Most Intelligent Answer To The Criticisms Of The Visconti Line Of Homo Sapiens Fountain Pens

dyoneda1

Well Done Dave !! And thanks to Mike for taking the time.

I've worked on one of these Palladium nibs and can attest to the fact that they are very tricky to work on. I will say that properly tuned they are unparalleled writers.

I have seen many comments on the low ink capacity of the large Homo Sapiens Bronze. The pen holds between 1.3-1.5 ml of ink. Not way out of line for ordinary pens, but not what you would expect from an oversized Vac filler like the Homo Sapiens. We are all use to the massive ink capacity of the TWSBI Vac 700 and Pilot 823. You won't get that in the Homo Sapiens. It might make sense to consider these to be "novelty" pens, big in size, cool indestructible lava bodies and brass trim, incredable nib, Well balanced, great writers, but puny ink supply, good for about 5 pages with a medium nib. Quality control issues on the part of Visconti are a concern. Hopefully they will get them straightened out.

Buy the pen because it's a dream to write with and beautiful to behold, not what you want it to be.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dyoneda1

• Namo

• Mulrich

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great post!

I will though throw my 2¢, for what it's worth.

First, you said your post was about the HS line, but the argument is indeed more aimed at criticism about the Visconti brands.

The HS line suffers from design flows IMHO: namely, the grip is just awefull. I understand that there is no rule here: to each his/her own. But the grip asks for a very specific hand and fingers position. This is due both to the "threads" and to the ring at the top of the grip. I tried the pen (twice and actually owned one), but it was good only for short note taking, not for actual writing. It seems to me that a more versatile grip would have been in order.

I have another doubt: the power filler mechanism is a nice feature, but since I saw the ink chamber, I cannot keep myself from wondering up to what point it's a necessity: I am not sure it holds more or even as much ink than a good piston filler.

This been said, I am in love with the original HS (I am not big for the concept over exploitation, aka declination). I bought a pencil. The material is so incredible!

I would like to have a run with the new Brunelleschi, this is a pen I could see me buying some day.

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Yeah I think the criticism that still stands is the power filler. When you pair a gusher with a 1.3 ml ink capacity, it doesn't seem to make sense. I don't even understand why the midi is still around. It seems like an invitation to receive negative feedback, when people realize the capacity for those is just 1 ml.

Thanks for the original insight on the design. I didn't have a problem with the grip. I do have a problem with writing unposted. And it seems that's the only way to write with this pen, since, posted, feels terrible in terms of weight distribution.

Regarding whether I was referring to Visconti as a company or not, I was only drawing a generalization from my experience with HS, so in a way, I am wondering if because the HS uses plastic feeds and a less expensive metal for the nibs, based on that alone, does this signal that the company is looking at cutting costs? Not sure otherwise what you mean. Perhaps it's unfair to judge the company since this is my first Visconti pen. However, if I find strong signs of cheapness in any product of extravagance, I am likely to jump to that conclusion. Thank God I don't mind continuing my research, a path that led to Mr. Masuyama, and open my mind to more accurate findings. But your point is well taken. I'll probably buy another. I'm interested in the Michelangelo as we speak. Maybe one day I'll get a fuller picture of the Visconti name.

Anyhow. To address the other responder, I don't know if I would say this is a novelty pen since to me that connotes a sense of gimmicky features. I do agree it's flawed. I do wish the pen was easier to maintain -- that's another gripe. But I don't know. I figure this is small stuff, when you compare it to the overall and multiple effort to make a new kind of fountain pen. I'm definitely glad Visconti decided to look beyond an overall saturated market of gold nibbed fountain pens. For the refreshing experience and break from tradition, I'm more than happy to get mine adjusted. My point, enjoy palladium for the experience it brings and continue on with one's collection. That's why we don't put every hope into one pen. There's so much more out there.

Edited by dyoneda1

Another thanks for this post!

I just purchased my Visconti HS maxi at the FPH Spring Expo this weekend! I love the feel of the lava and the pairing with the bronze trim.

I'm glad you mentioned the ink capacity: I thought "power filler" meant not just the method but also implied higher ink capacity. I had just inked it this morning and wondered about it.

This is my 3rd Visconti. I have not written at length yet but the nib is smooth and easy to write with, so ... so far so good, but I imagine I will be taking it to Mike Masuyama to get an italic grind on it as I usually do with new pens.

No problem.

Yeah, I returned my Visconti HS Bronze Age after giving it a chance for a few days. In general, it wouldn't write well, and the VISCONTI logo on the clip feathered. Yeah, believe it or not, around the words you can see fine hairlines issuing from the words. I paid $495 for it, and it looks like a reconditioned pen. The seller had 100% customer reviews, and almost 7,000 reviews.

So recently, I won an eBay auction from another 100% seller, but this time the seller had 17,000 reviews. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if that's better, since the sheer volume of pens sold would drown out any negative review. But I suppose that's why I chose a 100 percenter. Anyway, with luck on my side, and three auctions from the same seller later, I did land a Visconti HS Oversized Steel Age for $350. Try getting that price for a MIDI. You probably couldn't. Definitely a "steal"!

