The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Three Pens: Signing Documents, Workhorse, Everyday Carry

signing documents workhorse everyday carry edc montblanc faber-castell pelikan graf von faber-castell

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,721 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 22:25

Parker 51 Aerometric or Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial.  Commonly today they want you to use a blue ballpoint.  Again, Parker 51 click top or Sheaffer Imperial clip clicker.  I am starting to back away from all the foreign pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

Sponsored Content

#22 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 15:27

An interesting question. For a signature I find myself reaching for a Medium or Broad nib if it's something official. Also, one wants a pen that's not likely to skip. The choice would be the Doric ringtop with the sliderless Adjustable nib.

Otherwise, I write with whatever I selected to wear. Sadly, I find myself having to revert to the noisome ballpoint or stylus for credit card slips, which are made of terrible paper. And duplicate checks require pressure.

Has anyone had to redesign their signature for the fountain pen? My stylus glyph doesn't work so it's back to the drawing board.

#23 NinthSphere

NinthSphere

Made in Cognito

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 16:30

Has anyone had to redesign their signature for the fountain pen? My stylus glyph doesn't work so it's back to the drawing board.

My signature reverted back to being legible rather than a mess, if you want to count that as a redesign. :lticaptd:

#24 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,484 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 18:44

Legible counts, but I give points for attractive. My credit card signature doesn't work so well with a fountain pen, so I must find something more conducive.

#25 D.C. in PA

D.C. in PA

DC in PA

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 20:23

Prior to retiring I had to sign agreements and payment authorizations that accumulated to a folder three inches thick (some days)
and always included state documents that required blue ink. My preference was for a medium stub (helped my signature look like something
other than a three-year-old's play time). The ultimate for this job was the Binder/Bexley/Broadwell Pharaoh limited edition. But
other stubs did the job well also.

Everyday use extends to any of my pens - mostly vintage, some more modern. All have passed the 'user' test.

Carry pens? My notebooks house Lamy Safaris. Tough, reliable, customizable via nib switches. If one gets lost I lament, but do
not feel crushed - replacements are not primo cost.

D.C.
D.C. in PA - Always bitin' off more than I can chew.

#26 RRE

RRE

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 22:51

Hi. Great question. I usually bring a couple pens everyday. Well a couple here being 3 - 10 pens. That being said ....
1) Documents: My Pilot 823 fine
2 and 3) are pretty much the same for me. Reform 1745, a Preppy, anything Lamy Safari type, something trusty but won't be too bad if I drop it. Regards, Ron

#27 noddle

noddle

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 23:59

As I'm currently infatuated with all things CONID, my fantasy choice would be:

Signature:   Conid Blue Pearl FPN Limited Edition with Broad nib. A gorgeous pen for special occasions.

Workhorse: Conid Kingsize Bulkfiller in black ebonite with Fine nib. Huge ink capacity and light for long writing sessions.

Carry:          Conid CAISO demonstrator with Medium nib. Bombproof and designed for travel (at any altitude)!

My fantasy will start to become a reality very soon, as I recently sold my Danitrio and can now afford one of the above. Not sure which one yet, probably the workhorse first.

Edited by noddle, 21 April 2017 - 00:05.

Pens: Omas Paragon Ludovico Einaudi  +  Conid Kingsize Bulkfiller

Inks:  KWZ Dark Brown    /   Noodler's El Lawrence, Prime of the Commons, Black Swan in English Roses    /    J.Herbin Cacao du Bresil

#28 Call_me_Tom

Call_me_Tom

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:29

I use Noodler's Black & Blue Eel inks which covers #1 for me. #2 would be my Lamy 2000 and #3 my Palikan M805.

#29 tinto

tinto

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2017 - 15:58

I have recently set a three pen everyday carry selection:

1. Signing documents. Pelikan M205 Aquamarine, M nib, with Pelikan 4001 blue black. My most recent acquisition. I used to sign with any pen I had close to me until some weeks ago, when I had to sign books. All I had with me was my on person pen, equipped with a thin and dry EF point. Shame. So far now I'm happy with this pen, and using it for many more things other than signing (still trying to get used to a broader nib). A round nib makes sense to me since it is easier to put ink on the paper fastly.

2. Workhorse for everyday use. Lamy 2000, F nib, with Edelstein Aquamarine. A thin line, perhaps drier than my preference, but does very well with cheap copy paper. The pen itself is very comfortable, can store lots of ink and is not flashy. Used for long writing sessions (drafts, marking assignments).

3. On person, everyday carry. Lamy Safari Charcoal, EF nib, with J. Herbin Perle Noir. This has been the only fountain pen that I carry in my pant's front pocket since early 2013. Not a single issue yet! Used mostly to write on my calendar and for several short writing a day. The ink is a true black to my eyes, wet enough to flow freely with this nib. I used to load this pen with any ink, but it happened that I had J. Herbin Rose Cyclamen (love that ink) when I had to fill two pages with a handwritten report during a master student final exam. Looked a little weird. That's the reason why I only will use 'serious' inks here.

