Should I Buy Two Of The Same Fountain Pens To Use Or Get Two Different Ones?

RilUki

Hi,

I see no reason to carry two pens in a classroom environment. But if doing so, I'd go for two of the same.

Fill your pen at the start of the day, and have a few cartridges to replenish your ink supply on the fly. ( I do have a 15ml Nalgene vessel as a back-up source,)

I write extensively, and rarely needed to refill my pen before lunch.

Large capacity piston fillers + narrow nibs + dry inks is an inviting combo, but I'd rather my favourite pen + ink combo and refill on the go.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• Erik Dalton

• deepak23

• Runnin_Ute

Top Posters In This Topic

Your choice.

In college I had a matched pair of Parker 45s with F nibs.

But there is nothing wrong with having 2 different pens. Although logistically, it would be simpler if they were the same brand if you used cartridge ink. Then you only need to carry one brand of spare cartridge.

Also I would buy somewhat inexpensive or at least NOT expensive pens.

School is a high risk environment. High risk for: damage, loss, or theft.

If loosing a pen will be a financial hit, then get a cheaper pen. School is hard enough without the hassle of loosing an expensive pen that you cannot replace.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I'd buy one and give it a thorough test drive. If you really, really like the way it writes, buy the same type of pen for your second pen. If you don't really, really like the way it writes, buy a different pen for number two.

I wish my students would take enough notes to run out of ink.

This is a simple and yet hard question.

Every suggestion each FPN member made here works.

I will throw a bit of curve ball.

I carried a LAMY Safari when I was in college (many years ago... and I am not saying Safari is the one to choose. I'm just saying I had one fountain pen).

Just in case I ran out of ink, I also carried a cheap disposable ball point pen, bic, papermate, whatever I was able to find in my room.

I, personally, can love different pens equally, but don't know if can love the two same pens equally :P

Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

Hi. Possibly vary the nibs over the pen choice. That way you could have an xf for cheap paper at work and a medium for fun with shading. Bring some cartridges so you never run out. Regards, Ron

Could always get a fountain pen that accepts refillable cartridges, carry around spare cartridges (with some small minuscule lid to prevent leakage, assuming they come with them) and manually refill them when you get home? Saves you getting a pen, and you get a defensive ink cartridge to squirt at someone!

I'd buy one initially, and keep a couple of gel pens handy. The gel pens will come in handy when writing on paper that isn't especially compatible with fountain pens, when your FP is malfunctioning, or when you need other color options. At about ~$1 each, you can keep afford to keep a few handy for less than the cost of additional fountain pens.

If you do a lot of writing through the day, you might consider a pen with a large ink capacity, such as the TWSBI Eco. If you are concerned about running out of ink, top off the fountain pen daily. Another option is to can get a cartridge/converter pen and keep the included cartridge handy for an emergency.

For school work where you have less control of the paper you will be writing on, I'd select an ink that handles cheap paper well, such as Parker Quink or Noodler's X-Feather.

Edited by JordanN

The reason for carrying TWO pens or writing instruments in school is

- Pen #1 will run out of ink or stop writing for whatever reason.

- At that point you switch to pen #2 (fountain pen, gel pen, roller ball, ball pen, or pencil) and continue on.

From a practical point of view, you should not change ink cartridges in the middle of class. It takes too long, getting the ink from the new cartridge down to the nib is not quick, and you are not paying attention to the teacher/professor while you are changing cartridges. Change cartridges between class when you have time to do it.

I carried a matched pair of Parker 45s, but there is nothing wrong with carrying two (or more) different pens.

When I took my professional exams, I think I carried a half dozen mechanical pencils.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I am always baffled by discussions of ink capacity and concerns about running out of ink during the day at school or work. I write for several hours every day, whether at the office or at home, and a refill of any pen I have--including the tiny converter in my Pilot Prera--lasts at least a week.

In most cases, two different pens is a better option. In my opinion, only in these two cases I'll get same pens: 1. really like the pen; 2. the pen is cheap and I want to have a different nib option.

Edited by ravatar

It depends on what pen it is. For example I wiuld buy a 51 given a chance even if I already have several dozens.

Khan M. Ilyas