Travelling With Your Pen

Shybiker

Most of you probably keep your pens at home or in an office. I, however, travel a lot -- and always by motorcycle. I make frequent long trips on two wheels. I recently found a great solution to staying organized -- and protect my new Montblanc pen -- while doing so.

When I ride my motorcycle on trips, I carry a backpack filled with a notepad, pen, papers (e.g., hotel reservations) and maps. My papers tend to get all messed up in the bag because things get shaken on a vibrating motorcycle. I realized some organization would help so I recently made a big improvement -- I bought a leather folio from Levenger, a company that makes beautiful stuff. The folio solves all my problems. It fits neatly inside my backpack, has a built-in notepad of high-quality paper and several pockets for papers and maps. Best of all, it has a pen-holder and zips closed. That protects my pen and keeps me from losing it. If the pen was loose in my backpack, I'd be sure to misplace or drop it, but locked into its special holder inside a zippered folio, it'll never be loose and vulnerable.
The folio organizes my stuff and keeps it safe while jostling about. I had my name embossed on the leather folio so it looks nice too.
How do you carry your stuff when travelling?

post-136109-0-67311700-1492380190_thumb.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shybiker

• JayHomeBody

• inkypete

• NinthSphere

I have a handmade purse I carry, and I usually have my notebook/journal, my pen, and a little accessory case with me. I tuck the strap of the journal in a way that allows me to clip my pen onto it. And I keep a couple pages of stationery, a couple envelopes, a couple stamps tucked in the back pocket of the journal. The case holds a syringe for cleaning/refilling, a couple q-tips, an empty cartridge, an empty converter, a vial of ink, a lighter, a gold wax stick, a silver wax stick, and my wax stamp.

post-135165-0-48943600-1492383067_thumb.jpg

I am the tarot reading, bookworm, whiskey drinking, witchcraft practicing, old fashioned writing, aunt Beasty in my family and I love it. Tarot readings for sale or trade, especially ink as I've lost all of my pen stuff from a bad burglary last year. And I need penpals! Anyone interested, please PM me!

For what ever reason my picture is upside down. But here here goes.

post-135625-0-25842700-1492392298_thumb.jpg

This is one of my notebooks. The burgundy thing on the bottom is a Moleskine ball point pen shell that has been re-purposed as an ink storage device. It is two refills of a Charlie Eye Dropper or Nemosine Singularity in Eye Dropper mode.

There is a Moleskine highlight pencil clipped on the cover as well. In the pen pocket on the side is either a Charlie or Singularity.

On top is a a Pilot Varsity that is held in place with varsity cap that is stuck to the back cover.

I have an extra pocket inside for three by five cards and stamps. In the back pocket are envelopes, some post its and other odds and ends.

This arrangement fits nicely in my suit case or what ever else I am carrying.

Edited by Zeeppo

I travel a great deal and I don't generally check a bag, but carry on . I carry two 5-pen zippered pen cases for my "traveling" fountain pens. For my journal and my working notebook, I use a Traveler's Notebook (regular size - not passport) with 3 inserts - two for client business, one for my journal. These fit nicely in my Rimowa rolling briefcase along with my battery pack, portable projector, portable scanner and other peripherals. My 13" laptop and quart size liquid bag fit nicely in the front compartment. This is my "computer or personal" luggage and fits under the seat in front of me. I also then carry a Rimowa rolling carry on with my clothes, etc., which goes in the overhead bin.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I carry Nock Co. cases in my coat pockets. Primary edc pens, a Rhodia no. 12 dot pad, & a handful of other stuff in a Hightower bifold. Additional pens in Lookout 3 pen cases. Mech pencils, a retractable eraser, & lead in an out of production 3 pen + 2 pocket bifold I forget the name of. Notebooks, typically a Rhodia no.16 dot pad & a no. 18 or spiral lined pad, go in a backpack.

http://pre07.deviantart.net/d0d8/th/pre/f/2017/009/3/0/inked_2017_by_voidelemental-daut5vg.jpg

I carry Nock Co. cases in my coat pockets. Primary edc pens, a Rhodia no. 12 dot pad, & a handful of other stuff in a Hightower bifold. Additional pens in Lookout 3 pen cases. Mech pencils, a retractable eraser, & lead in an out of production 3 pen + 2 pocket bifold I forget the name of. Notebooks, typically a Rhodia no.16 dot pad & a no. 18 or spiral lined pad, go in a backpack.

http://pre07.deviantart.net/d0d8/th/pre/f/2017/009/3/0/inked_2017_by_voidelemental-daut5vg.jpg

I'm a reasonably new Nock user and love their cases. Find them perfect for my man bag, brief case etc.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I love these great responses! So informative about the options available. I haven't seen this subject discussed previously despite searching for it. Thanks everyone.

....The burgundy thing on the bottom is a Moleskine ball point pen shell that has been re-purposed as an ink storage device. It is two refills of a Charlie Eye Dropper or Nemosine Singularity in Eye Dropper mode.

Could you show how you re-purposed the penshell? That sounds so cool and I'd live to see how you did it. :)

I am the tarot reading, bookworm, whiskey drinking, witchcraft practicing, old fashioned writing, aunt Beasty in my family and I love it. Tarot readings for sale or trade, especially ink as I've lost all of my pen stuff from a bad burglary last year. And I need penpals! Anyone interested, please PM me!

Hi Shybiker,

It is nice to meet another motorcycle-and-pen enthusiast. I am usually in a car these days, since our large dog travels with us, but have logged many miles on long motorcycle trips. Currently, I am carrying a hand-made pen roll (4 slots, but accommodates about 6 pens) that was a gift in the pay-it-forward thread and is a beautiful, useful wrap. I keep that in my purse and have another bag for notebooks, work items, sheet music, books, etc.

I wonder what answers you'd find if you post the same question on Adventure Rider ...

I travel extensively for work and it usually involves a flight or two. I don't carry my fountain pens with me but I do carry a ton of other stuff in my backpack (Mission Workshop).... Most notably my Pelikan K800 ballpoint and D800 pencil. I also carry a Levenger tablet cover (but not the one you show) also with my monogram. I use the same paper you show in your pic. (I do hate that it doesn't tear neatly tho) I also carry a "pocket desk" with a supply of 3x5 cards (also Levenger) for notes on the go. My notebook is currently a Black n Red stitched binding that i use when sitting at a "real" desk. (I hate wire ring notebooks and they are a PIA to get in and out if a full backpack)

Edited by MHBru

It depends on how many pens I have with me at any given time. If it's just two or three, I have a leather pen case from Parker that I can generally get three pens into if they aren't too big in diameter. I also have a 2 pen zipper case that I got last summer at the Triangle Pen Show from the Toys in the Attic table; both of those cases go in my purse, also I can't always get them to stay upright.

For times when I need to bring a larger number of pens, I have a crocheted pen wrap made for me by FPN member Helen350 in a gift exchange a couple of years ago which holds seven pens. I also have a re-purposed Thinkpad case with a velcro closure, which I bought for $3 at a silent auction awhile back -- it is the perfect size to fit 8-10 pens, although I have to be a bit careful in where some of them go because the edging is a bit too thick for some pen clips. The wrap and the Thinkpad case are too large to go in my purse, but I often carry a woven basket (especially if I'm at something like a pen show) and those go in the basket along with notebooks and needlework projects.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My platinum, pilots, sailors, noodlers, Schaefer et al get put in a pencil case. If it looks like rain my sketchbook goes into a plastic bag. Everything goes into a back pack or canvas tote.

I love all these responses! You guys have some great ideas. It's nice to see what others are doing to transport their beloved pens.

This weekend I took my new MB pen and leather folio on their inaugural voyage. We rode together on my motorcycle (BMW K1600GTL) up north to Hudson, NY (near Albany). They performed admirably during the 300-mile journey and I felt happier having them with me. Used them constantly during the trip.

• 1 month later...

I keep my pens in Princ Leather pouches. They are made in Serbia and cost less than 10 euros.

They look like this.

15940560_10211982915390700_5677523153381

18555931_10213376649913192_6552823950458

Edited by Vegeta

Just returned from a trip, and able to carry my FPs in my purse, or rolling computer bag compartment. When traveling by plane I use this pen caddy.

The 2nd snap is the pen caddy I made on my knitting machine to carry up to 12 pens. I use this one at home for the pens I have currently in use, or when taking a trip by car.

fpn_1495940149__pencarryingcase.jpg

fpn_1496003213__pencaddy.jpg

post-50794-0-68411200-1306793340.jpg

Not my pic but this is what I use. MB 3 pen pouch with a 146 platinum extra fine, 146 platinum rollerball and gold document marker. Nice holder.

Everyday I use a penroll from Pentaloons, with about 5 or 6 pens in (depending on the pen size/value), when travelling for work I use a 2 pen Franklin-Christoph Penelope case and generally take just my MB 146 and the FC 02.

post-122072-0-17776700-1490265265.jpg