One Pen One Month Challenge

sandy101

You're definitely not the only one Sansenri! I change pens very often too, and part of what I hope to learn from this is what exactly pushes me to do this. Good luck with the rest of your challenge, I hope you'll get back to us at the end with more results :)

Well, I don't know what pushes me to do this either.

I have developed this desire, not just to own more fountain pens, but also to use more.

I often have several inked on my desk and randomly pick one up and doodle on paper I leave (purposely) next to them.

Obviously I also do use them properly (for example at work) but I also feel a sort of compulsion to write anything when I have one close...(tonight I washed and put away 6 different pens that had been left lying around, empty, but not cleaned yet).

It's odd, and I realize that before I started collecting/accumulating fountain pens 5-6 years ago, I did already use fountain pens but had one only at a time. I've had and used one fountain pen only at a time for quite a long number of years.

I know I considered it a writing instrument, and wasn't really interested in what model it was, or knowing more about it.

That suddenly changed a while back, and I started getting interested in the pens themselves, and started trying and buying more.

Edited by sansenri

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sandy101

• DrDebG

• NumberSix

• przeklasa

So two weeks into OPOM, it was beginning to feel rather torturous. I finally caved and spent this weekend inking up six-seven of my favourite writers again. But I thought I would come back and share a bit. Using the Franklin Christoph for two weeks was a very comfortable experience. The Masuyama nib was indeed glorious, but towards the end, I had got really tired of not having any variation in my writing experience. It became quite obvious that I value writing experience and variation very much, which is one of the reasons I continue to buy more pens. So that was a good insight to have.

I also found out, much to my surprise, that limiting my pens *does* limit my creativity. Looking at my fountain pens as tools for a task, instead of creative outlets, actually lessened my enthusiasm for writing and doodling in general. Over the past few years of using pens, I have come to enjoying having lots of complimentary colour sets inked up, and losing that was not a fun experience.

One great upside of the entire experiment was that I fell deeply in love with Tokiwa Matsu. The complexity is fascinating, I love watching the subtle colour shift as it dries. And it is capable of gorgeous colour variation when washed with water.

All in all, I had a fun time with it but it is truly a relief to come back to my normal number of currently inked pens. I wondered if I would miss them, and it is nice to know for sure.

It's been over 2 months since I have been using ONLY my Pelikan M200, F nib, with Noodlers Bad Belted Kingfisher ink. And loving it.

I dip into this thread now and again, but despite that I still don't truly understand it. It feels like an unnecessary self inflicted form of torture.

I dip into this thread now and again, but despite that I still don't truly understand it. It feels like an unnecessary self inflicted form of torture.

Well, it is a challenge; challenge implies struggle. It's meant to be a learning experience. I learned the second time doing it that I'd be quite satisfied with using just that one pen and ink, if circumstance so dictated.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

That's what you might think, but it is not as painful as it seems.

Part of the reason for starting the thread was to see if there was any merit in the argument that vintage pens, which were designed in the "golden age" of pens are better than "modern pens" when folk are not using their pens all day, every day. The other reason was to see whether using just one pen for a while made a difference. So, at the very least we have some anecdotal evidence -on one easy thread.

With the range of pens we've had seen so far - incredibly expensive Writer's editions that many here call "jewellery pens" to cheap Chinese or Indian pens - most people have managed to complete the challenge. So, for an everyday writer - price and whether it is vintage/modern is not much of an issue.

At some point the pens seem to have improved - ink flow gets better and the nib seems to work well. So, daily use of a pen seems to make it a much easier, and more pleasant tool to work with, rather than having one in rotation which is used once a week. In addition - your hand also adapts to the pen. So, the impression of what may be a heavy or light pen in the first days of use changes - which is important as so many pens are bought online these days, and how many people buy a pen, try it, don't like the weight and then don't use it? Personal comfort is still important, of course, but perception of weight can change over time because your hand will adapt.

The best advice to give a newbie, or someone buying a new pen is to choose a pen that fits your budget, and feels comfortable. Then, to use the pen for two weeks, before deciding whether to buy a new pen or not. By then, the nib and feed will be lubricated and the hand will have adapted to the pen. Paper and inks are still important - if the pen , paper and ink won't play well together, then you are not going to have much success.

People hav emisse inks, more than pens, whilst others have missed having a variety of nib options.

I've bought fewer pens since taking the challenge (although that doesn't mean I've spent less).

To truly learn about something or be good at something you need to understand that part of the learning is "less is more". And sort of step out of the box to learn.

In photography one really learns how to frame, understand depth of field and use it wisely, study the subject, get a feel for the camera, learn about light, etc much better and faster if you use just one fixed focal length lens on one camera and go take photographs for a month without using any other set up.

In golf, the same thing, play for a couple of weeks with only one club say a 5 iron or 7 iron. Practice with it, play the course with it, even bunker shots and putt with it and see how your game improves and handicap drops. It teaches you feel, how to hit a 3/4 shot, low ball flight shot, punch shot, chipping. It will improve your timing and coordination.

Same with anything really. Try it and your appreciation for the subject will increase and you will learn a lot about it.

To truly learn about something or be good at something you need to understand that part of the learning is "less is more". And sort of step out of the box to learn.

In photography one really learns how to frame, understand depth of field and use it wisely, study the subject, get a feel for the camera, learn about light, etc much better and faster if you use just one fixed focal length lens on one camera and go take photographs for a month without using any other set up.

One "should" learn to be both adaptable and versatile in order to become better at something, yes, but I don't agree that using the same tool for a month irrespective of the actual applications or "needs" along the way is particularly helpful.

I could practice kicking with (say) my left leg only for 15-minute sessions, throwing a variety of different kicks at targets that are at different distances, so that the leg becomes stronger and kicks become faster, thus relaxing some of the (sometimes self-imposed) constraints on which strikes I could use for a given split-second opportunity that presents itself. I could practice turning kicks (with either leg) only and refrain from using thrusting kicks for a session. I could practice using extents of steel pipes instead of my regular rattan fighting sticks of similar length, so as to open up my options in a fight in case my rattan sticks aren't handy at the time.

But that's just practice. Of course, you can practice by doing something in a proper real-life application, yes, and you will get better — likely after getting a number of less than optimal outcomes when they matter. There's no way I'd want to only tie my right hand behind my back, so to speak, in a real fight if it happens in the month of June even if I chose improving my left arm's strength and coordination as that month's training focus. Or only kick my way out of a situation using turning kicks, without availing myself to other techniques including using my arms.

Nor would I only use the large chef's knife for cutting, chopping, slicing, and peeling everything in the kitchen for a month when there is a perfectly good paring knife and a bread knife in the knife block. So I don't see why I would want to limit myself to using a pen with an Extra Fine nib for a month even when there is occasion to put down 1.5cm tall italic letters on cards, for example.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Then there's the one camera, one lens, one year school.

There are those that make a career out of it. Ralph Gibson F'rinstance. Vivian Maier .....

And yes, there are people that happily use one pen.

Add lightness and simplicate.

So I don't see why I would want to limit myself to using a pen with an Extra Fine nib for a month even when there is occasion to put down 1.5mm tall italic letters on cards, for example.

So, take your "limiting thoughts" elsewhere.

We're trying something, learning from it, and not doing anyone any harm.

If you don't see the point, then why waste your time, energy and our patience by commenting on this thread?

There's hundreds of other threads on this forum.

I believe it's a know fact that the more you practice one tool the more you get to know it and learn to exploit its strong points (and become aware of its weaknesses).

The one camera, one lens is a very tough, but revealing learning school.

When I started with photography many years ago, I had set my rule less rigidly on 3 fixed lenses only, a 28mm, a 50mm, an 85mm.

(the use of fixed lenses in photography critically enhances your skill in finding the right frame, as you cannot zoom in, you need to move to the right spot, which forces you to study all the possible framing options)

As far as pens are concerned I have used only one pen - and almost only one ink - for a much longer period (many years of my life).

I've completed my one month one pen challenge with a Stipula Etruria Notte di San Lorenzo last month, and can certainly confirm that using the same pen for a longer period helps to get to know it and appreciate it more.

If I had to decide to use one pen only, I know my writing output would not suffer (also due to the fact that I've done it before...). What would suffer (and has) is my strong desire to handle other pens!

So probably the playful part of this hobby/passion.

Where learning a writing tool would work best is specifically for improving mechanical skill with it. In this instance it would be improving handwriting and practicing calligraphy. That's because having proper grip, writing angle, not rotating the pen, finding the optimal balance holding position and the weight of the pen, etc. are factors; mechanical memory is developed gradually through use.

Whether that's important or not to an individual is subjective. Also one pen can be dedicated to such practice, and the rest for "fun".

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

If you don't see the point, then why waste your time, energy and our patience by commenting on this thread?

I don't see the point of the challenge, so I don't do it, but I'm not particularly interested in stopping others from doing it.

However, when someone explains their rationale to others tuned in who aren't yet taking the challenge, then it's worthwhile discussing the validity and value of their "reasons" for the benefit of those who are undecided.

And, who knows, someone may just enlighten me as to how they could produce large italic lettering with an EF nib, or alternatively how they would never choose to use an EF-nibbed pen for that challenge but still have ways of producing tiny lettering of 2mm x-height, so that their flexibility and capability is not actually hampered by the learning exercise.

