The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Eversharp Ventura And The Symphony Line

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jcreilley

jcreilley

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 17:26

There's been very little written about the Ventura. Seems most attention is focused on the Slim Ventura, and I've even seen many eBay stores or small collector websites refer to it as the Symphony Mk IV. I wonder how we should classify this pen. Is it a final version of the Symphony, or does it have the dignity of standing on its own, albeit for about six months.

Sponsored Content

#2 RoyalBear

RoyalBear

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 20:05

I feel that the Symphony is a good pen but the Ventura and Slim Ventura can stand on their own and are not a continuation of the Symphony line. This is evident by the Symphony's slipper cap and bullet cap as compared to Ventura's flat-top cap. Also, the pencils are different. The Symphony has the button/eraser holder to push for lead and Ventura's cap is pushed with the eraser under the cap. There does seem to be more interest in the Slim Ventura but both are good and write well. A good commentary on the Slim Ventura can be seen at http://www.penhero.c...SlimVentura.htm

The Envoy was the one that only lasted one year (1948). I believe the Symphony went from 1948-1953 and the Ventura from 1953-1957.

With the Symphony, Ventura, and Envoy you can still get NOS sets. It's hard to get those previous to them such as Skylines, Dorics, etc.

Edited by RoyalBear, 21 April 2017 - 20:07.

#3 jcreilley

jcreilley

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:12

I feel that the Symphony is a good pen but the Ventura and Slim Ventura can stand on their own and are not a continuation of the Symphony line. This is evident by the Symphony's slipper cap and bullet cap as compared to Ventura's flat-top cap. Also, the pencils are different. The Symphony has the button/eraser holder to push for lead and Ventura's cap is pushed with the eraser under the cap. There does seem to be more interest in the Slim Ventura but both are good and write well. A good commentary on the Slim Ventura can be seen at http://www.penhero.c...SlimVentura.htm

The Envoy was the one that only lasted one year (1948). I believe the Symphony went from 1948-1953 and the Ventura from 1953-1957.

With the Symphony, Ventura, and Envoy you can still get NOS sets. It's hard to get those previous to them such as Skylines, Dorics, etc.

Interesting, I thought that the full size Ventura gave way to the Slim once that was released, but it seems like I was mistaken. So the Venutra and Slim Ventura were both available all the way through to '57? That certainly does tip the scales toward the standard Ventura being able to stand on its own.

#4 RoyalBear

RoyalBear

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2017 - 17:22

I haven't been able to find out the individual length of manufacturing for either the regular Ventura or the Slim Ventura. I have seen and ad where both were advertised and the standard Ventura was given top billing but I don't know the date of the ad. Either way, they're both interesting pens.

Ventura.AD.jpg

Sponsored Content

|