Lamy Petrol Bottled Ink Availability

Bill P

Hi Noihvo,

Please understand it's not just this Petrol debacle. One of the problems is the mysterious supply issues they are having lately.

Granted, their lilac and Petrol are really nice colors and will be more in demand than near useless inks like Neon Lime; but the Copper Orange was a nice color, too, but I don't recall anyone having any trouble getting a bottle.

Lilac was super popular and re-issues were promised but NEVER delivered on... that ink was so well received, it should have been inducted into their standard line-up, (just as the LE black Al-Star and LE Apple Green Safari both became standard offerings).

Now the same thing is happening with the Petrol; the dealers and customers both assured Lamy it would be a mega-hit, so what does Lamy do? They release it in (seemingly) even shorter numbers than last years Lilac! :huh:

This indicates to me that Lamy is either completely inept, (which I KNOW is not the case), OR, they are playing a marketing game on their customer base that doesn't sit well with me.

Furthermore, while I haven't weighed them yet; I swear the Petrol and newer Safari's weigh less than past models, at least they have a lighter, or "cheaper" feel to them, IMHO.

I've had a couple more issues with them, but I don't want to turn this into another diatribe. However, in general, I'm beginning to think their quality and overall operation is slipping.

I know they are trying desperately to stay in Germany and I want them to, but they've got to get their act together... and quickly... and these 8-ball LE ink releases lately are not helping their rep.

Peace be with you. :)

- Anthony

fpn_1495376570__img_3019.jpg

fpn_1495376592__img_3020.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• Cyber6

• Rskula

• LizB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No where on the bottle, which has no label at all, or anywhere on the box, in any language, is it stated that Petrol is "limited" or "special" or in any way different, unique, desirable. If someone walked into a shop and looked at the box there is no way to know that it isn't any different in availability, production , etc. from any of the regularly available Lamy inks.

The term "Petrol" only appears on the bottom of the box, on a sticker with a bar code and the words "LAMY INK BOTTLE PETROL".

So as far as Lamy's marketing of this ink, it merely went along with the pen, which seems readily available, though Goulet is restocking in May along with the ink.

white_lotus thank you! I just got Epinard and Sky High, so I can't buy anything else at the moment. I did not know Amanita muscaria is available. I looked for a doppleganger, but never found a great match. I think Diamine-Sunset and KWZ-Grapefruit was about as close as I could get. I even contacted Tekker to try to get them to make me a bottle that matched Amanita muscaria, but they never replied to my email. I appreciate your thoughts on all the inks you mentioned.

It's my understanding that they don't exist any more. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

And thanks to all who addressed my question about Lamy v. Sailor. These issues of artificial scarcity in markets really fascinate me.

Pensei, they don't exist anymore. I contacted them before they announced they were shutting down.

What you are not accounting for on the availability is horrible, no good, rotten people like me. . .

I just happened to catch the Vanness email and then proceed to order 10 bottles, which were delivered last week. Why not buy ten, they are only $10.50 each?

Later that day I happened across some Dark Lilac cartilages from Croatia and ordered a full 30 Packs with store display.

You just have to strike hard when you get the emails or right opportunity to do so.

Good question from Pencei about other limited edition inks, and why the fuss over Lamy. I have accepted that I am never going to get KWZI Northern Twilight, but of course I will still buy KWZ inks. It is marketing. A limited edition builds up hype and demand etc. That is surely the whole point of making a Limited Edition thing. They are playing with our desires to own the thing that not everyone can own. I mean, it's just green ink. There are lots of other green inks.

As for limited edition inks for pen shows, the marketing is to entice people to attend the pen shows.

Apologies if this has been mentioned. I haven't read all the comments.

Side note: LizB, pretty sure I've enjoyed your ink reviews and your handwriting.

Final note: When I see the LE ink excitement, I mentally hug KWZ Inks. (I use standard inks mostly--Pilot Blue, Noodler's Black--and KWZ for COLOR!)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

No where on the bottle, which has no label at all, or anywhere on the box, in any language, is it stated that Petrol is "limited" or "special" or in any way different, unique, desirable. If someone walked into a shop and looked at the box there is no way to know that it isn't any different in availability, production , etc. from any of the regularly available Lamy inks.

The term "Petrol" only appears on the bottom of the box, on a sticker with a bar code and the words "LAMY INK BOTTLE PETROL".

So as far as Lamy's marketing of this ink, it merely went along with the pen, which seems readily available, though Goulet is restocking in May along with the ink.

Hello White Lotus,

I should have been clearer, I wasn't referring to that type of marketing; i.e., packaging and labelling.

I was referring to the sadistic marketing "game" they seem to be playing with the method of release of their last two LE colors. I also don't like the fact that native Germans and other Europeans have no access to it at all! That's just not right.

I can appreciate an item being a LE, but there's something definitely wrong when MB LE inks are easier to get than Lamys. :D

- Anthony

PS: All that said, given my weak, impulsive nature; I'll probably continue to buy Lamy pens and their std. inks, because they're one of the least problematic of the modern brands... I've never had a Lamy suffer from ink flow/starvation issues, for example.

But I also think I'll continue to sit out on these poorly (or sadistically) played out LE ink releases.

But that's okay; it'll leave more for you guys. :D

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Nope... .What did it say?

C.

Hi Cyber,

I haven't seen it, but my guess is they are going to release the hounds in a few minutes. ;)

- Anthony

Hi Cyber,

I haven't seen it, but my guess is they are going to release the hounds in a few minutes. ;)

- Anthony

Yes, and they also indicated that they had not received as many bottles from Lamy as they thought they would, and they did not even get as many bottles as they had on there availability notification request list.

Nope... .What did it say?

C.

For the Goulet Allocation:

The email said there will be limited bottles, I went on the the site at 12:15PM. They limited your purchase to 2 bottles per person. It let me add it to the cart and then it when I pressed checkout it took 2 mins to load and said they were out of stock.

The email said there will be limited bottles, I went on the the site at 12:15PM. They limited your purchase to 2 bottles per person. It let me add it to the cart and then it when I pressed checkout it took 2 mins to load and said they were out of stock.

What a tease... :(

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I posted 1 of my 10 bottles on Ebay for $65 and it sold just after the Goulet Drop for $65.

Sounds like this is going to be crazier than Dark Lilac.

There were 864 views and 6 watchers on the listing.

I listed the next bottle for $75

I was on the site when it went live. By the time I got to my cart at 10:08PST there was the insufficient stock for the 1 bottle I wanted. Oh well.

I posted 1 of my 10 bottles on Ebay for $65 and it sold just after the Goulet Drop for $65.

Yay for you?

This is BS, Lamy! :angry:

Released at 1 pm and completely gone by 2 pm! The funny thing is I'm not even mad for myself; I had already decided not to go for it, but I'm ticked off for those who DID want it and for this dog and pony show Lamy is putting on.

Do like I did and get yourselves a bottle of R&K Verdigris and don't look back. :D It doesn't sheen, but sheen just makes an ink tougher to flush out anyways; in my experience.

Sorry for those who wanted it and couldn't get it. :(

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

The ones I really feel sorry for are the poor souls who are crazy enough to pay your prices.

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

If you really bought ten bottles and then started selling them on Ebay, you should be ashamed of yourself. No way in the world I would pay that much money for that ink. I am not buying that Petrol ink unless they make more, and give people a chance to buy it within a reasonable time frame. If they don't, it is their loss and not mine.