The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Help Identifying Green-Stripe White-Dot Sheaffer

sheaffer help identification two-tone nib white-dot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mojibacha

Mojibacha

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 20:22

Hello! I bought a Sheaffer just today at an antique market, for $40 CAD. I have no idea what model it is, and how to fill or restore it. 

Here a description on what I can find/see so far:

There's a white dot on top of the clip, and a gold jeweller's band on the cap

Pen is made out of green-striped plastic (is it celluloid or just rubber?)

A two-tone nib with a heart-ish breather hole that says "Sheaffer's Made in Canada 14K-585"

Writing on the barrel says "W.A. Sheaffer Pen Co. (Of Canada LTD) Malton, Ont. Made in Canada"

The back/end tip can be unscrewed, but it can only be extended a very short distance.

I thought at first it was a snorkel, but there's no metal tube elongating out of it so now I have no idea what it is.

Here's a few pics:

IMG_0119.JPG IMG_0120.JPG IMG_0122.JPG IMG_0123.JPG

Edited by Mojibacha, 16 April 2017 - 20:25.

Sponsored Content

#2 CraigN

CraigN

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 22:01

Mojibacha,

This pen looks just like my Sheaffer Valiant, except for the Canadian nib.  These can be very nice pens when working properly.

Unless you have prior experience, I recommend professional restoration of the filling system.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum!

Regards,

Craig

#3 PenAngell

PenAngell

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 23:09

Looks like a Sheaffer vacuum-fill, circa 1945? Penhero.com has a helpful info on these pens. Hope that helps

Jon

#4 AD43

AD43

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:52

triumph touchdown or crest

#5 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:14

The pen is celluloid (although I personally don't regard ebonite pens as "just" rubber :) ), and has Sheaffer's Vacuum-Fil filling system:

http://www.penhero.c...uumFilGuide.htm

http://www.richardsp...?anatomy=vacfil

(You'll no doubt come to regard Jim Mamoulides' and Richard Binder's websites as standard references as your involvement with fountain pens continues.)

As CraigN mentioned, this is unfortunately something you'll have to send to a professional for restoration.

Brian

Edited by Tweel, 17 April 2017 - 06:20.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheaffer, help, identification, two-tone nib, white-dot

Sponsored Content

|