Lamy Petrol Bottled Ink Availability

Bill P

Despite pre-order, then pre-paid, notified today of a refund since they received less than their ordered amount. (nice folks, they tried).

Passed by two locations to remain loyal to the pre-order.

Done with it since the graduation gift time has passed. no joy

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• Cyber6

• Rskula

• LizB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to hear about that. Even though I'm one of the lucky ones, I fully understand the disappointment. Lamy should at least provide enough ink so it lasts a little while at the shops.

There is one seller on ebay who had 4 bottles left @ 03:20 5-17-17 $25 w/ free shipping - search "lamy ink petrol bottle"

And there are 15 interested people watching but not prepared to stump up $25 for a bottle. It's a buy-it-now thing, so it's not as if the price will go down. On the other hand, perhaps those watchers are waiting to see what is happening in the usual stores before leaping?

... On the other hand, perhaps those watchers are waiting to see what is happening in the usual stores before leaping?

Yes... let's not panic... keep in mind that Pen Chalet and Goulet have not even released their allotments for sale yet. :)

I think I'm gonna sit this one out on principle because I REALLY don't like the way Lamy is running their railroad... last year's Lilac I assumed was a mistake and I gave them a pass... but this is now starting to look like a twisted marketing angle and that I have no patience for. :angry:

Besides, I'm happy with my R&K Verdigris... it came yesterday... and it's so wet and juicy in my Pearl Lamy Logo that I'm beside myself.

But for those of you still in this horse race... keep your eyes on Goulet and Pen Chalet.

Btw, has Anderson sold any of his allotment yet? (If not, check there, too). Also keep an eye on StreetFair on e-bay... he's legit and he won't price gouge. :)

And in the words of the Immortal Scoob... Rots a ruck! :D

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Yes... let's not panic... keep in mind that Pen Chalet and Goulet have not even released their allotments for sale yet. :)

Unfortunately, this isn't correct. I had pre-ordered from Pen Chalet and also received an email from them that they didn't get enough to even fill pre-orders and my order was cancelled. They said Lamy told them no more of the ink would be coming. I'm done with Lamy. I won't order another pen or ink from them. There's no reason for this to happen, frankly, because the retailers had to tell them demand was going to be high.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

Unfortunately, this isn't correct. I had pre-ordered from Pen Chalet and also received an email from them that they didn't get enough to even fill pre-orders and my order was cancelled. They said Lamy told them no more of the ink would be coming. I'm done with Lamy. I won't order another pen or ink from them. There's no reason for this to happen, frankly, because the retailers had to tell them demand was going to be high.

Hi Omega, et al,

That is a shame; I assumed it was still pending at Pen Chalet because when I ordered some J. Herbin inks from them the day before yesterday; the Petrol was still an active "Pre-Order" item on their site.

Yes, this hole keeps getting deeper and darker, doesn't it? :ninja:

This is terrible for me, Lamy is probably my favorite modern pen brand and now I have to seriously question ever buying another. :crybaby: I had already resigned myself from walking away from their LE inks... now I have to wonder about the entire brand. :(

One factor I'm debating... sort of in their defense... I think the significant similarities between Lamy Dk. Lilac and Petrol and DeA Aubergine and R&K Verdigris ARE NOT coincidental. I don't think these recent LE inks were made "in-house," which could very well explain their extremely short and sporadic supply.

Which also puts Lamy on the horns of a dilemma... they should be honest and up-front about it with their dealers and customer base... but how can a company who has prided itself, (and bragged about), as always being a "completely in-house" brand, admit that they out-sourced their LE inks, (probably because it was much more feasible)?

- Anthony

"Despite pre-order, then pre-paid, notified today of a refund since they received less than their ordered amount. (nice folks, they tried).

Passed by two locations to remain loyal to the pre-order"

"Also still waiting on a pre-release al-star LX inquiry by Lamy USA.

May try Sailor yama dori as a substitute - pretty color"

Revisiting this so the ink availability issue doesn't shift negatively towards the small businesses that unflaggingly support our pen, ink, paper wishes.