Of course, I prefer a Bronze or Dark. Bronze definitely hearkens to a Roman / Latin look, and with the tarnishing, I would have loved one. However, those went for $420 and up. I think eventually I'll have all three -- for the right price. I can be pretty patient!

Anyway, just wanted to look out for you -- that, if ink capacity is an issue for you, the italic grind may make it worse.

Edited by dyoneda1

By the way, for those who don't believe in your power filler abilities, and you need a window to indicate how much ink went into your pen, or for those who carry your pen in a holster ready to pull out in a split second to sign a restaurant receipt, but oh hell, the pen is empty! For those people, I believe Visconti is coming out with a new HS with a window indicating ink level. In my opinion, it's ugly AF. Reminds me of those plastic rollerball pens. But hey, they try to address the problem.

This review came out over a year ago, so I'm not sure why we don't see this "new" Visconti HS on the market as yet. If anyone knows what happened with this new HS, let me know.

Here's the link:

By the way, for those who don't believe in your power filler abilities, and you need a window to indicate how much ink went into your pen, or for those who carry your pen in a holster ready to pull out in a split second to sign a restaurant receipt, but oh hell, the pen is empty! For those people, I believe Visconti is coming out with a new HS with a window indicating ink level. In my opinion, it's ugly AF. Reminds me of those plastic rollerball pens. But hey, they try to address the problem.

This review came out over a year ago, so I'm not sure why we don't see this "new" Visconti HS on the market as yet. If anyone knows what happened with this new HS, let me know.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b4C6-TTurA&t=395s

I don't know if that pen was ever meant for mass production. It sounded like a one off project just for that gentleman.

I agree. It looks cheap with that window there. People complain that there is no window in the current model but good luck selling one that does.

Edited by dyoneda1

Buy the pen because it's a dream to write with and beautiful to behold, not what you want it to be.

Dream to write with and beautiful to behold? That's exactly what I want a pen to be.

LOL. I just realized that everyone wants that. It's just when Visconti doesn't dry start and railroad (unlike a dream writing experience) or does peel at the enamel (not so beautiful to behold) that we revolt. However, nib adjustment will at least solve half the problem, so fear not.

Edited by dyoneda1

Another huge thanks to the OP!

The HS-BA is on my grail list. I almost pulled the trigger but my hesitation was the same as most that hesitate,(aside from the cost). I just don't think that a new pen should have to be sent to a nibmeister to function. If I want this pen though, or any Visconti, I will just have to accept that as reality and bite the bullet.

I have learned recently that a new "precious resin", cartridge/converter version of the Homo Sapiens will be released very soon, if it has not been already.

I'm pretty damn happy right now. To conclude my Visconti adventure, I believe I have been extremely fortunate. The correspondence I had with Mr. Masuyama was all based on one Visconti HS Oversized Bronze Age that I was looking at adjusting. It was writing terribly, and the enamel was feathering the VISCONTI logo on the clip. I returned it to the seller. I paid $495. I thought that was a fair price, but it turned out to be defective. Since I suspected it was reconditioned, the cosmetic work was so bad, I didn't want to return to that seller.

You would think that I would go to Goulet and have them dip test it; however, I'm not sure if that will do much. Technically, they can test it, it not work well, and I would still be charged a 10% fee for filling the pen. On eBay, the seller will even pay for return shipment with full refund. That ended well.

So a few days after I purchased this Bronze Age, I find this Steel Age auction that I land for a "steal." $350. I spend like $13 for shipping. And though it shipped internationally, I didn't pay anything to customs. Sweet! Now Steel Age is no Bronze. I understand why people would like Bronze. There's more you can do with it. But I'm sorry. For the price I got it, I'm good with Steel.

I just received the Steel an hour ago. First thing I check is the enamel around the Visconti letters -- perfect! I quickly unpackaged it and use my Visconti Traveling Inkwell to fill the fountain pen. I'm anxious and spill half the Kon Peki Pilot Iroshizuku all over my hands and down the pen. Mortified -- because I purchased the Inkwell so I didn't have to wet the porous lava / resin exterior. I guess I just inserted the nib in and didn't get a snug fit. Whatever. So I test out the pen. Perfect! See picture!

Perhaps it is harsh to assume all Viscontis will need adjustment because this one doesn't need anything. It's perfect. When I spoke to the seller, the seller did say these batches of pens are brand spankin' new. Now I wonder if these newer pens have it right, while what I had gotten before may have been a very old batch. Who knows? It definitely wrote like a first gen.

