Is It Time For An Iron-Gall Thread?

Nibbler

I'm in the market, so to speak, but there's quite a few IG inks out there now and I wondered it it was time for an updated thread?

I'm liking the look of KWZ, but there are only a few reviews out there. I love Diamine, but not sure about registrars. MB gets love from many people and so does R&K.

One think I'm looking forward to is an ink that 'develops' or changes colour whilst it dries/oxidises etc. I know there are some things one should know about behaviour - although the downsides may have been exaggerated?

Anyway, I've never used one, but would like to try one - what are your thoughts?

Edited by Nibbler

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nibbler

• Moonshae

• wallylynn

• TennesseeTrash

I've been using the KWZI IG Turquoise for the past few days, and it's beautiful. Lays wet as a brilliant turquoise and darkens to a deep teal, with great shading. I have it in a Jinhao for now because if it gets ruined, I won't be heartbroken or out a lot of money. Depending on how the pen survives over time, with daily use and proper cleaning between refills, I may use it in better pens.

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

R&K Salix is my number one go-to ink.

Over the years I've tried most of the IG inks still available on the market (I think MB discontinued theirs several years ago), and Salix is the one I always come back to. A close second is the blue-black Urkundentinte from Pharmacist, though I haven't seen him active here in quite awhile. I've never tried any of the offerings from KWZ (I've still got some 10 bottles of Salix to use up before looking for a new IG ink), though they look good.

I should note that I've used Salix for more than a decade and have yet to have problems with it in any pen, new or old, cheap or expensive.

Edited by Exploratorius

<span style='font-size: 12px;'><span style='font-family: Trebuchet MS'><span style='color: #0000ff'><strong class='bbc'>Mitch</strong></span><span style='color: #0000ff'>

=======

http://exploratorius.us

Thanks both. I like the look of the Turquoise, but I probably wouldn't use an ink of that colour much. I like the idea of putting it in a Jinhao for starters. I have a few knocking about.

And Exploratorius 10 bottles of the same ink is a lot! How much do you get through? That's good to hear about the pens though - not that I have a lot of pounds sterling invested in them, it's nice to know they'll be ok. Do you rinse?

TVM

Thanks both. I like the look of the Turquoise, but I probably wouldn't use an ink of that colour much. I like the idea of putting it in a Jinhao for starters. I have a few knocking about.

And Exploratorius 10 bottles of the same ink is a lot! How much do you get through? That's good to hear about the pens though - not that I have a lot of pounds sterling invested in them, it's nice to know they'll be ok. Do you rinse?

TVM

Keep in mind that even if it is a Turquoise color it will get darken pretty quickly being iron gall as Moonshae pointed out.

But for the price, Salix and Scabiosa by R&K are great.

I had a vintage MB iron gall Blue Black and it was pretty great. So if you can get your hands on some vintage bottles...

"He who obeys, does not hear himself"

post-127515-0-72380100-1492691142.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/aalexangelov/

Alex

There is also Pelikan 4001 blue-black, which you should be able to get in the UK.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Diamine Registrar's is probably my favourite ink, but it doesn't really have a wow-factor change in colour as it develops. It just goes a little bit darker.

I also have KWZI IG Orange which, when both the bottle was brand new and the pen is freshly inked, gives a very striking citrus orange -> brown change right before your eyes. It's great, but fairly quickly the ink in the pen presumably oxidises a little bit and the effect it no longer so pronounced.

I've yet to notice any change in Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black, although it, too, is a favourite ink of mine.

Since you're also in the UK, get a bottle of Diamine Registrar's to try out. I've never had a problem with it, even long term, but then I do make sure to give the pen a good flush every 6 months or so.

"Diamine Registrar's is probably my favourite ink, but it doesn't really have a wow-factor change in colour as it develops. It just goes a little bit darker."

Ok, that's probably enough for me to buy a bottle. Anyone's favourite ink has to be worth a shot. Thank you.

