The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

New Esterbrook 1937 Pens

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 mikedealer

mikedealer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 13:26

Whats the deal with these new esterbrook pens, are they legit?  

Esterbrooks website makes no mention of them, Fahrneys sells them for $65, and then pensdirect sells them for $25 but it now here http://www.ebay.com/itm/272634375585

Ive never seen an actual picture of video of them, other than the 4 pens lined up, like not a single picture anywhere, and the official website not having any mention either seems high unusual to me? Has anyone ever held or used one, or have any actual pictures of the actual pens? I read in some youtube comment once that someone said they have visible threads showing from the outside of the cap and that turned them off to the pen..  Just wanted to see one and what they look like, other than a stock photo, seems like such a weird thing not to have any mention on their site. 

Attached Images

• s-l500.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 21:53

Unless they still come with the awesome box, I'd pass.

WAIT

I just checked, even with the box, I'd pass.  Which is OK, I'm banned by Esterbrook from buying one.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#3 bfg

bfg

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 22:51

I have one of their pens. They are pretty basic Chinese made pens. The thing that annoys me about them is they use the Esterbrook name but the pens have nothing whatever to do with the Esterbrook brand.

#4 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 00:04

The price drop is probably because they aren't selling well. There's apparently nothing "Esterbrook" about them except the label.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#5 escribo

escribo

Mr. Natural

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:24

Looks like they use IPG nibs instead of Esterbrook Renew nibs, defeating the whole idea of Esterbrooks.

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

#6 mikedealer

mikedealer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 14:54

i kinda got filled in on whole story there haha.  

Just curious what they look like, still never saw any person on any pen board anywhere ever post a picture of one other than stock photo.  I get the name is long gone, and the first releases are basically kit pens, just wondering how they write and look.  People have said customer service hasnt been acceptable, so little worried lol.

#7 benbot517

benbot517

A Dapper Chap

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 17:25

Unless they still come with the awesome box, I'd pass.

WAIT

I just checked, even with the box, I'd pass.  Which is OK, I'm banned by Esterbrook from buying one.

Woah, what do I have to do to get on the "Banned by (new) Esterbrook" club? Sounds like something I need to join!

"Oh deer."

#8 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 21:46

They look like those NOS Arnold pens. Pathetic excuse for the tried and true Jersey. I hope the brand won't suffer from more of this garbage.

"   H M M M . . .  I  l i k e s   i t !    "

#9 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 8,812 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:11

I was allowed to use a pen featured in a well publicized review and am yet unable to stop talking about the box.

There may have been a few other things I pointed out but this should really be about the best damn pen box on the market today.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#10 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:11

Nah. Those old Esterbrook pen boxes were boxes. they weren't made for a king - just for the working man... So in my humble opinion, the new Esterbrooks make for a great scapegoat and nothing else.dsc08686.jpg

#11 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 8,812 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:27

Nah. Those old Esterbrook pen boxes were boxes. they weren't made for a king - just for the working man... So in my humble opinion, the new Esterbrooks make for a great scapegoat and nothing else.dsc08686.jpg

But have you seen the box?

#12 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,069 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 15:12

I would be satisfied with a Jinhao x450 and an Esterbrook ball cap.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#13 SteveE

SteveE

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 15:46

i kinda got filled in on whole story there haha.  

Just curious what they look like, still never saw any person on any pen board anywhere ever post a picture of one other than stock photo.  I get the name is long gone, and the first releases are basically kit pens, just wondering how they write and look.  People have said customer service hasnt been acceptable, so little worried lol.

Considering the business history of the owner of the "new" Esterbrook company, I am not at all surprised that customer service is low on their priorities list.  I'll bet that dealer support is down there, too.  (Just look into the history of the modern Conklin Pen Co. in the few years prior to the Yafa acquisition of the brand.)

#14 mikedealer

mikedealer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 16:25

Considering the business history of the owner of the "new" Esterbrook company, I am not at all surprised that customer service is low on their priorities list.  I'll bet that dealer support is down there, too.  (Just look into the history of the modern Conklin Pen Co. in the few years prior to the Yafa acquisition of the brand.)

Thanks i will, been interesting reading what ive seen so far.  Im just amazed i cannot find any pictures of these pens on the internet anywhere.. does no one own one haha

#15 EHV

EHV

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 16:56

I saw this from Brian and Lisa awhile back.        Not the specific one you show in the pic but it was enough for me, even before researching and reading any further.    :unsure:

#16 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 17:44

If you want to see what I think is an excellent example of "reviving an old, respected fountain pen brand", check this out.

https://wahlevershar...ction.php?id=43

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#17 mikedealer

mikedealer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 19:48

thanks paul, ive seen and used the revived skylines and they are ok, never held/used a decoband model though, just little pricey for me with what i can get for a restored vintage pen with flex nib.

#18 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:39

But have you seen the box?

Sir Yessir I own the box. It has an NOS M2 in it. Made in the US of A.

#19 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 8,812 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:08

Sir Yessir I own the box. It has an NOS M2 in it. Made in the US of A.

Skip to 3:14 in the video above and repeat after Lisa.

#20 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 21:44

Nice try. But I still think that the American boxes are better. (I know its "the thing", but I humbly digress.)

The mam in the video says "I like the box a lot..." - but she never said she loved it. She didn't even call it fantastic or phenomenal - she just liked it. I love the old Esterbrook boxes, 'cause you know that the guys in Jersey made pens for a living - not boxes.

Sponsored Content

|