Is This Mold?

theAdventurer

Can someone tell me if this is mold? What should I do?

I am fairly new to fountain pens and still trying to figure things out. I bought this jinhao 9009 pen from China about 2 weeks ago but it wasn't until today when I pullout the converter to find it underneath. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be glue or mold, but i am a little worried. 🙁

post-136266-0-70667100-1492942223_thumb.jpg

Edited by theAdventurer

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theAdventurer

• Astronymus

• Chrissy

• Erik Dalton

I'm no expert but it looks like some residue from sloppy production. Is it hard or soft?

I've pulled out the thing inside the pen and it's really hard to tell if it is hard or soft because it is so small. In fact I don't even feel it on my finger, so I so it's definitely not hard. I've also checked the ink bottle that I've used with i and noticed some black specks at the bottom when turning at an angle . One thing to note though is the ink bottle is very old. It's a pelican 4001 [78]. Probably over 15 or 20 years old. It bought during the time it cost 2$ for a 30 ml bottle. The weird part is I'm ink is supposed to be blue-black, but after the ink dries it turn into this color that looks like it was written by a pencil. I've attached the pictures. What do you guys think?

post-136266-0-24923800-1492968028_thumb.jpg

post-136266-0-30906000-1492968060_thumb.jpg

Edited by theAdventurer

Maybe a worker left his bogey there for you before he put in the converter. :lol:

About the ink. Looks more like sediments of the ink pigments. Doesn't look like a slimy biofilm.

Maybe a worker left his bogey there for you before he put in the converter. :lol:

About the ink. Looks more like sediments of the ink pigments. Doesn't look like a slimy biofilm.

I've touched boogers before, it at least have texture. I can't even feel this thing on my finger.

What do you guys think I should do?

Actually it sounds like an iron-gall ink that's gone bad. That doesn't mean moldy, but IG inks will oxidize in the bottle when exposed to air, and they'll change color as you've described. I'd bought a bottle of old Pelikan 4001 Blue-black, which is an IG ink, and that is what had happened. Looks like solids have formed, chemically, in the ink as well.

So I don't think mold, but I also think the ink isn't any good any longer. I'd clean the pen well and toss the ink.

Actually it sounds like an iron-gall ink that's gone bad. That doesn't mean moldy, but IG inks will oxidize in the bottle when exposed to air, and they'll change color as you've described. I'd bought a bottle of old Pelikan 4001 Blue-black, which is an IG ink, and that is what had happened. Looks like solids have formed, chemically, in the ink as well.

So I don't think mold, but I also think the ink isn't any good any longer. I'd clean the pen well and toss the ink.

+1...I know it's hard for you, but it's time to toss the ink.

Thank you for the advice everyone! Should I also dispose of the pen? I did notice it seems to have negative impact on the pen near the tip area. If I dip the pen in another ink bottle will that affect my ink or my other pens that share the same bottle?

post-136266-0-30782800-1492975835_thumb.jpg

Unless you can get all of the section parts of your pen scrupulously clean then I fear it might leave some remnants of the 'stuff' in your next, new, ink bottle. I assume it's not an expensive pen and maybe you could afford to toss it?

Got it! Considered that pen gone. Can I clean out the previous ink bottle and reuse it? I'm in need of a smaller ink bottle to transfer some ink when 350 ml ink bottle arrive. I know I sound pretty cheap right about now. 😁

Edited by theAdventurer

If you are able to decontaminate it with e.g. alcohol or bleach why not. The glas is the easy part. Dont forget the lid and sealing, which may not survive some of those aggressive substances...

Got it! Considered that pen gone. Can I clean out the previous ink bottle and reuse it? I'm in need of a smaller ink bottle to transfer some ink when 350 ml ink bottle arrive. I know I sound pretty right about now.

Can you get everything out of the bottle cap then wash the cap and bottle in a dishwasher? You will need to make a new insert for the cap afterwards, but that's easy enough.

I meant to say I sound pretty cheap. 😁😁😁

Thank you so much for you guys otherwise I'd be completely lost.

I'm thinking about just submerge everything in water and dishwashing soap for 24 hours.

Edited by theAdventurer

I meant to say I sound pretty cheap.

Thank you so much for you guys otherwise I'd be completely lost.

I'm thinking about just submerge everything in water and dishwashing soap for 24 hours.

That isn't sufficient to sanitize, that will only clean. If you have a homebrew shop nearby, they sell various sanitizers inexpensively that you can use; just follow the dilution instructions, as more is not better.

The bottle can be boiled, but boiling will likely ruin the cap. It could be worth the risk for convenience.

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

Just put some 90% ispropa- something alcohol. NOTHING, I repeat, NOTHING SURVIVES THAT STUFF.

Found this on another thread. I learned a bit too. Think it's good guidance, from Brianm_14:

Ammonia, with it's high pH will kill many microorganisms, including fungi. You need to use it on an already clean pen, as dirt and oil or grease can protect the bugs. And you need to allow sufficient contact time. Say, at least 10 - 15minutes.

It is more important to clean the pen thoroughly. As a university microbiologist, I do food safety consultation. Very similar problems in many ways. We stress (or should) thorough cleaning with a dilute solution of an effective detergent, such Dawn. This will remove million of bacteria or mold cells and spores. Cleaning, followed by rinsing, will remove far more microorganisms than any safe disinfectant can kill. Indeed, in food service, the use of sanitizers is more to reassure the public and the sanitarian than to actually kill food-borne illness bugs.

So wash with very dilute Dawn, rinse, repeat. Use friction from a soft cloth or brush to help. Ultrasonic cleaning can help, too. Rinse well again. Then try using the pen flush. Rinse, then air dry under a new paper towel. Desiccation will also kill microorganisms.

i think you are right to be cautious, but don't become overly alarmed: the chances of infecting your ink are still small. Still I like clean pens carefully before I put them into use. But be cautios so that you do not damage pens.

good luck!

I'm going to use the Dawn, amonia, and wiping down method on my empty ink bottles.

Found this on another thread. I learned a bit too. Think it's good guidance, from Brianm_14:

Ammonia, with it's high pH will kill many microorganisms, including fungi. You need to use it on an already clean pen, as dirt and oil or grease can protect the bugs. And you need to allow sufficient contact time. Say, at least 10 - 15minutes.

It is more important to clean the pen thoroughly. As a university microbiologist, I do food safety consultation. Very similar problems in many ways. We stress (or should) thorough cleaning with a dilute solution of an effective detergent, such Dawn. This will remove million of bacteria or mold cells and spores. Cleaning, followed by rinsing, will remove far more microorganisms than any safe disinfectant can kill. Indeed, in food service, the use of sanitizers is more to reassure the public and the sanitarian than to actually kill food-borne illness bugs.

So wash with very dilute Dawn, rinse, repeat. Use friction from a soft cloth or brush to help. Ultrasonic cleaning can help, too. Rinse well again. Then try using the pen flush. Rinse, then air dry under a new paper towel. Desiccation will also kill microorganisms.

i think you are right to be cautious, but don't become overly alarmed: the chances of infecting your ink are still small. Still I like clean pens carefully before I put them into use. But be cautios so that you do not damage pens.

good luck!

The damage near the nib looks like corrsion to me. Iron gall inks will corrode steel and many other metals. Gold is impervious to the corrosive effects of iron gall ink, so it's usually wise to use an iron gall ink only in a pen where any metal components that the ink will come into contact with are actual gold, not gold plated.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, 1.5.167-168