Help Understanding Omas Models

mauckcg

I have snagged my first Omas. In this case a Pearl Grey Paragon style pen. To be honest, a large part of the purchase was the celluloid rod that came with it. I know it is a Paragon style pen.

In my googling, there is the Paragon, the Milord, and the Arte Italiano. I haven't found the dimension differences between the Milord and Paragon, and the Arte Italiano seems to be a throwback or limited edition. Doe you guys know of a site with more detail or have some detail you could share with me? Thanks.

fpn_1492559491__paragon.jpg

fpn_1492559508__celluloid.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mauckcg

• jar

• FriendAmos

• Tinjapan

Good luck. Omas naming is a moving target.

Generally the largest at a given time was the Paragon or Gentleman or 557F. Actual sizes depended on material and era.

The next smaller faceted models were the Milords.

Next came the Dama and the smallest was a Princess.

In my googling, there is the Paragon, the Milord, and the Arte Italiano.

Not exactly like that. OMAS used "Arte Italiana" to refer to any 12-sided instrument. That's pretty much the Paragon and Milord in all different versions---classic, vintage, modern, new vintage, special, icon, ..., whatever. You can get some idea if you go here

http://www.omas.com/creations-boutique/

and follow the "Arte Italiana" links:

Somwhere on the website---I can't recall where---there is an explanation of what "Arte Italiana" means for OMAS.

If your pen is around 14cm, it's a Paragon; if 1cm or so shorter it's a Milord. Either way, it's Arte Italiana.

Edited by FriendAmos

Not exactly like that. OMAS used "Arte Italiana" to refer to any 12-sided instrument. That's pretty much the Paragon and Milord in all different versions---classic, vintage, modern, new vintage, icon, and whatever. You can get some idea if you go here and follow the "Arte Italiana" links:

http://www.omas.com/creations-boutique/

Somwhere on the website---I can't recall where---there is an explanation of what "Arte Italiana" means for OMAS.

If your pen is around 14cm, it's a Paragon; if 1cm or so shorter it's a Milord. Either way, it's Arte Italiana.

If I had known this would be worse than trying to decipher Sig Sauers lineup, i may not have bought it. :P

My first OMAS was advertised as a Paragon so I expected a large pen. It ended up being a new vintage type thing and a smaller size, similar to one of my modern milords. All in all very confusing.

My first OMAS was advertised as a Paragon so I expected a large pen. It ended up being a new vintage type thing and a smaller size, similar to one of my modern milords. All in all very confusing.

Actually the modern Milord is far larger than the older style Paragon.

Starting with the burgundy old style Milord and moving right:

Milord, Paragon, Modern Milord

http://www.fototime.com/368F86F721487D0/large.jpg

Actually the modern Milord is far larger than the older style Paragon.

Even more evidence I don't know what I'm talking about.

I have a pen in Saft Green that looks like yours, same cap band, section & two toned nib. It has "1992" on the rounded section (in line with the arrow engraving on the nib above it,) immediately below the threads & "OMAS Extra" on the body of the pen. It has faceted sides & measures 5 1/2 inches, which converts to 13.97 cm, so pretty close to 14. The "Extra" has always thrown me, because I don't have a clue what it means; I always considered it an earlier Paragon & hence smaller than the more recently produced ones. Perhaps it is a Milord & I don't know, either?

There is also the Ogiva style, which has rounded ends and smooth round body (compared with the facets and flatter ends of the Paragon/Milord/etc styles). And of course there's the 360 as well. The blue pen second-from-the-left in JAR's picture shows rather a pretty example.

I have an old (smaller) version in that shape with a beautiful nib that has "extra" on the barrel.

There is also the Ogiva style, which has rounded ends and smooth round body (compared with the facets and flatter ends of the Paragon/Milord/etc styles). And of course there's the 360 as well. The blue pen second-from-the-left in JAR's picture shows rather a pretty example.

I have an old (smaller) version in that shape with a beautiful nib that has "extra" on the barrel.

