Giving Chinese Pens More Respect And A Poll

Maurizio

Which 3 Chinese Pens Would Pay More For If They Were Better Made?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. 1st Choice

2. 2. 2nd Choice

3. 3. 3rd Choice

Well, I have fallen off the wagon. I plunked for the offer of 15 pens for $27 :doh: . I would have considered trying to get the same thing for $25, but I had such a hard time getting Flea-Bay and PayOpponent to work that it took from yesterday to the middle of this afternoon to get the purchase to happen. After all of that I just wanted to get the transaction done before the vendor ran out of stock. So I guess that I'm paying $2 more than I could have. I hope that the Jinhao 992s are good enough that I will be able to forget the entire buying experience.

After reading your story, I hope the 992's are good enough that you don't put out a contract on me. :unsure:

ISW, sorry for gently kicking you off the back of wagon while tossing banana peels at your feet, but here's hoping we're both happy with our purchases. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maurizio

• ParkerDuofold

• TSherbs

• AL01

It seems to me a mistake to associate a level of quality with a country. Quality is a brand decision, not an ethnic characteristic. Certainly there are Chinese pen brands that have positioned themselves at the lowest possible price point, and have sacrificed materials and controls to get there. But there are also brands made in China that are showing high quality at higher prices: Parker, Sheaffer, and Cross, to name a few. Rather than asking a company like Jinhao to extend their brand into a price range where it will face a lot of initial resistance (you paid $60 for a JINHAO????) why not just buy a Cross or a Sheaffer?

ron

I'm glad we understand each other across the ether waves. And, I respect your opinion. Thanks for your comments Blatherscribe.

Thanks. Kindly said. And I appreciate the discussion. :)

It seems to me a mistake to associate a level of quality with a country. Quality is a brand decision, not an ethnic characteristic.

Nobody is saying that quality is an ethnic characteristic :doh: .

As for associating a level of quality with a country, that is quite appropriate when that country has a command economy, or has had a mostly command economy over the past seven decades.

The so-called People's Republic of China is not a free enterprise place. The government either owns the means of production,runs the factories or dictates the acceptable businesses that may exist. The government is s partner, often a very close partner, in all endeavors that involve production and the movement of currency. So the level of quality of so much production that comes from the Chairman Mao founded PRC is absolutely decided by the rulers of that country.

Certainly there are Chinese pen brands that have positioned themselves at the lowest possible price point, and have sacrificed materials and controls to get there. But there are also brands made in China that are showing high quality at higher prices: Parker, Sheaffer, and Cross, to name a few.

All three of those companies are ones that have outsourced production to the PRC. Not one of them originated there, and all are still based in other countries. Arguably, the quality of those companies' current production is not what it used to be owing to their decision to outsource to the state-subsidized lowest bidder.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

...As for associating a level of quality with a country, that is quite appropriate when that country has a command economy, or has had a mostly command economy over the past seven decades.

The so-called People's Republic of China is not a free enterprise place. The government either owns the means of production,runs the factories or dictates the acceptable businesses that may exist. The government is s partner, often a very close partner, in all endeavors that involve production and the movement of currency. So the level of quality of so much production that comes from the Chairman Mao founded PRC is absolutely decided by the rulers of that country.

All three of those companies are ones that have outsourced production to the PRC. Not one of them originated there, and all are still based in other countries. Arguably, the quality of those companies' current production is not what it used to be owing to their decision to outsource to the state-subsidized lowest bidder.

+1 across the board. :)

I said mostly the same thing above, but deleted the text like a gutless coward :blush: because I didn't want to get too "political," but it isn't "political"; it is merely a statement of fact.

You had similar levels of quality in Soviet Russia and her satellite governments in the Eastern Bloc, with just a few exceptions, such as the Makarov pistol.

Communism and/or government controlled entities do not typically partner well with high quality... of course, there are always exceptions to every rule, but I attribute the improvement in the quality of Chinese pens the past few years primarily to the Chinese Government's selective relaxation of some of the rules and regs.

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

+1 across the board. :)

I said mostly the same thing above, but deleted the text like a gutless coward :blush: because I didn't want to get too "political," but it isn't "political"; it is merely a statement of fact.....

- Anthony

Actually, both you and Ruth are posting mixtures of fact and generalization and opinion. But that is ok. I think that there is more freedom of QC and more free-market enterprise in current manufacturing in China than either one of you is suggesting, but we are each simply stating opinions on that.

I don't purchase high-end Chinese pens; I purchase low-price models. They are excellent pens for their price, in my opinion. In my experience, they are the best sub-10$ (refillable) fountain pens made anywhere on the planet. But I own only about 30 low-price pens, so I know I have not tried them all.

The Pilot Petit is also very very good for its price. (so is the Varsity, but not the Platinum Preppie)

Regardless of the country's economic and commerce (and even social) practices, my Chinese-based pens have my respect and appreciation.

If Goulet hadn't been doing a BOGO deal on Jinhaos last weekend, I wouldn't have even considered one and would have just ordered the TWSBI like I planned. But upon reading/watching various reviews and learning that I wasn't chained to the medium nib it shipped with, I decided to give them a shot. Ordered a 159 with the X750 as the freebie. And I'm glad I did.

The 159 is an absolute monster. Nice to write with, and certainly makes an impression when someone else catches a look at it. But the X750 is the breakout star. Nice size and shape, and more comfortable to me than the 159. I've ordered a second X750 off of eBay for $2.79US shipped. It'll be interesting to see what how that one compares to the ones the US sellers have on hand.

