Still New To Mixing

Charles Skinner

Some of the recipes listed here are really complicated and drawn out. At this time, being a beginner, I need advice on very simple mixes, ---- for example only two colors, perhaps three, to go into the mix. I have make two "keepers," so far. Today, I am wondering how I can make a mixture with black ink as a part of the mix. I have all of the other colors to work with. Any suggestions? C. S.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charles Skinner

• Sailor Kenshin

• Tas

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are going to mix with black ink, add the black to the other color in VERY small increments. It takes very little black to make big changes.

OH MAN! ----- I have really gotten "messed up" trying to make ink mixtures. I have the names I gave each mix all mixed up. I have a couple of mixes that I have no idea what is in them.

There must be a way to deal with this! I know that I am an old man with failing mental ability. BUT surely this is not "rocket science!'

I have plan, IF I keep trying. Here it is: Work of ONE mix at a time, perhaps only one mix during any given day. Use that ink only for a day or two in my journal. When I am absolutely sure that the mix is one I want to keep, I will "name" it and move on to another try at ink mixing.

I would like to know if any of you have ever had a problem somewhat like this. Am I the only "crazy" pen and ink man out there?

I am somewhat disturbed. It seems like it would be so simple, but the way I started is not simple and it is quickly mixed up and beyond my ability to keep up with it.

Can you cheer me up, just a little!

C. S.

Keep a big bottle to dump out your failures.

Label it ' The Who-Cares Official Ink Dump.' I have actually attained a pretty nice sepia brown and a pretty nice blue-black that way.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Welcome to the wonderful world of ink mixing. This is one way where keeping notes is essential for success, I believe.

Sailor's advice is also very good; my Dregs bottles serve a similar purpose. In it go disappointing samples, mixes that weren't what I was hoping for and could not get to approach that, and any ink I'm tired of before the pen runs dry. The result is always interesting, and when the bottle is full and the color more or less to my liking - if unexpected - I put a label on and start using the resulting mixture in my pens.

But, when you are still trying to make your first or second successful mix, what you want of course is a way of keeping track what's where. So, use those small vials, and yes, label them. And either on the label, or in your ink journal or notebook that you keep to keep track of your experiments, make a note of what is meant by each label: so much of this, so much of that, so much of the other... also, write whatever you write about the mix using the mix, so you know what it looks like. Plus, keep a record of what pen it is in, if you have a pen you fill for your experiments. I usually dip until I find a mix I feel is close to what I want; then I fill a pen and use it for a while, finetuning as I go.

The way I work, one, maybe two different mixes at a time, not more, or it will get too confusing. I have a separate ink notebook with notes; I describe what I do, what I wanted, and I also date each entry. Sometimes I have a few lines per experiment, sometimes it runs a few paragraphs. Sometimes I work on them for a few days, then end up abandoning them: consolidating with similar ones that it's too much hassle to keep separate, or deciding in the end what I made is not good enough to keep. Those may end up in the various forms of dregs. I seldom actually throw out ink - not after going to the trouble of ordering on line, paying plenty of money, going to the post office to get it, and all that. It makes me want to use every drop.

Hope this was helpful...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

It's like Heroin.

The first "hit" might go really well and then you'll spend the rest of your life chasing that dragon of success.

Seriously though. Some you'll win, most you'll lose, but it will all be worth it for that one or two that will have you dancing with joy

http://www.taskyprianou.com/me_breakdancing.jpg

Some of my greatest mixes are my dregs bottles :)

(look carefully at many of the wonderful reviewer's chromatics - massive clues to an ink's make up lie there)