Shocking Ink Adulteration

Maurizio

I admit, when I find something that's effective with no substantial downside I tend to go a bit overboard.

I started messing around with ink adulteration to make the ink I use for calligraphy practice flow better. I first started adding some glycerin to Noodler's Black. This worked so nicely that I tried it with Noodler's Blue and then even with Sailor Jentle Black. All good with no substantial side effects. Note the qualifier "substantial". The addition of glycerin will reduce the dry time of ink. The effect where you live may vary based on your atmospheric conditions. I live in the Northeast region of the USA.

I have found that if I add more than 2 drops to a standard 3 or 4 oz bottle of ink, then the dry time will be noticeable. Less than 3 drops, no substantial effect. For ink I use for calligraphy, this is not a problem because you do that slowly and deliberately, so longer dry time doesn't matter. For ink for everyday use, longer dry time may be an issue so if you want to do this do it carefully and in increments. Some people here say don't adulterate a whole bottle of ink which is probably good conservative advice at least until you know the effects will be on the ink you wish to use for everyday writing. I have never bothered with such sensible advice and have added fat drops of glycerin to whole bottles of ink. For me, that has not been a problem. This is a hobby and its supposed to be fun, so, at least when it comes to playing around with inks (not good pens though), I usually throw caution to the winds; worst case, I've ruined a bottle of ink, which, by the way, has never happened.

Note also that glycerin may, and often will make your ink a slight shade darker. Obviously this effect varies with the type of ink.

Although satisfied with the effects glycerin, browsing the art supplies on Amazon one day, I came across an item called Liquitex Flow-Aid. Reading about it from the information supplied by the company, this is supposed to enhance the flow of liquid art mediums and is safe for fountain pen ink also. Never satisfied with leaving well enough alone, I ordered a bottle and started playing. I've read several times here of people using a flow aid called Photo Flo. Looks like this stuff only sells in large pint-size bottles which could very well be more than a lifetime supply which would probably evaporate before I could use it all, whereas the Liquitex stuff sells in handy 4oz bottles, still a lot but a more manageable size. At first I started by putting a drop of the Liquitex into the ink I use just for calligraphy - Noodler's Black, Sailor Jentle Black, Noodler's Old Manhattan Black, which already had one or 2 drops of glycerin added. Well, the Liquitex stuff also works nicely and noticeably improves the flow of all the calligraphy inks I tried it in initially.

Since these first applications to the inks I used for calligraphy, I decided to branch out and try the glycerin and the Liquitex in some of my everyday inks. First try was in a bottle of standard Pilot Blue. 1 drop of glycerin and 1 drop of Liquitex. Result: an even freer flowing ink with no issues of over long dry times. Since then, I have taken to adding both liquids to all of my inks, with, FOR ME, no adverse effects.

I think the combination works particularly nicely in Bay State Blue (or other oversaturated inks), a notoriously and delightfully oversaturated ink. I still don't put this ink in my precious gold-nibbled pens, but do now put it in more of my Chinese pens without any ill efffects and indeed the increased flow has resulted in, so far, clog-free performance from an ink which, understandably, can very easily clog up the nibs of pens.

I have now successfully added this liquid combo to the following inks:

Noodler's Blue

Noodler's Eel Blue

Noodler's Bay State Blue

Noodler's Ottoman Rose

Noodler's Old Manhattan Black

Sailor Jentle Black

Sailor Jentle Blue

Sailor Brown (don't know exactly how to call this - part of their Spring Colors collection?)

Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue

Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Green

Private Reserve Chocolat

Private Reserve Cosmic Cobalt

Pilot Blue

Pilot iroshshizuku tsuyu-kusa (gasp, he even screws around with expensive ink!)

Diamine Turquoise

I'm just passing this on so other ink adventures may get at least curious. Photos of the products attached.

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maurizio

• LizEF

• displacermoose

• ReadyFireAim

Maurizio, I've been curious about this sort of thing for a while, trying to figure out the difference in feel between wet and lubricated, and I'm wondering, does this just make the ink wetter, or does it (also?) lubricate?

I wonder if this is like the Cuddles Flo+ that Organic Studios makes. The Cuddles (I like that name because I suffer from sensory deprivation that is unrelieved even by urushi pens) also has some biocide in it. I hope the Lord grants me the ability to retire so I can spend my days doing comparison studies of all this stuff.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Liz - if by "lubricate" you mean lubricate internal piston mechanisms, I really can not say. I have only 2 piston fillers, one of which is a Pilot Custom 823. I certainly have not experienced any NEGATIVE effects from my mixtures but can't say that they actually lubricate the internal mechanism in any way. Maybe someone who knows more about the mechanics of the internal pistons can offer an opinion. I do know that the ostensible purpose of an ink like the Noodler's Eel inks is to lubricate internal mechanisms, but I don't want to assert that for my mixtures, not being in any way knowledgeable on these matters.

For me it's fun and it works.

JM - I haven't seen that product but I'm guessing it may be similar to the Liquitex liquid if its purpose is to serve as a liquid flow aide in the same way that the Photo Flo liquid is supposed to work. I'm not a chemist so don't know if any of these 3 products share similar chemical compositions and would love to hear from someone with chemistry training to weigh in on this question.

