The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Oriental Blue Blackbird

11 replies to this topic

#1 Jose80

Jose80

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:49

Hello,

I'm looking for a oriental blue Blackbird, but these are quite rare pens, and was wondering if waiting for the next pen show (November) would be a better idea than to keep looking for it online. Are these pens normally fount on large (Madrid) pen shows, or it is so rare that I should not expect so?

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 PaulS

PaulS

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 13:26

It's a very attractive pen  -  looks like lapis combined with a gold marble effect  -  a lever fill pen with a stepped intrusive clip, and from the early 1930s.        I wouldn't know this but for the illustration in one of Andreas Lambrou's books, and suspect rather uncommon.    Wish you luck.

As an off the cuff suggestion you might contact people like Gary Lehrer for example who's stock often includes high-end pens.

#3 MarcShiman

MarcShiman

Inspiring Discovery

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• 867 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 14:36

Pen shows are the best sort of place to find such a pen, but there are no guarantees of course. I've seen two sell on EBay over the past year, so with some patience (and a willingness to bid aggressively), they are difficult but not impossible to find

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

The Mabie Todd Swan Project

#4 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• 924 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 14:54

I agree with Marc.  If you are waiting for one of these pens on ebay, it will seem like a long time.  But the pen is not very rare.

I do see this pen on ebay a few times per  year. Just check ebay regularly and be patient!

#5 MarcShiman

MarcShiman

Inspiring Discovery

• 867 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 15:33

with a stepped intrusive clip,

They also came in a clipless version.

Blackbirds.jpg

Edited by MarcShiman, 21 April 2017 - 16:11.

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

#6 Jose80

Jose80

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 16:10

Thank you for your replies, that is what I'll do. I'll check with Gary too.

#7 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• 924 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 19:42

Here is a lower end pen currently on ebay with the same plastic

Of course, it is not the same thing at all. 

http://www.ebay.com/...016.m2518.l4276

s-l1600.jpg

#8 MarcShiman

MarcShiman

Inspiring Discovery

• 867 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 20:52

Is it the same? I've seen those before, and I thought they were closer to the waterman Turquoise. The Blackbird color is slightly brighter somehow.

#9 PaulS

PaulS

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 811 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 20:56

I'd suggest torquoise is quite a bit different - nowhere near as deep or rich a blue as that.

#10 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• 924 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:32

A Patrician picture found quickly on line, followed by a picture of my Blackbird.

watermanpatricianturq50per.jpg

fpn_1492828241__swans_20.jpg

#11 Jose80

Jose80

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:59

A beautiful pen Greenie, what a beautiful pen. 

This weekend there was an auction on ebay for an almost destroyed blackbird in oriental blue, it sold for way more than I could justify for a pen with the nib destroyed, celluloid deteriorated and clip and lever oxidized. I'll have to keep looking.

#12 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• 924 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2017 - 00:05

A little patience goes a long way.  Mabie Todd pens can go for a lot. But keep trying and you will get a bargain. Every so often, no one else seems to be bidding.

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|