Hero 616 Doctor

suman5492

I have bought two hero 616 doctor. Recently little amount of ink is seeping from the part where the metal ring is there in the upper half of the pen in the gripping area.I don't want to seal that part permanently because I will disassembly each and every part of the pen for cleaning every month. How to block the ink leaking?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• suman5492

• displacermoose

• Mech-for-i

• Sasha Royale

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the 616 section are design to be sealed so not sealing it is bound to induce leakage. But if you insist then a liberal and well placed amount of good fine silicone grease the paste type on all the mating thread should be doing the job. You may need to check though if the leak come from elsewhere

A monthly clean-water flush is sufficient maintenance, if you are using fountain pen ink only. The HERO 616 cap is removed by pulling, exposing the nib. The barrel is removed by unscrewing, exposing the squeeze fill mechanism. It is not intended that the pen be further disassembled. You nay, of course, if you choose, but your pen will leak ink.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I've fixed that problem with silicon greese, but shellac has the advantage of not accidentally unscrewing.

Yet another Sarah.

Hello Sarah, can you tell me where will I get shellac or silicon grease? I mean which store sells this kind of items? I have no idea. There was some kind of white thing present in the threads of the hood which I removed earlier. Was that shellac or silicone grease?

This is an off topic question here but I really need to know. I am willing to buy a green hero 336, but it has a metal ring like at the bottom. Now since that's not silver, a bit golden type instead, will the color fade away? This is one of the reasons I don't prefer to buy the hero pens with golden cap and metal at the bottom tip.

Here's the link -

http://www.ebay.in/itm/HERO-336-fountain-pen-GREEN-GOLD-TIP-/152365498063?_trksid=p2059707.m48543.l9013

Hello Sarah, can you tell me where will I get shellac or silicon grease? I mean which store sells this kind of items? I have no idea. There was some kind of white thing present in the threads of the hood which I removed earlier. Was that shellac or silicone grease?

Hero tends to use some sort of white rubbery sealant for the thread between the hood and connector. Silicone grease is a paste, shellac is a hard natural polymer which has to be dissolved in alcohol, making it a sealant whose bond can be broken either by heat or solvent, making it very suitable for pen repair.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Woodworking supply tend to stock Shellac, you would want the de-waxed type , you'll also need pure alcohol for dissolving it. Some store sell ready mixed shellac, but beware, shellac dissolved with alcohol had a pretty short shelf life. If you intend on using silicone grease, then look for food grade ( PURE ) silicone grease that would be a very thick white paste and generally you can pick these up at Jewellery / watch repair. Those sold in scuba diving and underwater gear supply might suffice but generally of lesser quality. Take some time researching your local suply, if anything else, they can be bought online alright

Any of the pen retailers sell silicone grease, and I got my supply of shellac on the stain aisle at Home Depot. For what it's worth, the pint I bought 3 years ago is still totally fine. $5 gets you a lifetime supply.

ETA: I've been told that the wax ring used to seal the base of a commode will also work, but I've not tried it myself.

Edited by displacermoose

Yet another Sarah.