MatteBlue.jpg?t=1493001644

Edison Beamont - Sapphire Flake:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q74/DonatoFoto/EPCBSF-2.jpg?t=1493001644

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donato777

• jameswatts

• jchch1950

• inkfade

Listen:: I have ONE Delta, the Oversize Dolcevita, which Is a lovely instrument. I have two Edisob Pend -- a Pearl and a Collier. Get the Edison. The commitment to quality is unmatched the satisfaction of use will be greater. Trust me. I know of which I speak. EDISON.

I think the Delta looks better but I'd go for the Edison.
Good customer service, you're guaranteed to get a good nib, and your choice of material.

They both look stunning and I'm biased about blue pens in general. It really comes down to size for me. I've handled the Delta Journal at pen shows, and I have an Edison's Beaumont. I find the Beaumont a little too thin for my hand.

The Delta Journal has a wider grip section, while the Beaumont's section gets thinner in the middle. The Delta Journal is wider overall. If I'm not mistaken, they are of the same length when posted.

If you're able to go to a pen show, I'd recommend holding both pens and see which one is better for you.

Thanks,

Franz

Thank you for all the responses and advice. I bought the Delta Journal because the Pen Chalet was offering a discount on them, so I was able to pick it up for $108 shipped. I know there isn't much of a price difference between the two pens, but I decided against the Edison because I did not like the sapphire flake as much as the lapis lazuli blue on the Delta. The pen just arrived so I have not yet had a chance to ink it up yet. I bought a fine nib. And oh, it's a gorgeous pen and very well crafted - very light in the hand.

Edited by Donato777

• 2 months later...

Thank you for all the responses and advice. I bought the Delta Journal because the Pen Chalet was offering a discount on them, so I was able to pick it up for $108 shipped. I know there isn't much of a price difference between the two pens, but I decided against the Edison because I did not like the sapphire flake as much as the lapis lazuli blue on the Delta. The pen just arrived so I have not yet had a chance to ink it up yet. I bought a fine nib. And oh, it's a gorgeous pen and very well crafted - very light in the hand.

I was also considering these two and ended up getting the Delta from PenChalet for a great discount. There were several factors that pushed towards the Delta:

1. Price. Edison almost never offers discounts on their products but their products are stunning. Delta offered the Journal at a great price and also allowed retailers to offer discounts.
  2. Nib. I did not have good experience with JoWo nibs until recently. Bock nibs that Delta and several other manufacturers use have been simply superb, every single one that I've used. So I was reluctant to pay $150 for a JoWo nib that I was unsure of.
  3. Section design. Edison tends to use the Sheaffer-like concave section on it's production pens that use a #6 nib. I wasn't sure if I would like that. The Delta's section is nice and thick, it feels great in the hand.

That said, I am eyeing the Collier in burnished gold. I really like that finish.