Pelikan Or Waterman?

php2316

Even though I prefer Pelikan, I will always have a soft spot for Waterman. My first fountain pen was a red Waterman Expert which was given to me as a gift by my uncle. It has been with me through high school and university years, and I still use it sometimes.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Albert26

• php2316

• amk

• praxim

Pelikan has a wetter nib in Pelikan 4001 is a dry ink.

Many complain how wide a line Pelikan makes...but use a wet ink instead of a dry one.

Waterman is a dryer nib, in Waterman was once considered a wet ink.I bought some Waterman for a dry writing nib....inlaid so not something to spread the tines. Worked well. But now I use DA Royal Blue instead...it's a bit wetter, a bit more saturated.

Both nibs and inks were designed to meet in a middle.

Now, Noodlers users call Waterman inks Dry :yikes: ......so don't use Noodlers with Pelikan in Noodlers is a super wet ink.....and then complain Pelikan writes Fat....no...it's the Ink that is fat.

Well with a converter one can use Noodlers in a once dry Waterman.....could well be a wider line than Waterman's inks.

I was here babbling BS as I'd learned it...Pistons hold so much more than cartridge pens.........having only a single short international cartridge in mind....then the Myth Died.

One of the Sheaffer long cartridges held 160ml....the same as the huge giant 149. :lticaptd:

Two short international cartridges held 1.48ml vs 1.27-37 for a 400. B)

Alvbert it was only the 400nn that held 1.97 or so...a new Viscontie at 2.00 and Fountainble's pen is a plunger filler not a piston pen.

The rest held lots less...1.60 for the 149...1.27 for the 200/400...1.37 for the 600/800...1.47 for the 1000...off the top of my head.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Pelikan has a wetter nib in Pelikan 4001 is a dry ink.

Many complain how wide a line Pelikan makes...but use a wet ink instead of a dry one.

Waterman is a dryer nib, in Waterman was once considered a wet ink.I bought some Waterman for a dry writing nib....inlaid so not something to spread the tines. Worked well. But now I use DA Royal Blue instead...it's a bit wetter, a bit more saturated.

Both nibs and inks were designed to meet in a middle.

Now, Noodlers users call Waterman inks Dry :yikes: ......so don't use Noodlers with Pelikan in Noodlers is a super wet ink.....and then complain Pelikan writes Fat....no...it's the Ink that is fat.

Well with a converter one can use Noodlers in a once dry Waterman.....could well be a wider line than Waterman's inks.

I was here babbling BS as I'd learned it...Pistons hold so much more than cartridge pens.........having only a single short international cartridge in mind....then the Myth Died.

One of the Sheaffer long cartridges held 160ml....the same as the huge giant 149. :lticaptd:

Two short international cartridges held 1.48ml vs 1.27-37 for a 400. B)

Alvbert it was only the 400nn that held 1.97 or so...a new Viscontie at 2.00 and Fountainble's pen is a plunger filler not a piston pen.

The rest held lots less...1.60 for the 149...1.27 for the 200/400...1.37 for the 600/800...1.47 for the 1000...off the top of my head.

2,2 mL for the Aurora 88 (vintage). Why this pen has not more fans is beyond me...

I'd leave the Waterman hemisphere where it is to be honest.

They are fine pens, but the modern Waterman pens I have (Hemisphere & Perspective) dry out quite quickly - if you don't use it for more than a couple of days you end up having to dip the nib to deal with annoying dry starts. The pen writes well enough, but I suspect that your Pelikan is going to knock spots off the Hemisphere.

If you really want a Hemisphere - buy a second hand one - there's a fair number on e-bay, or look at Amazon's warehouse sales. Amazon seems to get a bulk supply of Waterman pens and and sells them off cheap.

That said, I'd certainly buy a bottle of Waterman Inspired (new name)/South Seas Blue (old name). It is a delicious turquoise ink.

I have four Peilikan's (two M200's, a M150 and a 120 Merz & Krell) and have a Waterman Phileas. The Pelikan's get much more use. The Phileas is not a bad pen, in fact for a while was a very good entry level pen. Problem is they are now ridiculously priced. When I got mine I paid around $40-$50. When I looked for a replacement for a lost one in early 2014? $80-$200 on ebay. I bought my M200 Cognac from a Japanese seller on Amazon for $100. I haven't measured volume of ink in the Waterman converter and the Pelikan's. Although the 120 M&K has a capacity of like .65 ml or something like that and it has a very wet Medium nib.

I prefer the Pelikan.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I agree with other posters - go with what appeals to you. Can't go wrong with either brand.

Personally, I'm a huge Waterman fan - own multiple Carenes. I respect Pelikan but feel they are too light for my taste. As for piston vs. converter, you have to balance ink volume (piston) with flexibility (convert / cartridge).

Try them both and decide.