Does anybody know if I there is any fountain pen where "real" iron gall ink can be used (I'm referring to the one sold by Kalligraphie.ch, http://www.kalligraphie.ch/store/index.php/cat/c55_Oak-Gall-Ink.html?x41301=e4uq7fqvi7o0hg3deqhoscdak5).

They specifically state that it is not suitable for fountain pens, but I suppose it depends on the nib material and the barrel/sac. Any experience on this?

One cause for concern is that IG inks may lose their colour (in bottle) faster than dye inks and may have shorter shelf lives. LINK LINK2

Edited by antichresis

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Does anybody know if I there is any fountain pen where "real" iron gall ink can be used (I'm referring to the one sold by Kalligraphie.ch, http://www.kalligraphie.ch/store/index.php/cat/c55_Oak-Gall-Ink.html?x41301=e4uq7fqvi7o0hg3deqhoscdak5).

They specifically state that it is not suitable for fountain pens, but I suppose it depends on the nib material and the barrel/sac. Any experience on this?

You'll have to use dip pens. As well as rusting nibs etc, there are issues with clogging the feed of a fountain pen.

I've used the Blots Iron Gall ink (probably very similar to the one you linked to) with dip pens and it's a pleasant experience. Very fine hairlines and lovely swells. The ink also has a huge "developing" shift from light blue to almost black so it's fun. But yes, dip pen only.

Edited by milkb0at

Diamine Registrar's is very well behaved and rather easy to clean. My all time favorite is Hero 232 - a bit more blue and a bit darker than Diamine, and cheap as well.

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

I'm getting interested in IG inks, i'm waiting on a bottle of KWZ IG Green Gold that is most likely gong to be inked up in my TWSBI Eco most of the time. I tried a sample and had no issues with leaving it in my pen for a couple weeks. Definitely wouldn't use it in a pen that the nib/feeder cant be removed easily though.

I'm getting interested in IG inks, i'm waiting on a bottle of KWZ IG Green Gold that is most likely gong to be inked up in my TWSBI Eco most of the time. I tried a sample and had no issues with leaving it in my pen for a couple weeks. Definitely wouldn't use it in a pen that the nib/feeder cant be removed easily though.

I have that one in the mail. I was thinking about putting it in my Eco, too.

Traditional "real" iron gall is made of real oak tree galls. Aka organic matter. Aka mold food. Traditionally it's also too thin (for dip pens), so gum arabic is added to thicken it so it'll cling to the dip pen. Gum arabic is also bad for pens.

I bought 3 bottles of Chesterfield Archival, aka Diamine Registrar, it went down fairly light blue but darkened nicely. The ink in the bottle didn't hold up as well over time though. There's a layer of iron sludge now. I don't know if it's the ink, the plastic bottle, or both. So nowadays I only get minimal color change from light grey to darker grey. I know it still "works" because I can see it evaporate in my demonstrator and leave behind a bit of sludge. When that happens it writes nice and dark, I rather like it.

Just in case, I transferred my last bottle to glass.

When that's finished I'd like to try ESSRI. Had a bottle of original Lamy Bl-Bk. Didn't like it, too pale. It got spilled by the toddler. My MB bl-bk is my prized ink. I don't use it much. It's lushious and smooth. Goes down like a burgendy-violet and dries quite dark.

I love Rohrer and Klingner Scabiosa. It is not a good choice for someone who wants to start with a bright color and have it fade within a few seconds to an entirely different, strong hue. It begins as a highly shaded (but not bright) purple and cures over time to a coppery lilac.

KWZI IG Blue-Black is a classic IG ink that behaves pretty well. Also look at Akkerman #10.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I'd like to see an iron-gall thread

There is an aura of mystery about them and many FPN people obviously use them.

I've avoided them whenever I know a certain ink has that property

It would be nice to be able to tap into that knowledge of use and solutions to problems and have it all in one thread

I'd like to see an iron-gall thread

There is an aura of mystery about them and many FPN people obviously use them.

I've avoided them whenever I know a certain ink has that property

It would be nice to be able to tap into that knowledge of use and solutions to problems and have it all in one thread

I think this thread is quickly becoming that thread. :)