Being To Picky For A First Pen?

Koopa_Khan

I've been looking at purchasing my first pen, but I haven't found something I like yet. Right now I'm using the Pilot G2 and love everything about it. Is there a fountain pen with the same feel (weight and length)? So far I've been stuck on the Pilot vanishing point, but I don't know if I want to spend that much yet. Am I being way to picky? The Lamy Safari I would like minus that triangular grip.

Edited by Koopa_Khan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Koopa_Khan

• AL01

• ParkerDuofold

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just get a Chinese made pen by Jinhao. And learn about fountain pens, get used to using a Jinhao. Then think about getting a Pilot VP or some other pen.

Welcome! A couple of possibilities would be a Pilot Varsity (very inexpensive and disposable, though they can be refilled) or a Platinum Preppy. Bot are closer in weight and shape to the G2, and both are quite good pens. A little upscale from there are the Pilot Prera and Metropolitan, both rock-solid pens. I think if you like Pilot you should stick with them at the beginning. All Pilot pens seem to have a similar commitment to quality and writing experience, although each has its personality. When you get to the point that you are ready to spend that much money, the VP is also a wonderful family of pens.

ron

I agree with the Jinhao. It's so cheap you wouldn't mind if you lost it cause you'd have an excuse to buy a new one lol. They also write great! I have pens that cost 100x more and they write better, but it's not like it's 100x better.

First of all, the Vanishing point is much larger and heavier than a G2. And I recommend you are confident that the clip wouldn't bother you before buying one. It's a fantastic pen, absolutely, but alas not for everyone.

Same for the Lamy Safari. It's my favorite starter-price pen, but not everyone can use it because of the triangular grip section. Can you post a pic of how you hold your G2? I understand it's not the easiest when one of your hands is the subject, so no pressure.

Stay unposted, friends.

Lots of possibilities, and whatever I suggest, it might not be to your taste or you might get a dud. And Pilot G2s are really pretty nice for what they are.

Lots of love for Jinhaos around here. I'm not crazy about them, but it's true that you won't waste that much money on them, and you might get something you like. But if the "feel" of the Pilot G2 includes its relative slimness compared to many fountain pens, then you might consider a vintage Parker 45. My two cost me $8.33 and $18 respectively, and you can often find deals of that kind, although I can't guarantee what price you'd get. Converters are still made that will fit these, if the one you find doesn't come with one. The downside, of course, is that buying a used pen online, you could overlook some problem.

For modern pens, if you don't want to spend much, I like the Pilot Prera well enough, which is also a slim, light pen.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

The first pen I bought was a Parker 51, in 1970. I never regretted buying a nice pen first and bypassing starting with low end pens. Later on I bought some low end pens, including a Jinhao, but I find them to be insufferable after having had a truly good pen. I don't enjoy the starting, drying up, non posting and other hassles of the "beginner's pens." It takes experience to use them.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

You've got a lot of good options here. I would just add the pilot Decimo. It's thinner, lighter than the VP. Additionally the clip is smaller making the pen easier to hold. The decimo has the same nib, and internal unit as the full size VP, parts are interchangeable.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Make sure you come back and tell us about your new pens. And, we like pics..😀

I'll second the Jinhao suggestion. Inexpensive, nice writers, and come in several different sizes you can try out. I have a Pilot VP, and the clip is perfectly positioned for how I write, but your grip may be different. You'd be pretty upset to spend that, only to find the clip kept you from having a comfortable grip, especially for your first pen.

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

I'm not quite sure how to post pictures here, but I did manage to snag a few. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll do some more looking around tonight!

Edited by Koopa_Khan

First of all, the Vanishing point is much larger and heavier than a G2. And I recommend you are confident that the clip wouldn't bother you before buying one. It's a fantastic pen, absolutely, but alas not for everyone.

Same for the Lamy Safari. It's my favorite starter-price pen, but not everyone can use it because of the triangular grip section. Can you post a pic of how you hold your G2? I understand it's not the easiest when one of your hands is the subject, so no pressure.