As noted, at least two resellers received only half of their pre-orders from Lamy. These fine people laboring on our behalf cannot deliver what the company declines to send. (separate issue).

That early Amazon avidly drove small businesses out of business (including small reliable pen world businesses) prevents me from supporting Amazon now. Knowing this now fading history, I take the extra step to seek out the small businesses directly. My tiny budget isn't very helpful to them, but in our world sharing positive business experiences do count. (edit to include: possibly the amazon model now has aspects that work for some small businesses - ask the small business).

Safari fountain pen is a solid basic. As is their ink. The Dark Lilac ink from last year was a leap above in performance. That was my interest in the Petrol ink, perhaps same quality. hmm? outsourced, so limited quantity? As just informed about the Kawaco similarity to Caran d'Ache Dark Storm that could be an option that FPN's creative ink testers will discern and share :)

Obviously after being a customer for 30 years I don't understand Lamy's business model - after spending money on advertising, leaving avid waiting customers with empty hands. The positive plus reception of Dark Lilac last year, its heavy demand should have clearly dictated supply this year. At least it's not like investing in a flawlessly running Meile vac that's 100% unusable for want of its essential accessory, the hose. We have the choice of alternative inks.

p2p - the practical one

(who needs another cup of coffee - lengthy post, sorry)

Edited by pen2paper

... I think the significant similarities between Lamy Dk. Lilac and Petrol and DeA Aubergine and R&K Verdigris ARE NOT coincidental. I don't think these recent LE inks were made "in-house," which could very well explain their extremely short and sporadic supply.

I seriously doubt DeA and R&K are in any way involved in this. I personally don't find them that similar. Yes, they are close, as close as Robert Oster's Marrone Mustard and Luis Vuitton's Or Audicieux. Close, but no Cigar. ;)

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I concur they are not IDENTICAL, just similar enough to say they may be "tweaked" versions that were made for Lamy... but I could also be completely wrong. :D

I'm just grasping at straws because I hate the thought of what's probably REALLY happening, (that Lamy is playing a game of "string tied to the wallet... er uh, ink bottle" with their customer base and dealer network)... I've always been a big Lamy fan... my FIRST fp was an Ocean Blue Al-Star. :(

I don't know why their two BEST LE colors are so impossible to manufacture in an adequate supply... it's a crying shame that there's no shortage of Neon Lime, but the good stuff, they make in short batches.

Well, I'm not gonna worry about it... I just hope Lamy realizes what they're doing with their reputation. :unsure:

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Step 1: Order bottle of Petrol from Anderson Pens

Step 2: Tell the rest of FPN that it's available at Anderson Pens

Edited by keo

I was getting tired of waiting for my pre-order and tried some DA Black Edition Black Blue and IMHO it's another good "match" for the Petrol. There's just enough of a hint of green in it that makes it work perfectly with the Petrol.

Just checked my e-mails & got a notice from Anderson's that Lamy Petrol is in. Checked & they still have some.

Cult Pens had some so ordered it from them last week - turned up today. It's a nice dark moody colour. I was in two minds about getting it but glad I did based on others comments about supply. It didn't seem there was going to be any coming to NZ (besides cartridges) that I could find. Lamy need to get their act together and provide what their customers want else their customers will go elsewhere.

I ordered two bottles tonight...one from Anderson, one from iPenStore. Both of them still list it as in stock right now.

Somebody needs to have testers to tell the Lamy folks if they have a hit or not on LE ink. I've never wanted a Safari pen, but I love the color. I thought I will get the ink, and if I like it enough I will even spring for the pen. Then I hear they will quit making EX nibs. Lamy Dark Lilac was a home run. I would probably like the Petrol a lot. I'm not jumping through any hoops to get a bottle. There are too many lovely inks already out there to try to grab what may be just a decent but not incredible ink. Now that I've heard how they've botched this round of LE ink too, I'm not even going to click on a dealer site to look for it anymore. The ones desperate to get it won't be competing with me for it. I have found some really nice ink lately by sampling. I'm not going to struggle to get a bottle of ink from this company anymore. If they learn from this and change their ways, fine. I may buy ink in the future. If not it is their loss, not mine.