Qualifications For Writing Pen Reviews?

ParkerDuofold

Hello All,

I would like to contribute more to the FPN Community by writing reviews for pens (and inks) as time permits, but I hesitate... :unsure:... since I've only been using fp's for about a year and I have my doubts if that gives me any license to start reviewing them.

How long do you think you should be at it this game before you can start contributing reviews here? (Naturally, I realize you have had to use the pen being reviewed for a month or so; unless you entitle it "Initial Impressions" or the like ;) ).

Any input would be appreciated. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• FriendAmos

• Seele

• praxim

I think you should write about what you know. The pens you own. The Inks you have written with and tested using standard methods. As time goes on you'lll know more and write more, and we'll all have the opportunity to broaden our understanding of the Fountain Pen World.

Start now. Be sure to state know biases that may color your opinions, try to be fair, include photos, and off you go.

I try to write to help others learn or gain exposure to uncommon pens. I don't think you need a certain number of years, just experience and the right temperament.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I write to learn. It's amazing home much you really learn when you try to present something to an audience. Even after decades of reviewing all kinds of stuff it is common for me to post something and after reading the comments find tons of ways I could have improved the review.

My Website

Not too many.

Your sincerity and honesty.

Your enthusiasm.

Good organization and accuracy.

Write a rough draft first, let it stew for a day and revise it, then post.

Obviously you should only write what you know about intimately. It is helpful to have something of a base of experience with some other pens to compare to, but it's not necessary.

Some folks here like Jar have a wide and broad experience over time and with a lot of pens. I would read a review of a pen I was interested in or was even just curious about by Jar with interest and attention because I know he speaks from solid experience.

But your relative lack if experience is not a disqualification for you on this forum. Post away!

In my few years on the forum my experience is that 95% of the people here are kind and nice and happy to encourage all newcomers.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

I have been using fountain pens for about sixty years. I am still finding out things about them. It's more a matter of writing your observations, which will help others to understand a pen. Some will think that's a pen they will like, and some will be warned off. Either way, it's a service.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Qualifications for writing a review --

1) Own a pen

2) Write about it following the guidelines -- https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/80494-welcome-to-the-fountain-pen-review-sub-forum/ That will make sure you don't miss anything important.

Before you start, though, just write your thoughts down about the pen. Then include them in the structured review, as above.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Okay, thank you, gents. I think I'll give it a go. :)

Now, all I have to do is decide which pen to start with. I'm most familiar with the L2K, but we already have 27,189 reviews for it, so I may go with something else... I'll mull it over.

Thanks again for the sage advice and links. :)

-Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Hello All,

I would like to contribute more to the FPN Community by writing reviews for pens (and inks) as time permits, but I hesitate... :unsure:... since I've only been using fp's for about a year and I have my doubts if that gives me any license to start reviewing them.

How long do you think you should be at it this game before you can start contributing reviews here? (Naturally, I realize you have had to use the pen being reviewed for a month or so; unless you entitle it "Initial Impressions" or the like ;) ).

Any input would be appreciated. :)

- Anthony

Nothing more than common sense and some honesty as to how you really feel about the pen at hand. The former is surprisingly relatively rare. For example, you will see (and should avoid) images of "here's a writing sample" that tell you absolutely nothing, beyond an ordinary nib writing on an ordinary paper, often with mediocre handwriting ... no scale to give you an idea of the width of the nib, nothing to indicate what is special about the nib, no comparative samples with other nibs, etc. Just, "I wrote with the nib, and here is what I wrote".

And avoid the obvious, especially if you include images.

I really won't worry too much about it, if I were you; most of the reviews you will see here are so ho-hum that the only thing they convey is that the owner likes the pen. Perhaps that is enough?

Now, all I have to do is decide which pen to start with. I'm most familiar with the L2K, but we already have 27,189 reviews for it, so I may go with something else... I'll mull it over.

