My Nib Bent

netjunkie109

My Parker Sonnet was dropped on the floor by someone who was looking at it. It went down nib first on the concrete floor. I'm at a loss for words right now considering I have had this pen for over 12 years and never had a problem with it.

So I have to ask, can it be saved, or do I go shopping for a new Pen?

Any thoughts and/ or ideas would be a great help.

Thank you,

Lucy

post-136063-0-52734700-1492702682.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• netjunkie109

• ac12

• PaulS

• angelov95

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've seen worse things been saved.

You could try to straighten it yourself. If you are afraid of doing so send to a repairer..

OK I'm game, how do I go about straighten it myself? I would love to save it.

First I would try to give it a regular form. You could try working on a rubbery surface, a cover of notebook or something like that. Placing the nib with the feed looking up, the nib in contact with the surface and dragging it in straight lines through the surface. That will bring the nib closer to the feed. Then you could try to bend it with your finger to its original position, or as close as you can get: Gran the tip of the nib with one hand and with the other where the bent part is and press down.

Go slowly but surely.

"He who obeys, does not hear himself"

post-127515-0-72380100-1492691142.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/aalexangelov/

Alex

First I would try to give it a regular form. You could try working on a rubbery surface, a cover of notebook or something like that. Placing the nib with the feed looking up, the nib in contact with the surface and dragging it in straight lines through the surface. That will bring the nib closer to the feed. Then you could try to bend it with your finger to its original position, or as close as you can get: Gran the tip of the nib with one hand and with the other where the bent part is and press down.

Go slowly but surely.

Well I tried my best to fix it. Looks better then it did but not perfect. So I'm going to bite the bullet and order a new nib from the online pen company. Thank you for your help.

do remember that nib units on the Sonnet pen unscrew - don't go sending the entire pen to a restorer. The nib itself is cleated - both sides - onto the feed toward the rear, and you don't see this when the nib unit is located correctly. I dare say you could remove the nib to try and straighten, and then replace onto the feed, but it's probably not worth it and in the long run a replacement nib is likely to be the most satisfactory route.

Edited by PaulS

"Can I see your pen ? I won't hurt it ! What's the big deal ?" Sorry for your loss, Lucy.

Hey FPN membership ! Are you paying attention to this lesson ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

do remember the nib units on the Sonnet pen unscrew - don't go sending the entire pen to a restorer. The nib itself is cleated - both sides - onto the feed toward the rear, and you don't see this when the nib unit is located correctly. I dare say you could remove the nib to try and straighten, and then replace onto the feed, but it's probably not worth it and in the long run a replacement nib is likely to be the most satisfactory route.

You are correct Paul, it is not the same nib at all. Oh well, new nib shopping I go. :D

"Can I see your pen ? I won't hurt it ! What's the big deal ?" Sorry for your loss, Lucy.

Hey FPN membership ! Are you paying attention to this lesson ?

Thank you Sasha. Hard to believe after so many years of happiness this had to happen. This was my first nice pen that I had bought. It got me through graduate school and then some. I'll buy her a new nib and make her happy once more. :)

If you are going to a pen show, one of the nib meisters could straighten the nib. As long as the tipping is still there.

Your local pen club or pen posse might have someone that could straighten the nib.

My wife dropped her MB, and the nib looked like yours.

The pen master at the SF Pen Posse worked his magic on the nib, and straightened it.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

If you are going to a pen show, one of the nib meisters could straighten the nib. As long as the tipping is still there.

Your local pen club or pen posse might have someone that could straighten the nib.

My wife dropped her MB, and the nib looked like yours.

The pen master at the SF Pen Posse worked his magic on the nib, and straightened it.

Thank you for the ideas.

But I do not have any pen shows or clubs near me; I live in the woods where it takes a 20 minute drive to anything.

I did find a paper shop near by that sells fountain pens, so I am going to check them out to see what they have to offer.

You mentioned that you've had it for 12 years. If it has sentimental value then send it out for repair if it's not a big deal, then go buy a new one

You mentioned that you've had it for 12 years. If it has sentimental value then send it out for repair if it's not a big deal, then go buy a new one

I am actually looking into several options.

The model I have is Made in France. I do not believe the newer models are made there anymore, but I could be wrong.

No sentimental attachment, just a nice writer.

1. If I replace the nib itself, I'm looking anywhere from $32.00 to $82.00 depending on the finish. With this I am buying without trying since I am buying online.

2. Just go out and buy something new and different. Any suggestions welcomed.

I'm sorry to hear about your Sonnet nib. I don't think that buying a new nib will be more expensive than getting the old one fixed, but in case you wanted to investigate then FPnibs of Spain repair and retip gold nibs.

If your nib is a gold nib I would price up the cost of a new one first then consider any other options. If it's a gold plated steel nib then it will be cheaper to buy another one.

I'm sorry to hear about your Sonnet nib. I don't think that buying a new nib will be more expensive than getting the old one fixed, but in case you wanted to investigate then FPnibs of Spain repair and retip gold nibs.

If your nib is a gold nib I would price up the cost of a new one first then consider any other options. If it's a gold plated steel nib then it will be cheaper to buy another one.

Thank you Chrissy.

The nib is only stainless steel. I did some research, and I have decided to buy a new nib for it. All good!!!

I am also going to look into a new pen. Not sure what brand yet.

I really need to get my eyes checked. B)

After looking at the nib all day, I just realized it is not a stainless steel but a Solid 18k Gold Rhodium Plated.

With that in mind, I maybe better off with a new pen after all.

You apply a restorative force equal to but opposite in magnitude as the force that damaged the nib.

Sometimes it is easier to apply a series of small forces than it is to apply just one.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I used to buy used pens with damaged/bent nibs and broken bodies for cheap as project pens and then try to repair them. But not now. It takes too much time and energy as I have no repair tools whatsoever.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316877-home-repairs-with-almost-no-tools/

Yours look to me as if it could easily be home repaired.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I have discovered that I am not very good at repairing nibs. I am trying to work on a solution. I will keep everyone posted.

Thank you,

Lucy