Dating A Pelikan M1050

pen tom

I have a Pelikan 1000 series demonstrator with platinum nib and hardware. So I'm told that makes it a 1050. The xx5x being the platinum designation. I guess.

I bought it at my first pen show that ever attended. The Washington DC show, 2 shows ago. I bought it from a British vendor who I greatly admire.

I was wondering when these demonstrators were made.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen tom

• Doug1426

• sargetalon

• zaddick

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a 1005, not 1050. Ending in 5 is rhodium finish, where as 50 means a gold cap.

I think they are about 5 years old. Can't recall at this moment.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

According to Dominic Rothemel's excellent site, the 1005 was produced in 2011. His site contains a wealth of technical data for Pelikan instruments. Here is the link to his page for the 1xxx Souveran Series:

https://www.pelikan-collectibles.com/en/Pelikan/Models/Souveraen-Series/M1000-Basis/index.html

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

According to Dominic Rothemel's excellent site, the 1005 was produced in 2011. His site contains a wealth of technical data for Pelikan instruments. Here is the link to his page for the 1xxx Souveran Series:

https://www.pelikan-collectibles.com/en/Pelikan/Models/Souveraen-Series/M1000-Basis/index.html

Thank you very much Doug. That is a wonderfully complete site. I bookmarked the site

M1005 and 2011 are correct. I've been looking for one for a while but hard to find one at a good price today. Hope that you enjoy yours.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

M1005 and 2011 are correct. I've been looking for one for a while but hard to find one at a good price today. Hope that you enjoy yours.

I know. I've already had one nibmeister want to buy it from me. I feel fortunate. I bought it at the DC pen show, 2 shows ago

I looked for quite some time for an M1005 demonstrator, hoping to find one at a decent price. Last year I finally bit the bullet and spent close to 700 big ones for a 1005 demonstrator that is near mint. I felt pretty foolish at the time, paying that much. But the few I have seen this year almost make what I paid look like a deal.

OTOH, I saw that John Mottishaw is offering new 805 demonstrators at just under $500 if anyone is looking for one of those pens. The 805 demonstrators must have been made in larger quantities. (No affiliation with nibs.com, on my part, other than being a satisfied customer)

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

I looked for quite some time for an M1005 demonstrator, hoping to find one at a decent price. Last year I finally bit the bullet and spent close to 700 big ones for a 1005 demonstrator that is near mint. I felt pretty foolish at the time, paying that much. But the few I have seen this year almost make what I paid look like a deal.

OTOH, I saw that John Mottishaw is offering new 805 demonstrators at just under $500 if anyone is looking for one of those pens. The 805 demonstrators must have been made in larger quantities. (No affiliation with nibs.com, on my part, other than being a satisfied customer)

Yes, I think that the "at a good price" part is the sticking point.

I paid even more than you did and it is also mint condition.

If one stockpiles money such pens can be had much cheaper in the next coming Depression. Just like the last one, where silver P-75's went from $225 to $75.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.