Bit easier to decipher those than the Paragon style pens.

I think extra denotes facets

Except when it doesn't as on the Ogivas in the picture above. They say "Omas Extra".

Also on the body of a 620

http://www.fototime.com/69F4A32C1F19BA2/medium800.jpg

Edited by jar

That looks like the recent Omas Dama in grey that came out about two years ago, but I'm no Omas expert and just guessing its size, so hopefully others will chime in. Knowing the size would help. It also depends on how old or new the pen is, since I believe the naming and Milord changed sizes over time (as you can see in Jar's picture).

Edited by oregano

Long long ago and in a land far far away I owned quite a few Alfa Romeos. Often the very same model came with Weber or Dell' Orto carbs and with either Worm & Roller or Recirculating Ball rack and pinon steering. What shocks were on a given car was also always a surprise. The Owners Manual told you that these were all possibilities and instructed you to look to determine which were on your car. Of course it did not tell you how to identify any of them.

Omas is Classic Italian as was Alfa Romeo.

That looks like the recent Omas Dama in grey that came out about two years ago, but I'm no Omas expert and just guessing its size, so hopefully others will chime in. Knowing the size would help. It also depends on how old or new the pen is, since I believe the naming and Milord changed sizes over time (as you can see in Jar's picture).

Indeed, it does. The link I gave above leads to the (New) Vintage Arte Italiana Damas:

http://www.omas.com/creations-boutique/arte-italiana/dama-o09l0005/

The length is given as 11.9cm, so the OP can measure his and compare.

I don't recall a Milord ever being issued in that celluloid, but, of course, I could be wrong in assuming that none was.

Edited by FriendAmos

Indeed, it does. The link I gave above leads to the (New) Vintage Arte Italiana Damas:

http://www.omas.com/creations-boutique/arte-italiana/dama-o09l0005/

The length is given as 11.9cm, so the OP can measure his and compare.

I don't recall a Milord ever being issued in that celluloid, but, of course, I could be wrong in assuming that none was.

5.5 Inches and no rose Gold. No markings on it other than Omas Italy.

5.5 Inches and no rose Gold. No markings on it other than Omas Italy.

In that case, it's definitely a Paragon. Specifically, it was issued in 1992, in what I believe was the first round of OMAS "Vintages", as a Limited Edition Vintage Paragon--Arte Italiana, of course!---based on a pen that was first issued in 1932. I don't know how many OMAS produced, but it is very rare to ever see one come up for sale anywhere; you are a very luck fellow/"fellee".

The comments by Michael R. and eric47 on the thread below might also be of interest to you.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/149018-old-style-omas-recreation/page-4

Also take a look at this:

https://www.nibs.com/pens/pre-owned-omas-extra-grey-pearl

Edited by FriendAmos

I thought that the Paragons had metal sections while the Milords had sections of the same material as the barrel?

I thought that the Paragons had metal sections while the Milords had sections of the same material as the barrel?

Those are the "new" models, post about 2005. However, until the very end Omas also made new Paragons with the pre 2005 form factor so I say new in quotation marks.

Those "new" models are also a lot larger than thr older form factor so that a new Milord is larger than the old style Paragon.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

In that case, it's definitely a Paragon. Specifically, it was issued in 1992, in what I believe was the first round of OMAS "Vintages", as a Limited Edition Vintage Paragon--Arte Italiana, of course!---based on a pen that was first issued in 1932. I don't know how many OMAS produced, but it is very rare to ever see one come up for sale anywhere; you are a very luck fellow/"fellee".

The comments by Michael R. and eric47 on the thread below might also be of interest to you.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/149018-old-style-omas-recreation/page-4

Also take a look at this:

https://www.nibs.com/pens/pre-owned-omas-extra-grey-pearl

So i don't have a first run but a 93ish or later when the pearl grey became what it is now. Interesting.

That thread link kind of makes Omas sound like an old Italian company that just did random things because. Makes a bit more sense why i can't find much hard information on what was produced when in what form.