Should I Buy Two Of The Same Fountain Pens To Use Or Get Two Different Ones?

RilUki

I am planning on getting two fountain pens so that I don't have to worry about running out of ink during class. Should I buy two different fountain pens or two of the same ones?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• Erik Dalton

• deepak23

• Runnin_Ute

Top Posters In This Topic

Both. Two Lamy Safaris or Pilot Metropolitans in different colors, or with different nibs. They will be the same and yet different.

Two isn't a bad idea. Two Metro's , a Metro and an Eco, a Safari or Al Star and and Eco or a Safari and a Al Star......

Two Parker 45's......

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I agree with two different pens is more fun, but I do have two ECO's one F and one 1.1 Stub so they are almost the same ;) But in general would rather have two different models and in general of all the pens I have they don't overlap like that.

I always try to get a different pen (me of 3 Metropolitans, 3 Plumixes, 3 Safaris, it goes on and on.....) because you will figure out that you like one pen over the other for certain uses. Even if you get two of the same pen I suggest getting different nibs.

Having exactly the same pen is useful in only three instances: that's really the only pen you want, reviewing inks, and when exams require you to "not change pens".

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Both. Two Lamy Safaris or Pilot Metropolitans in different colors, or with different nibs. They will be the same and yet different.

There goes the originality of my proposal. :rolleyes: :)

Given you are using these in class, one as a backup for the other essentially, I agree the handling experience should be the same, while different nibs or even colours will give you some pleasant distinction. Also, it will not matter which you quickly pull out of your bag or pocket.

I have long had a guideline: no two pens the same. I broke it for a couple of identical Waterman 52s and skate the border on a bunch of original Aurora 88s, differing only in nib weight or cap colour (as well as 88 to 88P). I think it is a good way of enjoying variety while still indulging a favourite design.

Yes, what openionated opined.

X

If the only reason you plan to carry two pens is so that you don't run out of ink, you could always get just one and throw a pack of cartridges in your bag for emergencies. Then you can invest in a single pen and several nibs, rather than two pens each with a different nib, which could make your writing change substantially in the middle of an exam. Of course, unless you use a bottled version of the cartridge ink, you're going to have a color shift in the event of an emergency. This also rules out piston fillers or any pen that doesn't take a cartridge or converter.

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

I just ordered my second Lamy 2000 but opted for a EF nib since I already have one in M.

Having stated that, I've purchased a small variety of different pens before I made this double order.

I use my FP at work and like you I was worried about running out of ink but neither my Lamy 2000 or my Pelikan M805, which are both piston fillers, have ran out during the week.

If you get two different pens, try to get two that take the same cartridges and or converters. Makes things a lot simpler.

Or you could get a piston filler like a TWSBI eco.

I vote for two different pens - you get more experience faster, learn what you like / don't like. And if one's an Eco, as long as you fill it before you leave home, you're good on ink. Otherwise, same cartridges is convenient, maybe, but they're small, it's not that big a deal to throw in different ones, or make sure the converters are topped off... :)

Depends. If you're thinking of using the same ink in both, it makes more sense to just buy one C/C pen and carry a pack of cartridges with you. If you're going to use different colors, buy two that are different enough you can distinguish them by touch.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Get two of the same....Japanese and cheap....get an EF....which is great for side of the book notes, editing and doing math in ink. That is a European XXF....super narrow.....perhaps too narrow for class notes.

Japanese F = European EF which would do for class notes....if you write a tad wider get the M-Euro F.....just match your notebooks line width to nib width.

They would be nailish enough you don't have to worry about bending the nib.

A Japanese M = Euro F.....good for taking regular notes.

You'd have to decide which would be your 'regular' and which your back up.

A third cheap pen for 'fun' would be a Japanese B= Euro M....a very good nib for shading inks.

Three similar....could be the same but should be different, so you know which pen to reach for.

For writing tests a blue black, a blue or a black would be good. The teacher probably in s/he has a million papers to grade don't want off the wall inks .... stick with the basics.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Two pens with two different filling systems in your situation is not going to help, and will increase the cost. Two pens that take the same size of cartridge would be a good idea, two colours isn't a bad idea either. So a Parker Frontier and a Parker 45 - or a Lamy Safari and a Lamy Vista might be a good idea. Faber Castel & Pelikan also make a nice range of inexpensive school pens that take international cartridges.

I could see going either way. I guess the question is if you care about consistency, like if this is for a test and the teacher cares if you switch inks and pens midway through. In that case 2 of the same pen would be good. I personally am paranoid about these things and would get 2 piston fillers like a TWSBI eco, and then bring them both to class, full of ink. Especially if you're writing essays. Maybe 2 cartridge converter pens would be fine as well. Definitely test them in the morning before you leave to make sure they're still writing.

If it's just for your own notes, or if your teacher doesn't care what you write with for your tests and you want something fun, try two different pens. Others have mentioned it's a great way to get a better sense of what you like. You could do the 2 of the same pen with different nibs, but I'd go for 2 different pens, since the body of the pen makes a difference, too. But maybe go with either the same filling mechanism, or one piston and one c/c, so you can use the same ink.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of using cartridges in an emergency? In the few times I've tried cartridges, it has taken forever for the ink to get through and start working. Maybe I've just had bad luck, but I do not like cartridges very much. I carry around about 10 pens in a case in my backpack, and if one pen stops writing I just switch to another.

If you ever dip your toe in the vintage-pen fancy you'll discover that they all write and handle differently, even if you buy the same make and model.

I would want two different ones. One can be a pocket pen that's also your backup in class, or a different nib or filling system. That sounds much more interesting and fun to me than two of the same pen.

I have a hard time believing any professor in the United States would care if your ink switched colors halfway through an exam, rather than being impressed you came prepared. I started a few exams in undergraduate and had a ballpoint pen make a mess and finished it in pencil. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but almost every female I had classes with in 2010 wrote in some kind of glitter gel ink.

Wait a minute !

Which fountain pen are you currently using ? If the answer is NONE, find which fountain pens are comfortable for your writing ? If you plan to do that much writing, and the chosen fountain pen hurts your hand, having another of the same is not a solution.

I recommend two very different fountain pens, both of which are comfortable to your needs. The "variety" will be helpful, if your lecturers are as long-winded as mine were.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Get an MB146 and a Pelikan m800. You're set for life

Wouldn't take those to class ...

I can guarantee that if you get a TWSBI Vac700R, there is absolutely no way, none whatsoever, that you run out of ink after an entire day of constant use. Especially if you use the trick to get a perfect fill.

With that said : I tend to carry around a medium pen with black, blue or anything inbetween and a second one in F/EF with bright red ink for markup notes.