Early Parker Dilemma

fullfederhalter

I set out nearly every weekend to visit flea markets, tag sales, and antiques shops in search of vintage pens to add to my collection. Most of the time I have little to show for my efforts. Competition is keen with dealers and other collectors vying for the same increasingly difficult to find vintage pens. But occasionally I get lucky, and last weekend was one of those times. I found a beautiful #16 Parker eye dropper fountain pen with a gold filigree overlay. The black hard rubber shows almost no signs of oxidation, and the filigree has no brassing. So, what's my dilemma you ask? The pen is missing the section, nib and feed.

I would love to be able to find the missing parts and make it usable again. Internet searches have provided little to help me identify the proper parts. The few I have seen listed for sale seem to have a #3 Parker nib, although there seems to be several different imprints from around the time when the pen was made. A couple of listings show a Christmas tree feed with the Lucky Curve, but another shows a straight flat feed. And, of course, there is the problem of finding these parts at all, especially at an affordable price.

Obviously, the best scenario for me would be to find an intact section, feed and nib. Does anyone know if there are other Parker models of the period which would have the same section, etc. that I could look for? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• mitto

• fullfederhalter

• benbot517

Last I checked five star pens had some old lucky curve nibs. They even had some feeds, but I don't know if they would fit. I'd imagine the flat feed you saw was probably the result of the pen being repaired, as it seems like the lucky curves used the Christmas tree feeds. As far as a section goes, that's probably harder.

"Oh deer."

The section will be the hard part to find

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

The section will be the hard part to find

That is why I wished him the best of luck. Hope he finds one.

Khan M. Ilyas

• 2 months later...

Interesting how pen finds tend to come in clusters. I know of a RHR gold overlay Parker 16 that was found last weekend. Also has a section problem. If you think a black section is hard to find, look for a red one...

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.