If that one's also a winner, I may get a third to be my designated Baystate Blue pen. :)

That's why I bought it, as well. I too, stumbled across the BOGO. I have one inked with BSB. Another is inked with Noodlers KTC. I'm just floored at how much I like these pens considering that most of my pens are very expensive. Yes, I'll continue to show love to the lonely 1000 dollar pens, but you just can't beat a sub ten dollar pen that looks good and writes smooth, out of the box.

Yes, I'll continue to show love to the lonely 1000 dollar pens, but you just can't beat a sub ten dollar pen that looks good and writes smooth, out of the box.

That's the whole point succinctly stated! Regarding respect for Chinese pens.

My other point is, I would be willing to pay another $10. or $15. for an improved pen as I described it.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Still waiting on the second X750, but I went ahead and ordered a third to be that designated BSB pen. :)

I have a Hero 340 that belong to my uncle and he has been using it without cleaning for over 30 years. When I inherited the pen I inked it without a clean just to see how it will behave and it started writing immediately. Now it is regularly maintained and is extremely reliable. Maybe my uncle was lucky, but from the performance issue there were never any problems. I only wish that the materials used are a bit more substantial and better quality - there is visible signs of usage now, but still not cracks or damages.

I can't help jumping in here again. Yes Sanjinp. Thanks for relating your experience. Your anecdote seems to support my other point. We know Chinese mfg's can make pens which write well - if they want to, according to the price/performance continuum. Your uncle's pen seems to be an excellent example of good writing characteristics. Now if we can just persuade some mfg. that it would be worth it to produce a few pens designed with better materials and good writing for a fair market price just a bit higher - at least for some select models.

A Pilot Metropolitan is built like a tank. With proper care there is no reason such a pen could not last 30 - 40 years or more. Maybe the Metro will be the Parker 51 of the next 50 years or so. The Pilot Metro sells for around $20.00 more or less. My hope is at some point Chinese mfgs will see it to be a profitable practice to choose to make a pen with the quality of the Pilot Metropolitan and charge a comparable price. I believe Such a pen or pens should be successful on the world market as the Pilot Metropolitan is.

Edited by Maurizio

My hope is at some Chinese mfgs will see it to be a profitable practice to choose to make a pen with the quality of the Pilot Metropolitan and charge a comparable price. I believe Such a pen or pens should be successful on the world market as the Pilot Metropolitan is.

There are plenty of Chinese pens that fall in this category. You just need to look away from the Jinhaos and the entry level Heros. For instance, Wing Sung 698 is solid built piston filler retail at $10 and plus <$10 shipping, it's a solid sub $20 pen. If you are looking at something ~$40, you can get some pretty good NOS gold nibbed ones, which have better QC as well as build quality.

woleizihan - I really like my Jinhao 159s. I would love to have an improved version of one. I will look at a Wing Sung 698. Thanks.

I'll say more, but not much more. That's part of the charm. I've EDCed a Hero 616 lately attached to a journal/planner/notebook system. Not a problem, no leak, writes great on the miquelrius notebook within. Really great. With Noodler's Black. I think I like 329s a little better, a little thinner, but love the 616 too. All have written amazingly.

I have been thoroughly and pleasantly surprised by Chinese fountain pens. Some are home runs right out of the plastic sleeve they come in and others are glorified dumpling stabbers. But all of them are fun and a joy to use and play with. For my purposes, they do need to write or at least be made to write. That they look all shiny and downright gorgeous is just window dressing. Solid performers, at least for me, have been the Jinhao 599 (if you can keep them from snapping in half), the Baoer 051 and 508, Hero 007 and 329. None of these are price prohibitive. Currently have a Jinhao x450 clone inked with Chesterfield Night Sapphire and it is an insanely smooth writer. So I am a fan of these pens but I buy them for fun and practical reasons, not because I expect them to be a Lamy or a Montblanc or a Visconti.

woleizihan - I really like my Jinhao 159s. I would love to have an improved version of one. I will look at a Wing Sung 698. Thanks.

Oh I'm not saying that Jinhaos are bad but by looking at the higher priced Jinhaos, I don't feel like they are strictly better than the lower priced ones. They have much more decorative bodies and fancier packagings but essentially the same nib/build quality. It seems like their marketing strategies are more towards gift pens and I suspect they will ever change that. But there are many other Chinese pen makers devoted to produce pens as writing instruments.I was saying if you are looking for something more expensive and expecting a better writing experience, it's probably a better idea to look elsewhere.

woleizihan - Couldn't find a Wing Sung 698 on Amazon ( I don't use ebay). Can you suggest some other Chinese pens I should look at if I'm looking for an example of a quality Chinese pen? It looks like Picasso is one brand that is trying to go upmarket. Can you suggest another company or particular pen model to look at?

Thanks

Maurizio

woleizihan - Couldn't find a Wing Sung 698 on Amazon ( I don't use ebay). Can you suggest some other Chinese pens I should look at if I'm looking for an example of a quality Chinese pen? It looks like Picasso is one brand that is trying to go upmarket. Can you suggest another company or particular pen model to look at?

Thanks

Maurizio

Where are you located? I can find the pen on Amazon US. Even though it's only the demonstrator with ef nib and is a little bite more expensive than Ebay.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MY80NXL/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493499773&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=wing+sung+698&dpPl=1&dpID=318QDnCnwcL&ref=plSrch

Yes I saw the demonstrator. Don't want the demonstrator nor the ef nib. But I will keep this one on my list and look out for a solid color and at least M nib.

698 is available in black and chrome hardware, or black and gold hardware, Ivory and chrome, Ivory and gold hardware, Turqouse/Grey and finally Bikini Ivory. Gold plated or 14k gold nib in F and EF. Plenty to chose from, ditch Amazon and see the wonderful eBay world!