What Is The Coolest Material For A Fountain Pen Body?

Wolverine

My vote would be Visconti's Homo Sapiens models. Made from basaltic lava...very innovative and I'm looking forward to seeing one in person at the next pen show. Out of what I have now: Lamy 2000 in Makrolon. Love the feel of it.

+1 on the HS.

Posted Image

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• jar

• Mastiff

• ManofKent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well it would involve killing at least :angry:

I meant organically sourced Ivory. I don't support poaching of any sort.

I meant organically sourced Ivory. I don't support poaching of any sort.

The problem is elephant ivory is being mislabelled mammoth ivory to get round CITES.

I suppose 'Vegetable Ivory' (Tagua Nut) is a possibility

The problem is elephant ivory is being mislabelled mammoth ivory to get round CITES.

I suppose 'Vegetable Ivory' (Tagua Nut) is a possibility

Hello all,

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's wrong with harvesting the ivory post-mortem? :huh: Elephants die naturally every day of the week.

I don't see what's wrong with taking the ivory off of an elephant that died in a fight or of old age, etc.

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Hello all,

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's wrong with harvesting the ivory post-mortem? :huh: Elephants die naturally every day of the week.

I don't see what's wrong with taking the ivory off of an elephant that died in a fight or of old age, etc.

- Anthony

Between 1979 and 1989 the African elephant population halved from just over 1.2 million to around 600,000. In 1989 a total ban on Ivory sales was introduced by CITES and the blackmarket price for ivory plummeted, poaching significantly reduced and over the next decade numbers increased to close to 1 million. There were two large authorised sales of stockpiled ivory in 1999 and 2008 . The availability of Ivory stimulated demand and the blackmarket price shot up (along with poaching). Poaching levels went back to pre- ban numbers. If Ivory can be legally sold than it has a high value, which make illegal ivory extremely valuable to poachers. When Ivory cannot be sold at all the blackmarket value collapses.

Between 1979 and 1989 the African elephant population halved from just over 1.2 million to around 600,000. In 1989 a total ban on Ivory sales was introduced by CITES and the blackmarket price for ivory plummeted, poaching significantly reduced and over the next decade numbers increased to close to 1 million. There were two large authorised sales of stockpiled ivory in 1999 and 2008 . The availability of Ivory stimulated demand and the blackmarket price shot up (along with poaching). Poaching levels went back to pre- ban numbers. If Ivory can be legally sold than it has a high value, which make illegal ivory extremely valuable to poachers. When Ivory cannot be sold at all the blackmarket value collapses.

Thank you for the insight. I read that the demand in China is the source of all the related problems, and in reality Mr Xi Jin Ping is the only one who can put an end to this barbaric practice.

Hello MK,

I see... yes, I guess that makes sense... unfortunately. :(

I love the feel of real ivory... I remember it on an old piano my school had. :)

Thanks for the detailed explanation. :)

- Anthony

Thank you for the insight. I read that the demand in China is the source of all the related problems, and in reality Mr Xi Jin Ping is the only one who can put an end to this barbaric practice.

The two largest markets for ivory were China and the USA.

China and the US agreed action in 2015.

The US restricted ivory sales last year.

China announced in 2016 that by the end of 2017 commercial processing and sale of Ivory will cease, and to their credit have already started closing processors and traders.

The two largest markets for ivory were China and the USA.

China and the US agreed action in 2015.

The US restricted ivory sales last year.

China announced in 2016 that by the end of 2017 commercial processing and sale of Ivory will cease, and to their credit have already started closing processors and traders.

That is great! For a change the US and China are working together!

Susutake bamboo. Because it is:

1. Organic

2. Tough, meaning reisitant to scratch

3. Has a beautiful patina due to long years of fuming over a slow burning stove.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/DSCF1199_zpsfsa1mjyf.jpg

Susutake bamboo. Because it is:

1. Organic

2. Tough, meaning reisitant to scratch

3. Has a beautiful patina due to long years of fuming over a slow burning stove.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/DSCF1199_zpsfsa1mjyf.jpg

I bet that feels nice in the hand, too. :)

- Anthony

Anthony, all bamboo materials have a tactile feel that is like wood but not exactly so. A susutake pen is probably the toughest bamboo there is, because it has been cured over simmering fire for such a long time. It is warm to the touch, smooth and light. You need to hold it in your hand to appreciate it.

Here is a little thread about susutake I wrote on FPN a while back: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/293181-susutake-bamboo-pens/

Thanks.

It's sad that because of a few bad people, we can't use Ivory anymore. But surely Ivory can be harvested safely from elephants in reserves and zoos?

Harvested?

Why do poachers kill an elephant for its tusks when it can be "harvested safely"?

Perhaps I don't understand what you mean.

I'll stick with the basaltic lava of the HS.

Posted Image

Boomerang wood - so that always come back to you - even when you lend it to your dumb manager who then doesn't hand it back to you, but the person they were last talking to the wrong person (an unwashed student!) two minutes after scribbling a note. Arrgh! That's a CdA and they're not cheap!

I do like materials such as glass, feathers and I've seen concrete used for a ballpoint - but not an FP.

"Real" celluloid, vintage or Omas. I'm also impartial to titanium. Wood not so much.

Edited by ck360

Harvested?

Why do poachers kill an elephant for its tusks when it can be "harvested safely"?

Perhaps I don't understand what you mean.

I'll stick with the basaltic lava of the HS.

Hi Misfit,

"Harvesting" ivory usually refers to removing the tusks from already deceased carcasses; as opposed to "poaching" which is killing a living animal to obtain the ivory, the fur, or what have you.

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Anthony, all bamboo materials have a tactile feel that is like wood but not exactly so. A susutake pen is probably the toughest bamboo there is, because it has been cured over simmering fire for such a long time. It is warm to the touch, smooth and light. You need to hold it in your hand to appreciate it.

Here is a little thread about susutake I wrote on FPN a while back: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/293181-susutake-bamboo-pens/

Thanks.

Very interesting, indeed. Thank you for the link. :)

- Anthony

Thank you Anthony. I've seen quite a few programs lately on African wildlife. So many are endangered, so your clarification helps.

Posted Image

One instance where you do not want to drop it is if it becomes "wet."

So, a pen made of dynamite it is a beautiful looking pen until you attempt to fill it - then boom!

Actually that sounds like a great pen to gift - to my enemies.

Poison pen? Na - we've gone one better.

Edited by sandy101