Grey Inks That Don't Feather On Cheap Paper

PotatoJesus

I would like to enlist the help of you pen ink connoisseurs. I would like to use a grey ink to take notes with for school ( I want keep colors like black and blue to outline important points) and I am not sure which inks would be the best to use on cheaper paper. I would of course be using a fine nib (Kaweco/bock, might try to get an extra fine nib not sure yet), but I'm not sure which grey inks have the best reputation for not feathering on lower quality paper. I'm not too worried about show through, because it being a lighter color it won't be too bad to look at. I want to stay away from extremely light (Gris Nuage) or anything that is close to black, something that is more graphite looking is preferable. Right now the biggest contender is Noodler's Lexington Grey but i'm not sure how well it works on cheap paper.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PotatoJesus

• Moonshae

• mge01park

• PS104

Top Posters In This Topic

Levenger greystoke and Stipula dark gray are both excellent. You should be able to get the $1 samples from Goulet Pen and then you'll be able to decide. Stipula is also coming out with a fading gray. One of my favorites when it was available was a gray from Campo De Marzio which I use very sparingly.

I have de Atramentis Frankincense, which is a grey ink. I can't speak to its performance on cheap paper, but if you'd like a sample, send me a PM with your address and I'll get it right out to you.

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

I have de Atramentis Frankincense, which is a grey ink. I can't speak to its performance on cheap paper, but if you'd like a sample, send me a PM with your address and I'll get it right out to you.

That's actually very nice of you! I am not too good at receiving kindness like that :blush: , but you don't have to go out of your way to send me some ink! It's more than enough to name a few inks to get me going into the right direction.

That's actually very nice of you! I am not too good at receiving kindness like that :blush: , but you don't have to go out of your way to send me some ink! It's more than enough to name a few inks to get me going into the right direction.

It's really no trouble. I have some empty sample jars and more ink than I can use. Why buy a bottle you may not like if you can try it first for free?

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

I wish I had some recommendations but I've just 'discovered' gray inks and am just starting on my journey

​Thanks for starting the thread. I'll be watching this thread very carefully

Glad to have the company

KWZI Lux Grey does fairly well on crappy paper. Both Diamine Grey and Graphite do good job as well.

+1 for both Diamine Grey and Graphite. Lovely inks both

It's really no trouble. I have some empty sample jars and more ink than I can use. Why buy a bottle you may not like if you can try it first for free?

I was planning on grabbing them as ink samples from goulet or anderson pens if they don't have it

You also want the pen to write a bit dry.

Too much ink will also cause feathering, especially on some of the cheap paper.

BTW, I have Lexington Grey in a pen, and the ink line is almost as dark as some of my lighter black inks. This is because the pen is WET and is putting down a LOT of ink.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com