I never get tired of L2K reviews. ;)

I never get tired of L2K reviews. ;)

Ditto that - not to mention the fact that this is a pen that provokes a wide range of reactions. I wasn't sure I'd made a good purchase when I first got mine - narrow sweet spot, ink seemed to desaturate (relative to other pens)... But it's now close to being my favourite. Would love to hear your impressions!

<snip>

most of the reviews you will see here are so ho-hum that the only thing they convey is that the owner likes the pen.

This made me interested to read your reviews, so I flicked to the index. Do you not even like any pens?

Edited by praxim

X

...ink seemed to desaturate (relative to other pens)...

Hi Jamerelbe,

Very interesting... you've noticed this, too. You don't hear this one that often; I'm glad it's not just me. (Sometimes I wondered if I had a defective pen or if I just slipped a cog :lol:).

- Anthony

Hi Jamerelbe,

Very interesting... you've noticed this, too. You don't hear this one that often; I'm glad it's not just me. (Sometimes I wondered if I had a defective pen or if I just slipped a cog :lol:).

- Anthony

I don't know if it's my imagination, or the inks I now choose for it, or that the pen now tends to write a bit wetter, but my subjective impression is that it's not so much an issue now.

I don't know if it's my imagination, or the inks I now choose for it, or that the pen now tends to writge a bit wetter, but my subjective impression is that it's not so much an issue now.

Hi J,

How long have you had your's? Maybe it's a break-in period?

I'll tell you what I've thought was causing the problem: I carry mine with me all day long, tucked into a shirt pocket, usually under a suit jacket and oftentimes, when I remove the cap, I find liquid condensation on the section.

I figured it was my body heat causing the condensation and in turn, diluting the ink. :huh:

There are times I've even considered taking my pin vise and drilling a tiny hole in the cap like the Esterbrook J's & Vacumatics have... hoping the micro-vent would eliminate the condensation. But I hesitate... I don't want to foul up my favorite pen. :unsure:

- Anthony

In my mind, as long as someone is honest in their review, it's still a valuable resource. That is, even if someone is a beginner, as long as they don't pretend to know everything their experience is still valuable.

Stay unposted, friends.

This made me interested to read your reviews, so I flicked to the index. Do you not even like any pens?

We learned this one on Day 1 of Logic 101: If A implies B, it does not follow that NOT A implies NOT B.

We learned this one on Day 1 of Logic 101: If A implies B, it does not follow that NOT A implies NOT B.

Alternatively, absence of proof does not imply proof of absence.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

FriendAmos, I sought merely to ascertain the context for your sweeping disparagement of "most" reviews. 101 logic statements are not relevant to that. :)

I would prefer the OP reviewed something, even if they merely liked it, so that with experience they may improve their review techniques over time, and provide important information along the way.

X

FriendAmos, I sought merely to ascertain the context for your sweeping disparagement of "most" reviews. 101 logic statements are not relevant to that. :)

I would prefer the OP reviewed something, even if they merely liked it, so that with experience they may improve their review techniques over time, and provide important information along the way.

Quite so. The Logic 101 statements are relevant to illogical statements, even in the context of questionable claims on fountain-pen reviews.

And if I may add to my previous remarks: even worse than the ho-hum reviews the "congratulations on an excellent review!!!" when said review is of a pen that has already reviewed here 1000 times, consists of a bad photo when better ones are readily available, has the inevitable "here's what my writing looks like", etc.

Yes, of course, we should encourage the OP, but not in the way you suggest. Writing nonsense or useless stuff is not the most reliable way to learn how to write sense or useful stuff. A more fruitful path is to start by considering how to write sense or useful stuff. For fountain-pen reviews here, I would suggest two considerations for the OP:

1. Go through the review index. Has the pen you have in hand already been reviewed? If so, do you have anything useful to add to what's been said?

2. If the pen has not already been reviewed or it has been reviewed, but you think you could add to what's out there (on FPN Reviews), then reflect carefully on why you think what you have t say willbe a contribution and then write accordingly.