Picking A Nib Size For Lamy 2000

Karenne

I have a EF and it's not scratchy... About of feedback I suppose, and it writes more like an architect than a rounded nib.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karenne

• ParkerDuofold

• Jamerelbe

• RRE

^ Good to hear it. I do sometimes wonder if there was a period where the EF sized nib had a different QC process involved. Because there was a stretch of several years where I'd seen many people complain about it being scratchy. If yours is not an exception but more representative of how the nibs are, then that's good news. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I had F at first, but found it too broad for what I was using it for (filling in forms on cheap printer paper). Exchanged it for EF which was great for general writing for me and not particularly scratchy. Unfortunately I lost that pen (along with a parker 51) somewhere at school last year... finally got around to replacing it and bought another 2000, and this time... went with a Broad! And holy wow, is it fun - my first broad nib. I am not using it to fill in forms on cheap paper, that's for sure - rather for long-form note taking, journaling, etc on nice paper only. I got a black Vanishing Point in EF for work, which is conservative and writes REALLY small while still being smooth. The Broad 2000 is pretty ridiculous and lays down a ton of ink. Feels a lot like writing with a $150 sharpie!

I had F at first, but found it too broad for what I was using it for (filling in forms on cheap printer paper). Exchanged it for EF which was great for general writing for me and not particularly scratchy. Unfortunately I lost that pen (along with a parker 51) somewhere at school last year... finally got around to replacing it and bought another 2000, and this time... went with a Broad! And holy wow, is it fun - my first broad nib. I am not using it to fill in forms on cheap paper, that's for sure - rather for long-form note taking, journaling, etc on nice paper only. I got a black Vanishing Point in EF for work, which is conservative and writes REALLY small while still being smooth. The Broad 2000 is pretty ridiculous and lays down a ton of ink. Feels a lot like writing with a $150 sharpie!

LOL i know what you mean but writing with a broader nib gives you that extra shading and sheen with the right kind of paper. I have a couple F nibs pens and sometimes they just feel like writing with fine liners or a 0.5 point pen. It does the job but lacks some characters of a nice fountain pen :)

I am practicing my ABC's so I use an OBB, lol, please do not get this unless you really want to sign documents with. That is what I use the pen for, it is probably the smoothest nib I have on a pen, but boy does it draw a line.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a fine L2k ( 3 yrs old) that writes like a medium. I also have a new L2k xf that does write quite like an xf. The 1st xf I had to send back. No sweet spot, terrible. The replacement is perfect and amazing. The 2000s seem to run a bit wetter than the Safaris. Probably the gold nib is much of the cause. I have a 14k safari xf nib that is more like a medium. In closing: if you use work copy paper I would still go 1 size smaller. Xf is a safe bet at work for example.

I've found the fine on the 2000 to be a little wider as it's much wetter than my other Lamys that I own. It's a good size for me as I don't write teeny tiny, but large enough where the width is pleasant. It's wider than my Pilot Medium.

Edited by PostrockandCats

So, I just recently got my Lamy 2000, in an EF. I'll hopefully get a review up soon, but it was lightly used. It was, per the description a store return (no clue what retailer as it's a huge aggregate ebay seller). It was actually returned because the person was either a ham-fisted neanderthal or thought soft nib with some flex meant it's a vintage nib to do Spencerian with. It was sprung, badly. You could hold a party, but I was methodical and got the tines closed up perfectly.

Anyway, the thing is wet writer and honestly I'd say it writes like a Japanese M-F, truly. I was worried too at first when I saw the nib but after considering my plan of attack and fixing it well, it's SUCH a smooth nib.

EF isn't my first choice, but I'm glad I got it as it's pretty wet and a lot bigger than I'd expect from even a European EF. Also, the sweet spot on the nib is large, despite being an EF. The only other EF nibs I have to compare that I can think of are regular steel Lamy nibs and those are nails as we know. I don't get the 'small' or 'specific' angle spot on the Lamy - mine is very forgiving and a great writer.

Anyway, my thoughts are always get a B or stub nib (better yet if it's a tipped stub). Ink on the page. If you take notes, there are quick dry inks. X-Feather if you worry about that on cheap paper, etc. Just get a firehouse essentially. MOAR INK!

• 1 year later...

I read on here that the Lamy 2000 nibs are no longer a size larger than they should be. I had a fine and later bought a medium that wrote exactly the same width. I'm not sure if Lamy began to make their nibs narrower than in the past and I bought a medium after that transition, or their nib sizes aren't very consistent.

In any regard, you may want to disregard the old Lamy rule.

I bought a Lamy 2000 medium for a good deal on Amazon within the last 6 months, figuring that my Lamy Safari isn't that bad (I prefer fine, as I review quite a few documents at work and big letters don't fit in the margins). Wow. After I figured out the sweet spot it was too late to return it, as it is wetter and thicker than my Safari by a significant margin.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

i have two lamy 1.1 stubs, a pelikan broad and a visconti broad... so when i picked up my 2000 i ordered a broad... that was a mistake and i agree with Jashua.. I feel like I am writing with a $150 sharpie... it's way too broad... wish I got a medium and trying to figure out my next move... but it may include a visit to a nibmeister. great pen otherwise

Edited by MHBru

i have two lamy 1.1 stubs, a pelikan broad and a visconti broad... so when i picked up my 2000 i ordered a broad... that was a mistake and i agree with Jashua.. I feel like I am writing with a $150 sharpie... it's way too broad... wish I got a medium and trying to figure out my next move... but it may include a visit to a nibmeister. great pen otherwise

Mirrors exactly my experience testing the 2000 in-store. I asked for a medium and a fine to sample write with, and got a medium and a broad. The medium was nice, smooth, and as expected, medium sized (slightly smaller than a z50 nib medium, but still large enough of a line to be called a medium), but oh boy howdy, that broad. It literally was like a sharpie. The line was huge. I actually said that in store, "I feel like I'm writing with a sharpie!" and the salesperson told me it's great for the elderly who have "a hard time seeing fine lines."

It feels nice and glassy, but stay away from those 2K broads regardless, unless you're into the fat lines. They make the z50 broad nibs look like medium-fines.

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

• 2 weeks later...

I have an affinity for finer nibs, and my 2000 uses an EF nib and I find it wide, especially when compared to my Pilot pens. For my uses, EF from Lamy is my preference unless I am trying for a specific effect that is not regular writing such as notes or letters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have only one lamy 2000 in B - it writes like a dream

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid