Gifting New People Fountai Pens

Zeeppo

I have another question that I would like to pose to the site.

What pen and ink would you give to a person that has never used a fountain pen? Would you give a different pen and ink to a young person than you would to an adult?

Currently I give a Nemosine Singularity and a bottle of Noodler's Bay State Blue. I usually include a o ring and some silicon grease to make it an eye dropper. the pen does come with a converter.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• pajaro

• ac12

• ParkerDuofold

Hi Zeeppo,

Actually, the Nemosine Singularity is a GREAT first pen, (I have three and like them a lot), but BSB is the ABSOLUTE LAST ink I would ever give to a neophyte. Give them Diamine blue-black... it's a unique color that'll pique their interest more than a basic blue like WM Serenity Blue or the like. (And BSB doesnt look that much different from a blue Sharpie - give them a more unique color). ;)

Diamine Blue-Black or Asa Blue are both stand-out colors that are also very well behaved and easily cleaned.

The ED conversion idea could go either way... it could draw them in or it could scare them off... that one you have to determine on a case by case basis. :)

Good job, though; at least you're trying to get more suckers.... I mean enthusiasts. :D

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I'd go for something that is relatively easy to get cartridges for.

If you ar elooking to spend less that £20

The new Parker jotters look quite classy. The Pelikan Stola III is plain, but a nice writer and takes international cartridges.

If you want to spend a bit more, the Faber Castell Loom is one I have gifted and that nib gets so many compliments.

I would go Jinhao, Hero, or the like.

I've actually given a 750, a Hero 616, & a Sheaffer Nononsense calligraphy set w/converter. Depends on the recipient rather than age. Something I know to be good quality, but low cost.

I went with a Pilot Metropolitan and and a Platinum Plaisir for a friend who was showing interest - not expensive but not cheap and nasty.

I buy Jinhao x450 fountain pens at every opportunity. I currently have about ten. I maintain this inventory for this exact reason. Average price is $1.25 . It is a tough pen, that gives a good writing experience. The recipient can grow from there, or abandon it in a draw. No hard feelings. I consider it an invitation, rather than an obligation.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

First these are my criteria for a give-away pen:

• #1 - It has to work when you give it to them. If they go to use it, and it does not work, they get a bad impression. IOW if the nib needs adjusting, YOU adjust the nib.
  • #2 - Ease of refill. For most people a cartridge pen is the preferred method. They want easy, fast and NOT messy.
    This past Christmas, NONE of the people that I gave fountain pens to wanted to use an ink bottle. Every person wanted cartridge ink. This means forget anything that is potentially messy. In my book, that means forget eyedropers and especially Baystate inks.
  • #3 - It has to be affordable to me. Since I will be giving several/many away, it has to be low in cost, yet still look good.
  • Now to the specifics of the pen.
    • For an adult, I give them a Baoer 388 or 801 in black+GT or Stainless+GT. (GT=Gold Trim)
      • The B-388 looks like a Parker Sonnet, so it looks like a $100 pen, despite being a quite low cost pen.
    • For a younger person, I give them a Jinhao 599.
    • The actual pen will change depending on what I find in the market that might be appropriate for the recipeient. Example the Jinhao 599 came into the picture after I learned about it. Similarly if I find a new pen, it may be added to my list or it may replace a pen that is currently on my list.
      • Other pens that I would consider:
        • Lamy: Safari, Vista
        • Parker: 45.
        • Pilot: Metropolitan
        • TWSBI: Eco
    • For a special person, the selection of the pen changes, as then the selection of the pen becomes specific to that person. It could be an inexpensive pen, or it could be a more expensive pen.
Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I do Jinhao X750s, however I first check them out before handing over, and give them a fill of ink to get them started (normally Lamy black)

Just to add my extra 2 cents... the Nemosine Singularity is a THREE IN ONE pen... it accepts international cartridges; includes a converter and can also be made into an ED if the beneficiary decides they'd like to try that down the road. :D

Also, Diamine blue-black is available in cartridges. :)

- Anthony

As dapprman said, I also give them the pen with it a cartridge of blue ink installed and inked, ready to immediately start to write.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Hi Zeeppo,

Actually, the Nemosine Singularity is a GREAT first pen...

- Anthony

That would be my choice except with a Noodler's Ahab nib ($5.00 add on fee)

That pen is the most fun per dollar I've had so far.

(I'd get the clear demonstrator also)

So far as ink goes...

I'd get them a sample pack to play with.

Edited by Bordeaux146

BSB....in your pen only.....and not in my house....mottled blue in not a IN as a bathroom sink. :unsure:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I might give a Parker 51 and a bottle of Sheaffer blue black. They wouldn't have any trouble with the pen or the ink.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

For a young person, I have usually given a Pilot Metropolitan, with a bottle of ink in the person's favorite color.

As for adults, in recent years I gave a close friend a Parker 45 and let him choose the ink from samples. I gave my sister a Parker 21 with a bottle of Rohrer and Klingner Verdigris.

For me I try to match the pen to the person and their comfort level with fountain pens. I've gifted JinHao 450, 159, P-21, Sheaffer, even a TWSBI Vac Mini. Like AC12 and others, i tune the nibs and include ink to get them started.

I think everyone is overthinking and overspending on this. I wouldn't get a refillable fountain pen at all, and cursing an inexperienced FP user with BSB seems like a sure way to prevent them from ever taking up the hobby; those stained fingers from first filling will dissuade them from ever being willing to give it a serious go.

Instead, I'd give someone 2-3 Pilot Varsity disposables. Color would depend on the person; a professional adult I'd give blue or black, but a younger person who may have the freedom to use other colors may appreciate something different; the purple is quite excellent.

My rationale is that the disposable pens work out of the box, are easy and fuss free, giving the person to learn and experience writing with a fountain pen without all the hassle of refilling. If they get bitten by the bug, the refilling and bottles of ink will come, but if they aren't able to remember to recap a pen, or they're too ham fisted to use anything but a ballpoint, you didn't just spend $30 (or $50+ with the P 51 recommendation) that ends up in someone's garbage. Save the Jinhaos and bottled ink for a gift once they show interest.

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

Save the Jinhaos and bottled ink for a gift once they show interest.

I wouldn't personally give a fountain pen to someone who hadn't shown some interest though & refilling is part of the deal with any non-disposable, fountain pen or otherwise. If not with a bottle, then with carts. In each case with the Jinhaos or the Sheaffer set, it was the design or the nibs that the recipients expressed interest in, which wouldn't have been satisfied with a disposable,. All the same, you're not out of pocket much if they decide it isn't something they want to pursue.

My rules for gifting pens: I never give a pen to someone who asks for one.

I don't gift fountain pens to people i casually know. I take the time to listen and learn about them first.

Most people I've gifted pens to, are still using fountain pens and have stayed in touch.