John

I have a lot of Pelikans, but I probably have more watermans. I love the feel and reliability of the Phyleas, the Expert is one of the best pens out there for the money. The Carene and Edson are in a class of their own. But for simple dependability, ease of operation and a just plain forgiving nature, I have to go with the Pelikan. 100 thru 800, if I could only pick one pen, I would take whichever Pelikan is available,

I have a Waterman Carene and a Pelikan M400 Brown Tortoise. Love both but for very different reasons. For example, both nibs perform beautifully. Carene 18K fine nib is just right for paper in my workplace, on which Pelikan M400 easily feathers. But I love M400's wet nib for sheening ink; mine is a medium cursive italic. Kon-peki sheens beautifully in M400 but acts like a "normal" blue at work in Carene.

If I could only buy one pen, which one would I pick? Depending on budget, I guess. In the US, Pelikan costs more than Waterman.

For me it depends CRITICALLY on which pen.

Fit is important. If the pen does not fit and feel comfortable in my hand, no matter the cost, I won't like or use it.

Example, as much as some people like the M1000, it is way to fat and heavy for me.

If Pelikan made a slightly slimmer version of the M400, that would be the pen that I would take.

Filing system; cartridge/converter or piston does not make much of a difference to me. I currently use both + other systems.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

AC...look at a Geha 725...inlaid semi-flex nib, medium-long and a bit thinner than a 400....very great posted balance also. Very sleek and classy. rolled gold trim.

Permission of Penboard.de of the inlaid nib.....need to get a better picture of the clip...two slightly curved lines give it so much class....much more than straight line.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/Goldschwing%20nib-2%20-%20Copy_zpslfjx1ael.jpg

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/geha1%20-%20Copy_zpstockjbgs.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Congrats, I am sure you will enjoy your Pelikan pen for years to come, but be careful: Pelikan can be quite addictive and probably you will want more :).

This is so, so true. I started with a used M200 in gray a couple years ago, now I've got a handful-plus of M200s, three M400s, a couple M600s, and three M800s. I keep saying "I'm done, I've got all I need." But it doesn't work. I pre-ordered the M800 Renaissance Brown within a day of its announcement. I think I might have a problem...

i have a couple of watermans, because i do like to change ink colors often. on that basis, i would like to point out one other difference which is, for me, advantageous. many waterman models, e.g. my gentleman and executive (discontinued, but available), are lacquer over brass construction, heavier and more durable than the plastic-bodied pelikans. so, try one; see if you appreciate the heft and sturdiness as i do.

I would have to go with Waterman.

This is entirely a sentimental decision.

For what ever reason I think Watermans has smoother nibs. I have a couple Pelikans and there is nothing wrong with them. Still, for what ever reason I think I like the writing experience better with Watermans. I think I may have secretly been indoctrinated by the Rubbermaid people to like Watermans.

This is so, so true. I started with a used M200 in gray a couple years ago, now I've got a handful-plus of M200s, three M400s, a couple M600s, and three M800s. I keep saying "I'm done, I've got all I need." But it doesn't work. I pre-ordered the M800 Renaissance Brown within a day of its announcement. I think I might have a problem...

I have the same problem. I couldn't decide between the m600 vibrant green and the green o green, and I got them both :blush:.

Edited by Albert26

I have both vintage and modern Pelikans and Watermans and love both. But for what you can buy new, right now, I'd have to say Pelikan has more style.

Of course if you cant or dont want to take an ink bottle around with you, that limits your choices (though there are some fine, good value Pelikan cartridge fillers of 'recent vintage' production).

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

I have both vintage and modern Pelikans and Watermans and love both. But for what you can buy new, right now, I'd have to say Pelikan has more style.

Of course if you cant or dont want to take an ink bottle around with you, that limits your choices (though there are some fine, good value Pelikan cartridge fillers of 'recent vintage' production).

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

AC...look at a Geha 725...inlaid semi-flex nib, medium-long and a bit thinner than a 400....very great posted balance also. Very sleek and classy. rolled gold trim.

Permission of Penboard.de of the inlaid nib.....need to get a better picture of the clip...two slightly curved lines give it so much class....much more than straight line.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/Goldschwing%20nib-2%20-%20Copy_zpslfjx1ael.jpg

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/geha1%20-%20Copy_zpstockjbgs.jpg

I am curious about these Geha pens. They have a very good reputation, and their school pens were very popular in Germany during the 50s-70s, even more than Pelikan pens.

I have a strong sentimental attachment to Waterman, but after trying an awful lot of them (including Carene, Hemisphere and Phileas in the moderns) that they just aren't as good as Pelikans. This is highly subjective, of course, but I find there's always some minor flaw in any given Waterman that either distracts from its immediate use or gives concern about its long-term durability. If someone offered me a new Hemisphere or a new P200, I'd take the Pelikan in an instant-- an M200, which involves one less step of dismantling at refill time, would be even better in my eyes.

None of which is to say I wouldn't like to at least try an Edson....

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Waterman for me.

I've handled a few Pelikans and find them a bit, well...uninspiring.

I'd be reluctant to shell out what they cost.

Watermans however, always float my boat.

Ian

Edited by Ian the Jock

on the higher side of things:

Waterman has a better quality control

Pelikans are more feature rich (replaceable nib units, brass piston, ...)

Both have very different designs. If you don't mind not having a piston, choose on style and comfort.