The point of discussion is not inherently, necessarily or exclusively to support a proposed idea. Voicing my questions and doubts doesn't hurt anyone who has already made up their mind as to whether the challenge is worthwhile to take; and it doesn't hurt anyone who is still deciding, and could do with more input into their decision process.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

One "should" learn to be both adaptable and versatile in order to become better at something, yes, but I don't agree that using the same tool for a month irrespective of the actual applications or "needs" along the way is particularly helpful.

I could practice kicking with (say) my left leg only for 15-minute sessions, throwing a variety of different kicks at targets that are at different distances, so that the leg becomes stronger and kicks become faster, thus relaxing some of the (sometimes self-imposed) constraints on which strikes I could use for a given split-second opportunity that presents itself. I could practice turning kicks (with either leg) only and refrain from using thrusting kicks for a session. I could practice using extents of steel pipes instead of my regular rattan fighting sticks of similar length, so as to open up my options in a fight in case my rattan sticks aren't handy at the time.

But that's just practice. Of course, you can practice by doing something in a proper real-life application, yes, and you will get better — likely after getting a number of less than optimal outcomes when they matter. There's no way I'd want to only tie my right hand behind my back, so to speak, in a real fight if it happens in the month of June even if I chose improving my left arm's strength and coordination as that month's training focus. Or only kick my way out of a situation using turning kicks, without availing myself to other techniques including using my arms.

Nor would I only use the large chef's knife for cutting, chopping, slicing, and peeling everything in the kitchen for a month when there is a perfectly good paring knife and a bread knife in the knife block. So I don't see why I would want to limit myself to using a pen with an Extra Fine nib for a month even when there is occasion to put down 1.5cm tall italic letters on cards, for example.

I don't think you should, it would be a waste of time.

@ASD

the answer is just curiosity

no-one is forcing you to try this, by all means, and the question what's the point did arise before I started

of course I did not choose to start the challenge with a huge BB that would give me problems in case of note taking...

since I decided to do this at work, I knew what type of writing I would need to do, a good M would serve all my needs

Since I have used one pen only for very long periods of my life, I was curious to find out if I could still use one pen for all needs and in a way also try to understand what drives me to using many more pens (I have reached one different pen a day regimens...)

so no suffering, it was fun, also resisting the urge at times (and breaking the rule a few times, but for doodling only)

more than getting to know the pen, constant use of the same pen sort of strengthens the symbiosis... if I can put it that way

I used to use one pen for daily writing. And another pen for calligraphy. And when I traveled even for extended periods, I only used the writing pen.

And then I got a few more pens and keep three/five pens inked at a time.
But still for daily writing, I'm using mostly one pen, or two/three same nib/same pen with different ink colors. And then a couple other pens for ink mixes or for calligraphy.
The daily pens change by the season. No eyedroppers in winter.

I still travel with only one pen. Though it's a harder to choose which.

I come back to this thread thinking I'll do one pen for a month. But not yet, unless I'm traveling.

And, who knows, someone may just enlighten me as to how they could they could... or alternatively how they would never choose to use an EF-nibbed pen for that challenge but still have ways of producing tiny lettering of 2mm x-height, so that their flexibility and capability is not actually hampered by the learning exercise.

I practiced lots of Spencerian on 4x2mm=8mm French rule with my medium-fine noodler pseudo-flex nib. Still needs work, but I think I have a competent business hand now. I'm not going to tell you how I pulled it off. If you want to know, you need to do the challenge yourself.

I come back to this thread thinking I'll do one pen for a month. But not yet, unless I'm traveling.

I have been travelling with the same pen for the last few months (a Parker Sonnet SE), with a matching biro).

It makes life much easier from a practical point of view. I take the paper that matches the pen, and have a spare cartridge which fits.

When I travel (on business) I take two pens, two identical pens, usually two Pelikan m200s.

I use one pen, if I run out of ink I use the second one.

My trips are usually short enough not to run out of ink.

It's about reliability, which is one of the aspects you get to test in the one month one pen challenge.

When you're on business you cannot afford to pull out a pen and find it won't write...

I have a travel pen as well that I take to every trip - a "budget" Conklin Duragraph 'Merlot' with medium nib that was modified to a stub/CI. Also a couple of ink cartridges, usually J. Herbin Lie de The. That pen has traveled with me across many countries and 2 continents. If I were to lose that pen, I'd be very sad indeed. It is one of my favorites for writing in terms of nib performance, generous ink flow, and perfect dimensions and weight for my hand. It also doesn't dry out easily--still writes on first touch even after a month of sitting unused.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.”