Cleaning Ink Rollerballs

Speaking of FP ink-based rollerballs like J. Herbin, Noodlers, Zebra R-301, etc. - what is the best way to clean the nib unit if switching to different inks?

Just flush with water and let it dry? Will it clean them properly?

Since they have much smaller writing tip, will water go through easily?

Scratching away on paper...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank66

• dgcom

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience, cleaning the rollerball unit is quite a predicament indeed.

I try to repeatedly force (1) water with a bulb syringe and (2) and then use compressed air too. With compressed air, one needs to make sure it is NOT contaminated with oil from the compressor.

I have retrofitted an inexpensive fountain pen (Jinhao 886) with a rollerball nib, and I can attest to the fun of using different fountain pen inks with a rollerball nib. It is my back-up pen, and I almost always carry it with me.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/B15A5215-B749-4D98-B0A8-A4D18C84B123_zpsimxwezl0.jpg

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/6E6047E8-6A9B-4D4A-8EC0-17FAC0900670_zpsnnphunit.jpg

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/C32FB105-16DA-4C58-9E59-5BAF450A4E0F_zpsfwlpvyvc.jpg

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

Thank you for the response, I'll try to soak, flush with water and let it dry.

I saw what you did to Jinhao, looks nice, but this looks a bit large.

For some reason I like J. Herbin roller ball - cheap and simple - nice alternative to FP when situation calls for it.

Thank you for the response, I'll try to soak, flush with water and let it dry.

I saw what you did to Jinhao, looks nice, but this looks a bit large.

For some reason I like J. Herbin roller ball - cheap and simple - nice alternative to FP when situation calls for it.

I like the Herbin rollerball, I like the way it looks, and I like the fact that it is transparent. Yes, like you said, my pen may be a little larger than the J Herbin roller ball, but it is quite small itself too, quite smaller than a x450 pen I would say. And it's cost is comparatively inexpensive too. And like you said, when it is time to change inks, it is quite a task to clean the rollerball nib from the old ink.

Compressed air must NOT be contaminated with oil, as in the case with some old air compressors, sorry for the typo above; this is what mostly works for me though. In abscence of compressed air, repeatedly flushing with water will do the job but, interestingly enough, not as easily as with a fountain pen nib though.

Edited by Frank66

Thank you for the correction :) I don't have air compressor on hand, but might try compressed air in the can.

I usually soak pens in water with couple of drops of dishwasher liquid - there is usually no rush and I can let it soak overnight, then flush and let dry for couple of days.

Helps to have several pens on hand :)

Anyway, once I use up current cartridge, I'll try to clean and try different inks - I'll post how it worked out.

Alternatively, I guess an ultrasonic cleaning bath could be used for cleaning the nib, if available.

I like the Herbin rollerball, I wish I could find it in my country, but last time I checked, I could not find it in a pen store. I could find Herbin inks though, of which I have two, which I like a lot,

Just to give you an idea of the dimensions of my rollerball pen, here is a photo vis-a vis a Jinhao x750 fountain pen, which is considered a medium size pen at ~14 cm length.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/41A6D93E-B425-40E3-B009-55440E6D2F5D_zpsxuqzgul2.jpg

Jinhao 886 rollerball pen at the top, Jinhao x750 at the bottom.

Edited by Frank66

Strange, that French made pen is available in US and not available in Greece... Can you order online from elsewhere in EU?

And thanks a lot for the picture! I have black x750 and this photo definitely helps me with size... Now I'd say it's just a fat cap, pen itself seems reasonably sized :)

Strange, that French made pen is available in US and not available in Greece...

... "Sometimes, it makes me wonder too... :) I guess local stores in general prefer to sell pens on a higher price range, where there is more profit.

But on the good side, there is a resurgence of fountain pen market in Greece, as of the last few years. Last month I was able to spot, for the first time, some Noodler's Ahab pens and a full palette of Noodler's inks in a local pen store! ...

Edited by Frank66