Happy ending!

post-110810-0-37328700-1493057866_thumb.jpg

Edited by dyoneda1

EHV, think about taking the hit for the team. The team being your fountain pen collection, that is. And it may not end up needing adjustments. For me, I don't have much money, so I choose carefully the pens that I either truly enjoy or stand as a good specimen for some kind of new breed. I'd like to also say I've experienced different metals. I have a solid representation of 14k and 18k gold. And to have a good specimen of palladium, I'll do what it takes. It's also nice that ultimately I didn't have to. I have no guilt whatsoever. Some people spend $550 and up with tax and shipping. I paid $363 out the door. Maybe I don't believe this is a grail pen, but I feel it's one of many solid fountain pens that can represent one facet of a very multi-faceted, colorful world of writing instruments.

Edited by dyoneda1

I don't know. If I buy a Ferrari, I would expect it to run rather than just send it to a garage straight from the dealer. Nobody buys a car to send it for fixing up before driving it.

Same with pens.

I have no immediate interest in Visconti/Homo Sapiens but the OP was still quite a great read. Thanks

My first visconti was a HS Bronze Age with a 1.3mm nib. It wrote so wet and had such bad baby's bottom, that I found it completely unusable for everyday writing or even for the occasional correspondence letter. I sold it off.

I purchased another HS Bronze Age with a Broad nib from a reputable seller here on FPN in the classifieds. I was excited to get another HS because I truly love the pen design and super soft nib. Unfortunately it arrived out of box with the worst case of baby's bottom I'm ever experienced with any pen in my 100+ pen collection.

I tried to love it. I tried to use it by gently pressing down on the nib to get it writing each time I touched the pen to paper. This made what would normally take a second to write a sentence, into a slow and frustrating 3-5 minute event. Then one day it blobbed a huge spot of black ink onto a letter just as I was finishing the page. It completely ruined the entire letter and I had to rewrite the note with a new sheet of paper and a different pen. That was around August 2016. Sadly, I could no longer use the pen as it was just too frustrating. It sat in my pen case for half a year until I could see Mike M at the LA Pen Show in February 2017 for a much needed tuneup and grind.

I never thought once to return it to the FPN seller, nor did I make any attempt to contact the seller. I didn't believe it was the sellers fault and I honestly loved the pen design. I still do. Most of my pens have medium and fine nibs as I've found them to be the most versatile for everyday use. The difference comes when I decide to pen a letter to my clients. I like the line variation to be evident in such letters. I have 2 go to pens for such occassions, my favorite stub nib Delta Fusion 82 and my perfectly tuned Visconti HS broad.

I prefer the Delta Fusion 82 Stub above all else because it is such a smooth writer and the stub produces amazing script. Although the Masuyama tuned Visconti has a tighter line, it's just a little too wet for use on cheaper work letterhead. I use it when I'm at home with my Rhodia paper. Thank goodness for Mike though. He saved my otherwise very expensive paper weight!

So would I buy another Visconti? Yes. In fact I purchased a London Fog recently and love it. Are their pens expensive? Yes, IMHO. Why purchase pens from a company with known quality control issues? Simply put ... I like their designs.

Nibs can always be tuned. I value pens for their designs. It's the best functional art in the world. (Cars too)

Edited by 888007888

I concur with the general consensus...I like Visconti in the sense that they make some decent looking pens, but I've returned both HSs I had due to scratchy nibs. I can understand an F being a little scratchy, but for an M nib to be scratchy and a consistent hard starter, that's a big no-no for the price.

Thank you for the insight, OP. I just saved and saved and bought the Homo Sapiens as my first grail pen, and it is both the most expensive and worst-writing pen I've ever had. I love the springiness of the palladium, but there is just no flow to the ink. I'm glad I'm not the only person to experience issues. I thought maybe I'd just gotten a very expensive dud.

Some people might consider it silly to be insulted at paying another $50 when purchasing a pen for hundreds, the same as balking over a shipping fee when ordering something expensive. But to me, if I need to engage the services of a talented, professional nibmeister, I expect to have done the breakage myself, or to be reversing wear and tear on an antique, not fixing a brand new pen.

However, I bought my HS from Dromgoole's and they have cheerfully assured me that the 1.3 mm stub that I purchased is quite prone to baby's bottom, that their resident nib tuner is there every Saturday, and that since I purchased the pen from them it will be adjusted at no additional cost on my end. I just need to make the trip back to Houston now. I do love Dromgoole's dedication to customer service.

I'm always up for an ink trade!

Every Visconti I own has written smooth as butter out of the box. I'm just very lucky in this regard. A bad nib on a 600 dollar pen really bother me.

888007888 related about his HS:

"Then one day it blobbed a huge spot of black ink onto a letter just as I was finishing the page. It completely ruined the entire letter and I had to rewrite the note with a new sheet of paper and a different pen."

Actually this is a little-appreciated feature of the HS model line. A small optical scanner concealed in the feed continuously monitors the surface of the paper as you prepare a document. If it detects a poor choice of paper, or errors in spelling, grammar, or calligraphy, it drops a blob of ink at the end of the document to remind you to make a fair copy. Thus the pen automatically stands in for the elementary-school teacher who is no longer able to strike you on the back of the hand and tell you to write it over. A remarkable feat of engineering, really.

ron