The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Visconti Rembrandt - Replacement Nib & Feed Ideas

visconti rembrandt nib feed replace

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 evyxmsj

evyxmsj

Ink! All the colours!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 14:22

Hello all!

Short version

If anyone knows a steel #5 nib and feed that I can buy to replace my Visconti Rembrandt's I would be grateful. I am particularly interested in JoWo, but can be talked into something else. My TWSBI 580 nib fits, but not the feed. (feed is 44 mm long, nib/feed holder is ~22 mm).

Long version

I have a lovely Visconti Rembrandt, but it has some problems. I have played around with it, and I am pretty sure it's a feed or converter/feed starvation issue plus a dodgy nib.

The nib looks like this under a 10x loupe (I know narrowing towards the tip is not a bad thing):

erdjs6.jpg

But even with a TWSBI (JoWo?) nib, the ink flow is not great, and gets drier as I write. I have soaked the feed in warm soapy water, cleaned with a toothbrush, cut the channel a bit with a razor blade...with some improvement. (inks: Pelikan Sapphire, MB Irish Green, Diamine Bilberry).

I can't tell if it is an issue with the feed, or the converter, or both---or their interface:

• I tried it with standard short ink cartridges and and I seem to get the same problem, but it's hard for me to tell as my only cartridges are pretty saturated ink (D. Majestic Blue). Anyway, I don't really want to use cartridges and and I'm not certain there is anything wrong with the Visconti converter itself, though I note it doesn't have a plastic ball inside. Is that a major issue?
  • Interestingly, if I simply take off the converter and put it back on (no shaking!), that is enough to briefly increase the flow: maybe this is a sign that the converter or the interface is a bit dodgy? Perhaps I should try another converter, but I've seen a few posts with similar issues here on FPN.
  • The end of the feed looks like the sketch below. Would cutting this channel a bit wider make a difference?

rcihw5.jpg

I thought about sending off for repairs, but I'm not impressed with the tales I've seen here on FPN of similar issues with Visconti replacements. And anyway I'm an engineer and like hacking things together. 

I confirmed that a standard #5 should fit the pen (using a TWSBI 580), but I would like to try a new feed as well to see what a difference it makes. Any suggestions on one that will fit? (44 mm long feed, ~22 mm long nib/feed holder). I'm not impressed with a Bock replacement nib I bought recently (metal left in the slit, ends touching), so am looking for JoWo or something different.

Edit: Sorry the images are so huge!

Edited by evyxmsj, 21 April 2017 - 14:26.

Sponsored Content

#2 evyxmsj

evyxmsj

Ink! All the colours!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted Today, 15:52

I've double checked with the Diamine standard cartridges: the flow is a bit better, but still dries up and skips.

I don't like the nib anyway (see above), so I've ordered a JoWo stub #5 from fpnibs.com and I'll post the results when I install it. I don't think the feed will fit though, so the next steps would be:

• Clean & flush    slight improvement, still has issues
  • Open tines a bit, ensure feed alignment is correct   slight improvement, still has issues
  • Try with standard cartridge, different ink    slight improvement?, still has issues
  • Open the feed channel a tiny amount  slight improvement? still has issues. (Admittedly, should have done this later in the process)
  • Replace nib with JoWo #5    in process
  • Different c/c (would Pelikan work?) (normally would have done this earlier, but I don't have one that fits, and I want to replace the nib anyway)
  • Replace feed with alternative bock #5
  • Cry!?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: visconti, rembrandt, nib, feed, replace

Sponsored Content

|