#30 Abner C. Kemp

Abner C. Kemp

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:22

I tried sticking to similar parameters when I started collecting. At this point, the answer is, whatever I feel like writing with. There are some obvious exceptions -- I'm not going to sign an important document in orange ink or write a paragraph with a fude nib -- but within reason I just use whatever springs my fancy.

That said, if I had to choose:

1. Pelikan M400 Tortoise -- I just like the look of this pen and it has a stubbish medium nib that makes my signature look half decent. 

2. Lamy 2000 -- Pen is nearly indestructible, grip section is very comfortable for me, nice ink window, smooth hooded nib, enough heft to keep my hand flowing. 

3. Montblanc 146 Platinum -- It's a pen that goes well with a suit and one of the best writers in my collection. Assuming the white star was a bit too much -- a Pilot Custom 74 Smoke. 

Edited by Abner C. Kemp, 26 April 2017 - 01:24.

#31 loudkenny

loudkenny

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:13

That's easy for me...

Blue/blue Lapis or Moderne Black and Pearl Senior Duofold for signing, 1940 Azure Blue DJ Vac for everyday, 1947? Cedar Blue Vac 51 for everyday carry

#32 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 10,007 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:23

Parker 51, Parker 75 and Parker 45 for all kinds of uses.
Khan

#33 penman1914

penman1914

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 23:51

For signatures, I would use a Mont Blanc 149 filled with MB blue!
I like my Sailor Realo .6mm stub with MB black or Aurora black for general writing.
For everyday carry, it would be a Sailor 1911 midi, or a Pilot custom 91 with Aurora black

#34 bemon

bemon

Brent

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2017 - 15:35

1) Signing documents:

Pelikan M600. If it's a very special occasion I like to ink up my Montblanc Classique to feel fancy, but honestly the P6 is a better performer for less money. 

2) Workhorse for everyday use:

It's tough to dispute the Pilot VP's place as jotter to the stars, but beyond that I enjoy my Lamy 2000 as a pen I can settle into longer form writing with. It's tricky to find that sweet spot even with the medium, but when I do the high ink capacity and light weight design make for a great marathon writer.  

3) On person:

A) I carry a Parker Duofold rollerball tucked into my shirt everyday at work. I have the fountain pen variant at home and love the nib design, but the rollerball comes in handier for loaning to someone for a signature or signing waybills etc.

I've stolen the spring out of a run of the mill office ball point and used it to rig the Parker Jotter gel refill the Duofold. With a spacer attached to the rear of the refill it fits nicely and is a great alternative to the unacceptable Parker roller ball cartridge. 

B) Weekends or evenings I just keep a plain old Fisher Space Pen ball point in my pocket. It's reliable, portable and at least from a cost perspective easily replaceable. Of course I did sign my daughters baptism certificate with it, so I'd be sad if I misplaced it. (We flew to get her baptized and I didn't want to take an expensive fountain pen.) 

#35 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 11,721 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2017 - 15:55

Montblanc 164R or Pelikan clicktop.  

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#36 dojocho

dojocho

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2017 - 17:03

Early 90's Duofold. Always.

Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe. Eadem Mutata Resurgo.

#37 AMarkAbove

AMarkAbove

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:13

Mont Blanc 146 in Broad for signing documents and the like
Lamy 2000 as a workhorse pen for long writing sessions.
Everyday carry is a Pelikan M205 in the pen loop of my Traveler's Notebook and a Franklin-Christoph Model 45 in my pocket.

#38 tgoto

tgoto

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:56

1): I use Montblanc 149 with broad nib (semi-flex) for signature.

2): Aurora Mare is my work horse pen.

3): Everyday carry pen will be either Parker 51 with fine nib, or Montblanc 144 with extra fine nib.
Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

#39 RogerRamjet

RogerRamjet

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:15

1) Cross Pearless 125 London Special Edition in Fine for signature.

2) Parker 51 with a fine nib for workhorse.

3) Lamy Studio or Accent with XF nib for carry.

Extra Point -  For Thank You notes: Parker Duofold International Pearl and Black with a fine nib using PR Chocolat.

#40 Bookman

Bookman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 2,007 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 13:42

1. Document-signer—I use whichever pen at the moment has the most line variation, usually: Waterman Phileas with a .7mm cursive italic nib.
  2. Workhorse/EDC around the office/house—All my pens do this job, but the one I use the most: Edison Collier.
  3. EDC while out and about—All my pens take their turns here, too, but the two I use the most these days: Esterbrook J (foliage green) and Parker 45.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: signing documents, workhorse, everyday carry, edc, montblanc, faber-castell, pelikan, graf von faber-castell

Sponsored Content

|