Hi From Mexico!

crismarsan

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie in the fountain pen world, right now I only have a Pilot Metropolitan in fine point because that pen always shows up in many different sites as the best starter pen followed by the Lamy Safari, I have to say I'm enjoying a lot writing with my fountain pen, it replaced my Waterman Expert III Rollerball as my daily writer, even when that pen is more beautiful and comforftable to me, but watching how the ink deposits on the paper and dries as the pen glides gently onto it is just great (an even more because it's inked with Waterman Absolut Brown, standing out from the crowd) . Tomorrow I will receive my Lamy Safari in fine point and I then I will be able to compare, I know it will be a broader and wetter line. I'm waiting also for a Jinhao X750 too, it comes from China so maybe 15 or more days to arrive with a couple of black and blue cartridges and spare nibs (in case I get a bad one installed). I only have three Waterman inks: Absolute brown, and tomorrow I will receive Harmonious green and Mysterious blue of the same brand.

I've read a lot during the last three months about fountain pens and this site is just wonderful, I'm sure there are a lot of experience in every subject I know and the many more I don't know still.

As a starter in this matter it's impossible to read about srtarters without wondering how it would be to write when the more expensive pens because everyone says it's delightful. I couldn't resist teh tempattion and actually ordered a second hand Sailor 1911 from Japan (ebay). It was an auction an got it for 60 USD + 15 for shipping: .

I know it shuld be only my inroduction , but I want to ask what you think about it, that pen is a "vintage" . Would it be the same as a newer one? I noted the ebgraved pattern on the nib is different from the newer ones, is it bad? From the photos and reputation if the seller I suppose that was a good buy but I would like to know your opinion about that.

Thank you very much and sorry if my english is not perfect.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crismarsan

• penrivers

• jar

• DavidHL

Bienvenido, compatriota! As for vintage pens, I am not able to answer you, but I share with you the joy of writing with the best starter pens. Myself, I tried a pilot metropolitan in a medium Nib, and when I had a metro F in my hands, I was so delighted of the line it produced and the smoothness of the nib gliding all over the paper.

Best!

David

First, welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. IIRC the Sailor 1911 line was only introduced on the early 1990s so it will not be much different than anything made today. It's certainly not really vintage and should be just fine. That was just before the start of the Karat Wars so may come with a 14K nib.

My Website

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. You certainly did your research well and chose some great pens!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Welcome from the Sunshine state of Florida Crismarsan, I'm a newbie as well. I hope you find this forum as fun filled and informative as I do. :D

Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier. When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite ...

Hola DavidHL and thank you all for your kindly welcome. I'm glad to be here. Thank you jar for the info about the Sailor 1911. I'll be posting pictures in the right thread to share and clarify if the one I bought is only one of the first 1911 out there.

Welcome to the forum, ChrisMarsan. Technically, there's really no such thing as a beginner pen. However. They call the cheaper pens, beginner pens. I think this is where the term beginner pens comes from. If you want a good safe bet on a vintage pen, get yourself a Parker 51

Some regards

Allan

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

The Lamy Safari is a very nice pen to write with; so is the Sailor 1911. Expensive pens do not necessarily write "better" than cheaper pens. My Lamy Safari writes a lot better than some very expensive limited edition pens I have. Sailor pens usually have very fine nibs; for instance a "Medium" (in a Japanese pen) is more or less the same line width as a "Fine" (European).

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome !

I enjoy using vintage fountain pens. The ink reservoirs typically need service. Once serviced, I find vintage fountain pens, that survive the decades, to be reliable and pleasant to use, especially the higher-tier pens.

Contemporary fountain pens from China can be excellent value. Modern plastic manufacturing is mostly "molded" plastic. The lubricant, used in molds, for clean release, often leaves a residue.

I prepare all modern pens with a detergent rinse, before first ink.

My friend, my English is not perfect either, and I have no Spanish. Like a vintage fountain pen, minor imperfections are seen as "character". I have no difficulty understanding your narrative.

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Welcome aboard from Charleston, SC. I hope you are enjoying the Safari that was to arrive today, and I'm sure you are looking forward to the Sailor. Have fun!

Mike

¡Bienvenido al Fountain Pen Network! Estos saludos son del el estado de Oregon.

Espero que aprendas mucho en este foro. Y perdona mi Español, yo casi no lo escribo desde niña. :)

Look around, you'll find others just learning about fountain pens too.

Every word written is a victory against death. -Michel Butor

(back after being away for a while)

Greetings and welcome!

:W2FPN:

...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.