Most Popular Fountain Pen Brand In Sales Today / Percent Of Pens Today Sold Are Fountaon Pens?

RRE

Someone must know this. What is the most popular selling fountain pen brand(s) today in the USA or the world. What % of pens sold today are fountain pens? Thanks so much. Ron

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• max dog

• praxim

• RRE

Top Posters In This Topic

Realistically, this would be difficult to compile with global sellers who may not release sales data, and private companies that typically also don't release such data. Individual shops might be willing to break down their sales percentages, but not all shops carry the same brands, so a compilation would only be accurate to a point.

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

Outside of our little niche fountain pen comminity no one knows what a Lamy or Jinhao is.

Montblanc or Parker would be the most well known brand.

Bic.

Cynic :-)

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

% of pens sold that are fountain pens?

If we just look at luxury pens id say 20 to 10 % just based on volume of fountain pens to bp or rb pens at boutique pen shops. If you include BICs in the mix, then the percentage drops down to 0.0000000000000001% plus or minus a dozen zeroes.

By luxury I mean costing more than $10 or so.

Edited by max dog

Assessing by fountain pen shop means you are going to a particular market area, ignoring other areas in that country let alone other countries. If fountain pens are sold in China or India then see what is popular in those countries, plus countries which mandate use of fountain pens in schools.

X

Assessing by fountain pen shop means you are going to a particular market area, ignoring other areas in that country let alone other countries. If fountain pens are sold in China or India then see what is popular in those countries, plus countries which mandate use of fountain pens in schools.

It was intended to be a fun question.

I was talking to the people proposing going to pen shops to check stock presentation as a way of answering your question. If your question was not serious then the answer is of course 31%. Forty-two is for serious questions.

X

IMHO: The most selling fountain pens, the ones with the brightest colors.

Edited by CaaC

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

My guess would be pilot. I see the Metropolitan and the varsity pens from time to time at office supply stores. The metropolitan also seems to top most of the "what pen should a beginner get" lists online.

Definitely one of the Chinese or Indian brands. When I was studying in Beijing in the late 80s, everyone used a fountain pen. If that is still the case, then they buy a lot more pens than all of the hobbyists combined.

I enjoyed that thread. There were a lot of posts by users I don't see on here any more.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.