Cross Ballpoint Case Slipping, Point Won't Extend

Moonshae

Hi all,

I have a ballpoint and pencil set that I got as a gift when I graduated college more than 20 years ago. I didn't use them much then because I felt that they were too nice to use as a day to day pen. Eventually, I decided that was foolish and began using both regularly. Eventually I found my hand cramping from holding such a small barrel, so into my desk they went, and there they sat.

In cleaning out my desk to make room for FP stuff, I came across them again. I've found that either in the meantime, somehow, or while I was still using them and forgot, the case slides when I twist the clip end to extend the tip, so the tip doesn't come out the end of the barrel. I have to slide the case ends together to get the tip to show.

They're engraved and I'm not looking to sell them or anything, but I would like to get the ballpoint in good working order, even if I don't plan to use it. Any advice?

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moonshae

• Chris

• RMN

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

AFAIK those systems are friction fit.

After a while the friction can fail, like a tire without profile.

Remove the cap and grab the inner shaft with your fingers and turn. If that works it is indeed the friction between back part and front end of the pen.

I Think Cross gives a lifetime Warranty. Contact them for info where and how to send it.

Be sure to mention that it is engraved and you value the original pen.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

AFAIK those systems are friction fit.

After a while the friction can fail, like a tire without profile.

Remove the cap and grab the inner shaft with your fingers and turn. If that works it is indeed the friction between back part and front end of the pen.

I Think Cross gives a lifetime Warranty. Contact them for info where and how to send it.

Be sure to mention that it is engraved and you value the original pen.

D.ick

It is indeed friction fit; I took it apart to see if I could figure out the problem. I didn't realize they had such a warranty; that seems like the smartest move.

Thanks!

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

• 2 weeks later...

The mechanism can get gummed up if it sits for too long unused. I think the lubricant dries out. Then twisting the cap doesn't expel the point but the cap can slip around the inner part into which the refill is screwed.

Take off the cap and gently try to turn the silver sleeve the way it would go normally. Do it gently and perhaps warm it a little with your hands. Eventually normal service will be restored, or ought to be.

I have seen suggestions about adding the tiniest drop of oil to loosen things up but that can lead to problems with the point coming out and not staying out as everything is too loose.

• 2 weeks later...

If it is tight when you turn the inner piece, with the cap removed, there are a few suggestions

• Remove the ink refill, then heat the pen with a hair dryer, to soften the old lube, and see if that makes it turn easier.
  • Drip alcohol (just a tiny bit at a time) between the body and inner piece. See if the alcohol softens the dried lube.
  • Send the pen to Cross. BUT you need to tell them that the pen has sentimental value, and want it returned. I have read where they sometimes swap pens, and send you another or new pen. But then you loose your original pen.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 1 year later...

If the inner mechanism won't turn, take out the refill and then stand the pen, so it is completely covered, in a container of very hot water, such as a glass, or run it under the hot water tap (faucet) in the kitchen or bathroom for a minute or two. Gently try to twist the mechanism. It may take a few of attempts to get totally free movement but be patient.and you should get there eventually. I have found you don't need alcohol or oil or anything else. The original lubricant seemingly dries up and the hot water treatment softens it. This method worked brilliantly for me on a pen that at first seemed beyond redemption.