Got it! I hope these help!

post-136171-0-27156200-1492806812_thumb.jpg

post-136171-0-98466000-1492806823_thumb.jpg

Hello KK,

Along with the Jinhao X-450/750; you may also want to try cutting your teeth on a Lamy Logo.

They cost just a couple of bucks more than the Safari, (the same as the Al-Star); not only do you lose the triangular grip, but you GAIN a pen that has a sprung pocket clip; a cool, understated professional look and a LIFETIME warranty, (in some countries)... and even if it is not honored in your particular country... you are still getting a pen built to that standard. ;)

The Jinhao will last you a couple of years or so, before the inner cap breaks and the pen becomes useless... you don't pay much for a Jinhao, but you also get what you pay for, (well, maybe a little more). With the Logo, you'll have a great pen for life.

Either way, you can't really lose. :D

- Anthony

PS: Here's a link to the Logo:

Edited by ParkerDuofold

@Koopa_Khan, given your grip, I think you would not like anything with a faceted grip section (like Lamy Safari), nor the Pilot Decimo / Vanishing Point (due to clip placement).

Also, something to be aware of, the rubber grip on disposable pens works because they're disposable. On every permanent pen I've seen with something like that (usually anniversary pens at work), the rubber goes ick after a few years. So I wouldn't recommend trying to find a permanent pen that uses that sort of material.

Beyond that, I have to wonder if a fatter section wouldn't let you use a more comfortable grip - one where you're fingers aren't stepping on each other trying to get to the pen. ;) But if not, then there aren't all that many thin fountain pens, so at least that will narrow your choices.

I have had a VP, and if the OP were to start with a VP I think he would be glad he did.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

@LizEF, there's actually a place near me that seems to just sell and service fountain pens. I'll have to take a look around and hold a few. We'll see, I may come home with more than one!

@LizEF, there's actually a place near me that seems to just sell and service fountain pens. I'll have to take a look around and hold a few. We'll see, I may come home with more than one!

Oh good. That's ideal - then there's no uncertainty whether the grip will be comfortable.

I've been looking at purchasing my first pen, but I haven't found something I like yet. Right now I'm using the Pilot G2 and love everything about it. Is there a fountain pen with the same feel (weight and length)? So far I've been stuck on the Pilot vanishing point, but I don't know if I want to spend that much yet. Am I being way to picky? The Lamy Safari I would like minus that triangular grip.

I highly highly highly highly recommend you get yerself a Pilot Varsity. You'll know if you are destined for FPs if you like or dislike one. It was my first FP, and I am happy for buying one.

I highly highly highly highly recommend you get yerself a Pilot Varsity. You'll know if you are destined for FPs if you like or dislike one. It was my first FP, and I am happy for buying one.

Hi again, KK,

This may just be ticket! Get yourself a Varsity at any Staples or Wal-Mart type of store where you live... if you like the experience... then shop for something more permanent at that local shop. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

My personal vote would be a Pilot Metropolitan. Especially since you're looking at a VP later on. A Metro is $15. The VP converter will work in a Metropolitan. It costs only a couple bucks more than a Jinhao and is better workmanship.

I think I'm going to adjust my grip to something similar to yours. Much steadier on the pen. Thanks for the pics.

I know you're hot for a cool pen. And I'm not saying don't buy a good pen to use at home. But I just wanted to share that I spent a few years inspecting ships on the inside and underneath to determine seaworthiness. It's a messy environment with lots of bumps, and shocks. (Even a Captain has to get dirty😳) During this time I carried Pilot Varsity. They're cheap, and come in 10 packs. They are rugged, hold plenty of ink, and best of all are disposable. If you lose one, just pull out a spare. In all the years I carried those around in some pretty rough environments, I never had one leak.

Also they are the perfect pen to practice your nib tuning and tweaking, a skill you will need to acquire as

You go on in this endeavor.

I just looked at the video on the pilot Logo. Pretty cool pen. You have lots of options to choose from.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you finally decide on....Salt