What Is The Coolest Material For A Fountain Pen Body?

Wolverine

Jade.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• jar

• Mastiff

• ManofKent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dynamite body, so as to stop yourself from dropping the pen.

i'd baby that pen to no end.

i'd baby that pen to no end.

Yeah, and think about when it's time to flush it out... then you'll have WET dynamite... that's even more exciting.

- Anthony

Last time this came up on the FPN, the best answer was coprolite...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Last time this came up on the FPN, the best answer was coprolite...

Epic. 4F4.gif

In the hope I might learn something new; gain an insight on the topic.

Jar, the way you treat others doesn't make you look cool.

Ok I will be serious.

Sea Mineral Lava Explosion alumilite is my first choice for cool material.

Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

Dynamite body, so as to stop yourself from dropping the pen.

Hi AD,

I know you said this as a joke and that's cool, but just in case you didn't know... dynamite is quite safe. You can drop it, throw it... even hit it with a hammer and nothing will happen. You need blasting caps, (which are sort of like a little fire cracker), to set it off.

One instance where you do not want to drop it is if it becomes "wet." This happens from improper storage. Dynamite has to rotated regularly; otherwise, the nitroglycerin begins to settle and leech out of the powdered clay impregnated cellulose and forms free flowing liquid droplets... NOW you have problems... now the dynamite is "wet" and you DO NOT want to TOUCH it, let alone drop it. :o

I know this because two of the seven warehouses I manage, are licensed for explosives. ;)

-Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Cracked Ice ('50's) and Tortoise (30's) are nice.

Do Not Join the Pen of the Week in the Mail Club..........nor the Pen of the Month. With the Pen of the Quarter in the Mail Club you can gets such.....and know much more about what pens are cool and why you should want them.....outside pretty. :drool:

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/ZL6RrVDHwYC11282498416S_zpsz4g0ib8v.jpg

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/B2Cz0hwBGkKGrHqIOKjwEoGHglZJBMg8iqs1z_3%20-%20Copy_zpsxrrpxios.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Jar, the way you treat others doesn't make you look cool.

That still doesn't help explain what makes something cool?

Why would carbon fiber be considered "cool"? Why would one "cool" thing be more or less "cool" than another material?

Look at the suggestions so far. Some are exotic, some are strange, many would be pretty, a few actually interesting but what about them would make them "cool"?

My Website

...Look at the suggestions so far. Some are exotic, some are strange, many would be pretty, a few actually interesting but what about them would make them "cool"?

Hey there, Daddio,

I think all Wolverine was trying to lay on us is what pen materials do we think are making the scene.

Nothing to take too literally, man. :rolleyes:

- Anthony... one cool cat. :)

Hey there, Daddio,

I think all Wolverine was trying to lay on us is what pen materials do we think are making the scene.

Ooo, your talk of Wolverine has given me an idea . . . Adamantium !

Hey there, Daddio,

Never understood any of that either.

But if you look at what has been listed the list covers almost everything that has been used as well as many things that have not been used.

Maybe is we listed some reasoning why certain materials are "cool" it might make some sense.

My Website

Never understood any of that either.

But if you look at what has been listed the list covers almost everything that has been used as well as many things that have not been used.

Maybe is we listed some reasoning why certain materials are "cool" it might make some sense.

The problem is not knowing what "cool" means, or knowing what any other cultural concept means. The problem is knowing what knowing means. Epistemology.

The problem is not knowing what "cool" means, or knowing what any other cultural concept means. The problem is knowing what knowing means. Epistemology.

That might be pertinent if we were discussing "knowledge" or the issue of epistemology but either belief or knowledge would be relevant and helpful here.

A great example is the mention of "coprolites". One of my favorite bladesmiths used a coprolite as the handle of a sword he forged.

http://www.fototime.com/C10ED53C02FE583/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/E8E512FB6DF1902/large.jpg

Now granted that material can be described as "different", "interesting", "unique", "strange" and several other things. But why would someone believe or know it was "cool"?

The issue really is "what does a poster mean by "cool" when some material is mentioned?

My Website

That might be pertinent if we were discussing "knowledge" or the issue of epistemology but either belief or knowledge would be relevant and helpful here.

A great example is the mention of "coprolites". One of my favorite bladesmiths used a coprolite as the handle of a sword he forged.

http://www.fototime.com/C10ED53C02FE583/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/E8E512FB6DF1902/large.jpg

Now granted that material can be described as "different", "interesting", "unique", "strange" and several other things. But why would someone believe or know it was "cool"?

The issue really is "what does a poster mean by "cool" when some material is mentioned?

Apologies but the word faeces came into my dirty mind.

That sort of question leads eager students into either psychology or philosophy. After some years of diddling about with those disciplines, one can conclude that intellectual definition of abstract concepts is mental masturbation. Concepts like "cool" are best defined operationally. In other words, cool is what a valid cool test measures. Mental rabbit hole seen and avoided. At this point we should probably unhijack the thread. I think some of the colorful alumilites are cool.

7a190f3bc1d211198809fa66907c63ef.jpg

That still doesn't help explain what makes something cool?

Why would carbon fiber be considered "cool"? Why would one "cool" thing be more or less "cool" than another material?

Look at the suggestions so far. Some are exotic, some are strange, many would be pretty, a few actually interesting but what about them would make them "cool"?

You're really insufferable. You play the game of semantics and act like you're clueless? Are you serious? Its freaking subjective and you know it. Cool = what you like. We could just as easily turn your own logic against you on the very statement you just made:

"...some are strange, many would be pretty..."

WHAT??? Huh?? What is "strange"??? What is "pretty"? What makes something "pretty", Jar?? Goodness, I just don't understand what you mean!

All this in a new member's thread no less. How welcoming you are!

Edited by sirgilbert357

Why, the "precious resin" that is handcrafted and polished by special elves in the mountains of Switzerland.

Otherwise known as "cheap (expletive deleted)-ing plastic" by the detractors.