Aurora Blue-Black

Guest Gracie

Guest Gracie

Has anyone tried the new Aurora blue-black ink? I just bought an Aurora pen and would like to try the ink, but I don't know how it behaves, or if I can just mix my blue and black Aurora inks to get the same thing.

Any comments?

Cheers, Gracie

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyber6

• The Good Captain

• brinda55

• ErrantSmudge

Hi Gracie:

I do believe some bloggers have done a review. It is Aurora's latest edition to their existing inks of Blue & Black.

I did purchase one bottle recently at a Pen Show and the ink seems to behave well. No real issues.

May I ask which Aurora did you purchase?

Guest Gracie

Certainly, I threw all good intentions to the wind and bought the new Aurora 88 Flex nib pen. :blush: I've only had it for a few days so I'm in no position to write a review of the lovely lady, but so far I am very impressed, although unless I find the perfect combination of paper and ink, I haven't been able to see how this pen would be particularly good for Spencerian writing (as I had hoped) unless possibly on a rather large scale. Other than just loving the way it feels on the paper, I'm not sure what the perfect match of script and nib is for this sweetheart. Uncial maybe? The thin hairlines necessary for Spencerian or Copperplate seem to be out of the question so far.

I hear now that Aurora is planning to bring out more colours of this pen, so although it is limited to 188 pieces in each of the red and blue now available, I believe that there will be 188 pieces of maybe another 5 or 6 colours, so that will make a considerable number of these pens available. I love the colour of their new Nebulosa, but I wouldn't spend that much just for a pretty pen, although I wish that the Nebulosa had come with this nib. I also have heard that the nib will fit in quite a few of their models, including the Nebulosa, so whether that means that Aurora is hoping the purchaser will buy both, or whether it means that eventually, after creating as many colours as seem to be good for business, they will sell the nibs alone to fit into other models, I couldn't say.

In any case, all I can say at this point is that the pen seems to feel great in the hand, holds a goodly amount of ink, and dances over the paper like Fred Astaire. :rolleyes:

As a question/inquiry..... this should be on Inky Thoughts, not Ink Reviews.

I was quite eager to check this thread... and quite disappointed it was not an Ink review.. ;)

C.

Has anyone tried the new Aurora blue-black ink? I just bought an Aurora pen and would like to try the ink, but I don't know how it behaves, or if I can just mix my blue and black Aurora inks to get the same thing.

Any comments?

Cheers, Gracie

Edited by Cyber6

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I hear now that Aurora is planning to bring out more colours of this pen, so although it is limited to 188 pieces in each of the red and blue now available, I believe that there will be 188 pieces of maybe another 5 or 6 colours, so that will make a considerable number of these pens available.

Not that many, only a few colors left... Blue, Red - done.. next ones are orange, brown, green (can't remember if there are more... )

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I love it - it's a great ink and works really well in my 88F large.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I wasn't looking for another blue-black ink, but I bought this one sight unseen. It writes beautifully, with medium flow, in my Talentum with a 14K M nib.

Guest Gracie

Thanks so much to everyone for the information on the ink, and sincere apologies, Cyber6, for posting this in the wrong place. I thought it was an inquiry into an ink review. I'll know for next time. :headsmack:

To The Good Captain and ErrantSmudge - any suggestions for purchasing some of this ink?

Thanks so much to everyone for the information on the ink, and sincere apologies, Cyber6, for posting this in the wrong place. I thought it was an inquiry into an ink review. I'll know for next time. :headsmack:

No need to apologize.. it was mainly an FYI for next time. ;) In any case the thread was moved, so all is good. :lol:

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

To The Good Captain and ErrantSmudge - any suggestions for purchasing some of this ink?

Well, The Writing Desk and Write Here, both in the UK, have it in stock - in theory!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

or if I can just mix my blue and black Aurora inks to get the same thing.

Any comments?

Cheers, Gracie

Hello. I doubt that you'll get the same thing as blue black by mixing the straight blue and straight black.

This ink has a unique character of its own. Lovely sheen.

Guest Gracie

I'm getting more and more interested in this ink and its unique character. I haven't been on either of those two sites before, and they are very nice, especially The Writing Desk, which does have the blue-black, so I'll order it now. I also found that there is a 20% discount for Canadians on the Write Here site! Tempting.

Thanks again for all the help. There's nothing like FPN when you don't live near anything!

Cheers, Gracie

I'm getting more and more interested in this ink and its unique character. I haven't been on either of those two sites before, and they are very nice, especially The Writing Desk, which does have the blue-black, so I'll order it now. I also found that there is a 20% discount for Canadians on the Write Here site! Tempting.

Thanks again for all the help. There's nothing like FPN when you don't live near anything!

Cheers, Gracie

Uhmm... where is this site... Just wondering?... :P

Edit: Silly me... I just saw the post above with the link.

But I don't see the Aurora Blue/Black there. :(

C.

Edited by Cyber6

**** BauerInks.ca ****

Not sure I have a recommendation for a good Canadian source of Aurora ink. Someone?

Guest Gracie

No, the Write Here site has the 20% offer for Canadians, but no Aurora Blue-Black, sadly, so I ordered that from The Writing Desk, as suggested.

There are other goodies on the Write Here site for which one could use the 20% offer, however, such as the Edelstein Smoky Quartz ink ($22.97 + $11.44 shipping = $34. 41) which is a considerable saving over the cost that I paid yesterday from Wonder Pens ($45 + $8 shipping = $53).

I haven't yet found the Aurora Blue-Black in Canada, although the Black and the Blue can be found at Wonder Pens in Toronto, Stylus Fine Pens in Edmonton, Stylo.ca in Quebec, and probably at Vancouver Pen (no web site). Other sources?

Edited by Gracie

Guest Gracie

Thanks for that. I've realized that with the difference in the value of the US and Canadian dollars plus the duty on goods coming from the US, that it is considerably cheaper for Canadians to purchase things from the UK or Europe than from the US. I hadn't yet started to check Ebay.co.uk, however, so I will do so.

Hello. I doubt that you'll get the same thing as blue black by mixing the straight blue and straight black.

This ink has a unique character of its own. Lovely sheen.

Just as another FYI in this thread, they're chemically incompatible and can't be mixed... for very long. In a fairly short time the black eradicates the blue dye, and the mix loses all lubrication as well. ("Ask Me How I Know")

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

I purchased this ink a few weeks ago and it is awesome. My Delta Dolcevita 18k gold nib loves it. Behaves well and is a nice shade of blue black. I highly recommend.

Keep your nose clean and your nib wet.

-Mullen88

Guest Gracie

Just as another FYI in this thread, they're chemically incompatible and can't be mixed... for very long. In a fairly short time the black eradicates the blue dye, and the mix loses all lubrication as well. ("Ask Me How I Know")

I won't ask how you know :lol: but I'm wondering if you have tried the Platinum mixable inks?