Pelikan Or Waterman?

php2316

If you were only able to acquire a Pelikan or a Waterman fountain pen, would there be a clear choice for you? Reasons?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Albert26

• php2316

• Bo Bo Olson

• amk

For me, Pelikan without hesitation. Not because it's necessarily better, it is a matter of taste.

- Pelikan has a piston filling system, which holds more ink than a c/c, and it's just cool.

- I like the looks of Pelikan more than those of Waterman, and I also prefer the feel of a Pelikan nib, it's a very genuine feel. Waterman nibs are among the best as well, but they are not so "interesting".

Hope this helps, but in the end it will depend on your taste and what are you looking for in a pen, which is not necessarily what I am looking for.

Either brand is top notch, and you should be satisfied by both of them. Why not get one Pelikan and one Waterman :D?

Edited by Albert26

I agree - it is a matter of taste. Pelikan has a style from which it does not diverge much. Waterman is more diverse. For example, there is a big difference between a Waterman Carene and a Hemisphere. But Waterman in Cartridge/converter only, whereas most Pelikans have an excellent piston filling system.

If you prefer to change ink colors often, go for the Waterman. If you want the ink to last a long time and you like the Pelikan aesthetic, go for that one.

In any case, it is hard to go wrong.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

I agree - it is a matter of taste. Pelikan has a style from which it does not diverge much. Waterman is more diverse. For example, there is a big difference between a Waterman Carene and a Hemisphere. But Waterman in Cartridge/converter only, whereas most Pelikans have an excellent piston filling system.

If you prefer to change ink colors often, go for the Waterman. If you want the ink to last a long time and you like the Pelikan aesthetic, go for that one.

In any case, it is hard to go wrong.

Erick

Thank you, Erik.

Paul

For me, Pelikan without hesitation. Not because it's necessarily better, it is a matter of taste.

- Pelikan has a piston filling system, which holds more ink than a c/c, and it's just cool.

- I like the looks of Pelikan more than those of Waterman, and I also prefer the feel of a Pelikan nib, it's a very genuine feel. Waterman nibs are among the best as well, but they are not so "interesting".

Hope this helps, but in the end it will depend on your taste and what are you looking for in a pen, which is not necessarily what I am looking for.

Either brand is top notch, and you should be satisfied by both of them. Why not get one Pelikan and one Waterman :D?

Thank you, Albert.

I just received the PelikanM120N which i really like. Great smooth writer, excellent feel, and nice classic (black/green) look. And yes, the piston filling system (my first) is really cool. Appreciate your feedback. Kind regards, Paul

Thank you, Albert.

I just received the PelikanM120N which i really like. Great smooth writer, excellent feel, and nice classic (black/green) look. And yes, the piston filling system (my first) is really cool. Appreciate your feedback. Kind regards, Paul

PS

Am considering ordering a Waterman Hemisphere for comparison.

PS

Congrats, I am sure you will enjoy your Pelikan pen for years to come, but be careful: Pelikan can be quite addictive and probably you will want more :).

PS

Let me know if you do. I have been considering a Hemisphere of "La Collection Privée" range for a while, they are beautiful.

As I recollect from a thread here somewhere, that thing about a piston filler holding far more than a cartridge converter is a myth, or the difference so small as to be negligible and certainly not to justify a wild comment like "if you prefer to change ink colours often" vs "if you prefer the ink to last a long time".

Found one. Look here and read down.

As for your query, you did not say at the outset what Pelikan and Waterman pens you were comparing. From experience with a couple of modern ones (each), my general advice would be to choose that which looks and feels nicer to you in the hand.

X

As I recollect from a thread here somewhere, that thing about a piston filler holding far more than a cartridge converter is a myth, or the difference so small as to be negligible and certainly not to justify a wild comment like "if you prefer to change ink colours often" vs "if you prefer the ink to last a long time".

Found one. Look here and read down.

As for your query, you did not say at the outset what Pelikan and Waterman pens you were comparing. From experience with a couple of modern ones (each), my general advice would be to choose that which looks and feels nicer to you in the hand.

If it is a true piston filler, it is by no means a myth, Sir. I say true piston filler, because some pens are advertised as "piston fillers" when in reality they are built-in converters (i.e. Cleo Skribent Ebonite). It is true however, that piston filler pens nowadays don't hold so much ink as they used to, but even then a standard piston filler will hold 50% ink more than a c/c.

A Pelikan NN, an Aurora 88 (vintage), or an Omas Paragon hold 2 mL of ink. I still have to see a converter with which I can write 40-60 pages (depending on nib width) in a straight run.

Edited by Albert26

Albert, I think the OP was querying current Pelikans, which are discussed in the pages I linked. I am remarkably willing to define a "true piston filler" by its ink capacity, to suit a point, and still more willing to answer the OP for what are now to be known as "untrue piston fillers" given that appears to be the basis of their query. :)

I very much agreed with these points that you made:

X

While I have a lot of sentiment for Waterman's I think Pelikans are better pens. On the other hand I would choose Waterman - the issue I have with Pelikans is short section that irritates me. Having said that I still think Pelikan offers more for the money.

I have several Watermans and have never written with a Pelikan, so I cannot compare them myself, but isn't it the case that Pelikans are wet pens, and Watermans relatively dry, by and large?

If so, is this a factor the original poster should consider? Does ink preference come into play?

Pelikan hands down for me. Every Pelikan I've written with out of the box feels amazing. But I can't say the same for Waterman..

My Pelikan M400 has been the most reliable pen, by far: zero problems. My high end Waterman Leman 100 is nice but depends on a converter discontinued long ago, the original failed. My lower end Laureat Waterman regurgitates ink for reasons unknown, I'm hoping a section transplant will solve this; the gold on the Laureat's nib washed away but is extremely smooth, if a lot thicker than the Leman's. The Pelikan's F is also quite thick. In terms of aesthetics the Leman 100 would be just about perfect, except I've developed a healthy aversion to gold, and both are black with gold trim.

I value reliability very highly so Pelikan wins, hands down, although my new Sailor Pro Gear in Rhodium trim has a way better nib, and has in the few months I've had it never failed either.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Definitely Pelikan. From what I've seen and tried, Waterman pens just seem cheap to me.

Of course there are some very nice Waterman pens, but for the most part I just find Pelikan to be of higher quality.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

I would really want to get Carene, but:

* I would like to try M600 for day long writing session. It seems to be more substantial than M200 without becoming heavyweight.

* I love wet and smooth Pelikan IB nib. I would like to try IM.

* When it cames to vintage, pre-WWII 101N Lizard is on top of my can't afford wish-list.

So my vote goes for Pelikan.

Pelikan can be quite addictive and probably you will want more :).

Now you tell me. :rolleyes:

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Hmm, I own a Carene, and I couldn't be more pleased with it. Wholeheartedly recommended if you fancy the design, which may not be for everyone. It is small wonder that it is one of the most popùlar pens.

Edited by Albert26