Sheaffer Carmine Lever Fill

corgicoupe

I attended the Atlanta pen show yesterday with one major goal in mind--to find a carmine Sheaffer fountain pen. I had some secondary criteria, and I finally found a standard size, lever fill pen. It was not a white dot, but that's okay. Now I'd like to know the model name and approximate year of manufacture. The body is engraved 1000, the cap clip is plain, the cap band is 1/8", the standard open nib is engraved Sheaffer's 14k, and the nib is two-tone.

I'm hoping for some feedback based on this description, but I can post a photo tomorrow.

Edited by corgicoupe

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corgicoupe

• ink-syringe

• AL01

• Estragon

Carmine was introduced in 1939 so it is only at the end of the balance era. There are two full length non white dot options. The Admiral Feathertouch and the Milady Feathertouch the latter being thinner. That handles your cap possibilities and the barrel makes the cap an Admiral as we will see. The pen barrel is a lifetime model for a Statesman as Non white dots would have 500 codes and yours is 1000. Essentially, this is a frankenpen or parts pen or a mismatch. Still, I bet it is a great writer.

Roger W.

It is a "fine" writer [as the nib is fine]. I had wondered about the possibility of a non-white dot cap on a white dot pen, but don't have enough knowledge to make those decisions, sp thank you for the opinion. I will probably go back to the show for a couple of hours today, so I may ask the seller about that possibility.

Robert Frost

Sounds like a Sheaffer Balance Admiral. An excellent pen. Or perhaps a cap from one on a different pen

Edited by ink-syringe

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Here are a few images of the pen in question.

The pen is 5 3/8" long capped, and 5 17/32" long uncapped.

Barrel diameter is 29/64" and cap diameter is 17/32"

And, as stated previously, the barrel is engraved with the 1000 price.

The cap band is 3/32" wide.

fpn_1493078955__josip_lasta_014s.jpg

The nib is engraved: SHEAFFER'S

Reg US PAT OFF

MADE IN USA

fpn_1493078190__josip_lasta_016s.jpg

I added this in case the feed is important for identification.

fpn_1493078225__josip_lasta_017s.jpg

Edited by corgicoupe

Robert Frost

Nice pen! :thumbup:

Based on your description and photos, I'll second Roger's assessment: Statesman barrel (indicated by the 1000 price stamp) and Admiral cap (indicated by lack of white dot). An Admiral barrel would be stamped 500 I believe.

Note that the LONG Balance Junior was also full-length (and thinner girth). I've a Carmine Jr. of these proportions in my collection. Though naturally it would be hard to confuse it with your pen!

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Metal Trim! —> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein) | Balance (grey/red fleck); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, green, ebonized pearl); First-Yr Crest (silver cap) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (clean persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: "half" Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers: Diamond Medal (grey pinstripe, marble stripe, etc.)

Even though it is a mix, I'm sure glad that I made the purchase at what I believed to be a fair price, since it was restored by a well respected guy.

Robert Frost

Nib is from a later statesman too.

Yeah, as far as I know, the only discrepancy between the barrels just is the price code stamp. So unless you're a die-hard Sheafferhead looking to add a factory proper Admiral to your collection, it's a difference that doesn't make much of a difference at all.

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Metal Trim! —> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein) | Balance (grey/red fleck); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, green, ebonized pearl); First-Yr Crest (silver cap) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (clean persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: "half" Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers: Diamond Medal (grey pinstripe, marble stripe, etc.)

That feed looks like it mates with a #5 nib and that is a 73/74 or even 8 size nib. That would concern me some.

Fortunately, I'm not a diehard Sheaffer-head, but I really like the carmine. I was aware that the nib is probably post-war, but that too does not matter to me. The restorer/seller is so well known in the community that I am not concerned.

Robert Frost

Looks like sweet pen. I have a few Frankensheaffers myself those nibs are generally very good so long as the feet fits well enough. and I generally like that finish much more than sought after rose glow. I have a striated Balance Premier with a 1950s era factory replacement nib and it is probably my best pen. I would just be a little bit concerned that the nib is so much larger than the feed but if the dealer says it writes well if you got yourself a nice pen in a pretty finish. Enjoy.

Here are a few images of the pen in question.

The pen is 5 3/8" long capped, and 5 17/32" long uncapped.

Barrel diameter is 29/64" and cap diameter is 17/32"

And, as stated previously, the barrel is engraved with the 1000 price.

The cap band is 3/32" wide.

fpn_1493078955__josip_lasta_014s.jpg

The nib is engraved: SHEAFFER'S

Reg US PAT OFF

MADE IN USA

fpn_1493078190__josip_lasta_016s.jpg

I added this in case the feed is important for identification.

fpn_1493078225__josip_lasta_017s.jpg

Don't mind if I ask a question or two...

Is the nib stiff?

Is it Sheaffer - y?

How's the clip?

Does it like pockets?

Is the section celluloid?

Don't mind if I ask a question or two...

Is the nib stiff?

I don't feel qualified to thoroughly answer this question. I don't think it feels like a Parker 51, but it's certainly not very flexible. It's a Fine nib, and I write with little pressure, so there is no line variation.

Is it Sheaffer - y?

I have to admit that I don't know what ""Sheaffer-y" is. I only have 4 or 5 and I've not made any comparisons. What are you looking for here?

How's the clip?

The clip is not too stiff, so it will slide into a pocket easily.

Does it like pockets?

I carry it in a leather case so I can't address this. And I rarely wear a shirt with pockets since retiring.

Is the section celluloid?

Yes, I believe so. I can see that it is translucent when I hold it up to the light.

I hope this is helpful to you. I like the carmine and have been looking for one for two years. I saw several others at the Atlanta show but all of them were TM [thin models], and this was the only standard size that I saw.

Robert Frost

I meant pants pockets :P . (All of my pens use 'em.)

Sheaffer - y means that it's a Sheaffer. (Whether it be a School Pen or a Legacy.) You know a Sheaffer when ya see one. I think it is, but in all of my vintage pen hunts, I've seen dirty overpriced ones, not restored ones.

It's Sheaffer-y, then. Completely restored by a well-known restorer. He even polished the sides of the fill lever.

I would never put a lever-fill pen in a pants pocket, nor any plastic or celluloid pens.

Edited by corgicoupe

Robert Frost