Montblanc Sealed Da Vinci Dilemma , Need Help!

twism94

Hey Gang!

Recently acquired Sealed DaVinci Pen in box but without outer. Bought is as a rollerball. However , i asked how does he know it it is rollerball, he said he only thought they made them in RB. So it got me very curious and i need your help.

Serial is pretty low 500/3000. And i have a suspicion i have FP on my hands instead of RB.

In any case, can present owners help me, Really dont want to unseal it to find out. How one can tell?

Thanks in Advance

DG

Edited by twism94

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• twism94

• thygreyt

• asegier

• SpecTP

it does turn, but RB turns also , its how refill changes

Really? I didn't know that. As the normal Montblanc's turn from the the grip section to change the RB refill.

The DaVinci was produced in a lot of 3000 Fountain Pens and Rollerball each.

I would suggest you back off the filling knob. If it unscrews and stops, you have a fountain pen. If the Rollerballs do fill from the back, the cap should screw all the way off.

Commonly fountain pens have a sticker that shows the nib size. If the pen is still sealed I would think you may see a sticker with F or M in the barrel. I may be wrong (most of Montblanc pens have these stickers, not sure if Da Vinci didn't have it), but if it doesn't have a sticker for the nib size, it could mean it is actually a rollerball.

It is still a beautiful pen, congratulations!

Ask Montblanc if they know the weight difference between a sealed RB and a sealed FP.

That almost made me laugh out loud. Not because it is a silly suggestion, but the probability anyone in customer service at MB would have any clue as to the answer is indistinguishable from zero.

However, if anyone here can weigh one of their da Vinci pens empty we might be in business. There are a fair few amongst the MB fans on FPN.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

That's a tough one :)

can anybody weight their da vinci FP or RB?

It's driving me crazy :):)

Commonly fountain pens have a sticker that shows the nib size. If the pen is still sealed I would think you may see a sticker with F or M in the barrel. I may be wrong (most of Montblanc pens have these stickers, not sure if Da Vinci didn't have it), but if it doesn't have a sticker for the nib size, it could mean it is actually a rollerball.

It is still a beautiful pen, congratulations!

I have the Leonardo. Actually I've owned it for two years and only opened it two weeks ago. Mine is a FP and it had a nib size sticker on it before I opened it. Not sure if that is normal, but mine had a M sticker so I knew without opening the seal that I had a FP with a medium nib. Hope that helps.

Edited by 888007888

Two approaches involving X-rays:

1) Is there gold in the pen nib? If so, X-ray fluorescence would reveal it (need access to a university chemistry/physics lab).

2) X-ray image (hospital/veterinary clinic, or put it through the airport scanner and see if the TSA can help!).

:)

It's Schrodinger's pen: until it's opened it's both a rollerball and a fountain pen.

"Oh deer."

It's Schrodinger's pen: until it's opened it's both a rollerball and a fountain pen.

Nice!

It's an interesting dilemma, though.

Hope it's a FP.

You should be able to fully extend and retract the piston, using the turning knob, without breaking the seal.

I know that there's nothing to see, but it should feel different than unscrewing a part of RB trim.

Good luck.

The suggestions provided here are most amusing! So many interesting ideas haha. But it does seem that there's no sticker on the pen, which I realized that I think Montblanc does have on their fountain pens. At least my 145 did!

I'll weight my leonardo in a bit. Let me search for the scale.

Found it: did 5 measurements, the weight is 69.8 grams

Thanks!, Is your Leonardo FP or RB ? :)