Blackstone Australian Bush Scented Ink

dcwaites

This is an ink I was sent by Kevin of Blackstone inks to review. It is one of the new Australian scented inks.

fpn_1492661526__australianbush.jpg

In summary, this is a well-behaved, wettish, saturated ink that has a mild, pleasant scent of eucalyptus.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• dcwaites

• white_lotus

• amberleadavis

Thanks for the review, David - I've run two pens dry of this ink, but plan to re-fill now that I'm back from a trip away... Hoping the full-size bottles are available for purchase before my review sample runs out!

I think these look beautiful!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

The "Q-Tip Sample" was actually applied with a finger, not being in possession of any cotton buds at the time. It came out, exactly as I wanted, with a little touch of Zen. I will be using that technique more often in future.

Granny Aching

Any plan on new inks without scents? I don't go for scented inks myself.

I wouldn't be surprised - Kevin always seems to be experimenting with new inks, pens etc - but given the number of inks in his scented line, I wouldn't expect anything soon. From what I understand, though, the formulation of these inks (dyes, lubricants etc) are similar to the non-scented inks - so unless you have an in-principle objection to your inks smelling nice, they might still be worth a try!

Well I actually don't use any scents, perfumes, etc., so I really don't want any scented ink.

Edited by white_lotus

Well I actually don't use any scents, perfumes, etc., so I really don't want any scented ink.

Fair enough - I don't have a strong sense of smell, but even so I tend to form an association between ink and smell. Being an Aussie, it's always a pleasant sensation to uncap a pen and smell the eucalyptus scent - but I *also* enjoy the industrial chemical scent of Noodler's 54th Massachusetts. ;)

Hopefully Kevin will continue to diversify *both* ranges over time. You could try contacting him directly via the JustWrite.com.au website to ask about nom-scented versions though - you're probably not alone in preferring unscented products!

I wouldn't get too fussed over the scent. You can't smell it on the paper once it has dried, and it is a very nice ink, in saturation and behaviour.

Granny Aching

I like blue-green inks, but I'm not a huge fan of just green inks. My experience with scented inks so far has been...disappointing...to say the least. de Atramentis sandalwood smells nothing at all like sandalwood, it's a generic floral scent (??), and their lilac smells awfully close to the same, and nothing like lilac.

If this really has a eucalyptus scent, I think that would be wonderful.

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

I wouldn't get too fussed over the scent. You can't smell it on the paper once it has dried, and it is a very nice ink, in saturation and behaviour.

Agreed - like most inks, the scent evaporates as the ink dries - very noticeable though when I first uncap my pen to write!

I like blue-green inks, but I'm not a huge fan of just green inks. My experience with scented inks so far has been...disappointing...to say the least. de Atramentis sandalwood smells nothing at all like sandalwood, it's a generic floral scent (??), and their lilac smells awfully close to the same, and nothing like lilac.

If this really has a eucalyptus scent, I think that would be wonderful.

Certainly smells like eucalyptus to me - not overpowering, but very pleasant!

• 2 months later...

For anyone who's interested, the full range of Blackstone Scents of Australia inks is available at http://justwrite.com.au/. I believe they should soon be available (if they're not already) from their American and European distributors too.

Thank you for this woody review. Your f-tip sample makes an - at least for my eyes - an interesting effect on the paper a bit like stars...