Liz - if by "lubricate" you mean lubricate internal piston mechanisms, I really can not say....

No, I mean as a lubricant between the nib and the paper. I don't fully understand it, but I think I've experienced it. Some inks can flow out of the pen just fine, and yet it still feels less smooth than when using a different ink. I would say a lubricated ink will glide along the paper more. So you have a dry/wet scale, and a lubricated/not scale. I don't know if a dry ink can be lubricated, or if whatever causes lubrication also increases wetness. Mostly, I'm still drying to figure this out and whether it's worth trying to use something for lubrication (I don't want wetter per se, but I might like more lubricated).

Ah . . . that question I can address. Keep in mind that the is a report about MY experience and may not apply universally.

The addition of glycerin definitely improves the glide of the pen. That is, to me, it feels like it reduces the friction between the nib and the paper.

I believe the flow aide does that also but much less so, and does so more as a function of the incremental increase in the amount of liquid exiting from the nib as opposed to increasing - what's that the engineers say? - the coefficient of friction. Glycerin seems to do this which I think is why it's added to skin creams, cough drops and other products both for internal and external consumption which would like to be smoother and softer.

Ink makers are notoriously tight-lipped about all of their proprietary ingredients, their formulas, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if glycerin in some form is used in at least some modern ink formulas. Any ink industry people listening in who can weigh in here?

Re the question can a dry ink be lubricated. For me the answer to that is also yes. Pelikan is fairly widely known here as a "dry" ink. I prefer my inks wet. My addition of my ingredients as described above has definitely increased the wetness of my Pelikan inks.

Edited by Maurizio

Ah . . . that question I can address. Keep in mind that the is a report about MY experience and may not apply universally.

The addition of glycerin definitely improves the glide of the pen. That is, to me, it feels like it reduces the friction between the nib and the paper.

I believe the flow aide does that also but much less so, and does so more as a function of the incrementsl increase in the amount of liquid exiting from the nib as opposed to increasing - what's that the engineers say? - the coefficient of friction. Glycerin seems to do this which I think is why it's added to skin creams, cough drops and other products both for internal and external consumption which would like to be smoother and softer.

Ink makers are notoriously tight-lipped about all of their proprietary ingredients, their formulas, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if glycerin in some form is used in at least some modern ink formulas. Any ink industry people listening in who can weigh in here?

Re the question can a dry ink be lubricated. For me the answer to that is also yes. Pelikan is fairly widely know here as a "dry" ink. I prefer my inks wet. My addition of my ingredients as described above has definitely incerased the wetness of my Pelikan inks.

Thanks, Maurizio! That's very helpful. I'm off to add some glycerin to my wish list for experimentation. :) I'll ponder whether to add the flow aid too.

Edited by LizEF

Your're welcome. Have fun.

Fascinating. I'm on a quest to get Noodler's Kung Te Cheng to keep looking fantastic and holding up to anything while being better behaved. I discovered Forma Flo at the camera shop which comes in 4 oz bottles. The camera people said that it is functionally equivalent to PhotoFlo, so I bought it. It certainly helps, although when added to a (thankfully small) batch that I had already augmented with dish soap the ink turned turquoise and developed dramatic SITB. When just added alone, it reduces the tendency to clog and I have not noticed any significant issues. I'm intrigued by your additives. I'll have to get some glycerin and see what that does.

Yet another Sarah.

Good luck.

I'm afraid the soap did in your first mix.

I'm sure you're right. It was fine on its own. But this is why I mix in sample vials.

Yet another Sarah.

You're prudent to do that. I'm reckless. Good luck on your adulterations.

I love inksperimentations. Thank you for sharing.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Nice of you to weigh in.

Thought at least some people might be interested or at least curious.

Oh I was more than curious, am following along quietly. You got me inspired enough to get my own bottle of glycerin, and I got it pure at a local drugstore at a very nice price. And thanks to your story I knew enough to add it to experimental ink mixes in really tiny quantities... so, from me, too: thanks for sharing, and keep up the good work...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Thank you for your kind words MH. I'm pleased that I inspired you to experiment and play.

Thank you so much for sharing this!

For me this seems a bit self-evident that slight amounts of glycerin would aid in the "writability" of the ink. Glycerin in used as a lubricant for so many things.

But I guess I still am a bit skeptical as to the long term affect on the pen. Glycerin is relatively benign, but I wonder if and how it might build up.

Forgive my ruminating. I may just have to give it a try.

I love that you tried it both very inexpensive inks as well as expensive inks. Where I think they may be most effective are in inks that are very water based, i.e. Waterman, J. Herbin, Callifolio, Pilot Iroshizuku, etc. While I absolutely love, love, love Pilot Iroshizuku inks, one of things that can be a bit irritating for me is that in some of my pens they feel like I am writing with water. Other inks have the same feeling. I may just have to experiment in very small amounts to see if I can mitigate these effects.

Thank you again.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Deborah - so far i have not had any problem with build up of any gunk in my feeds. But I'm not too worried about it if it happens. Glycerin is so easily water soluble that I have no doubt that I could flush out any issues that might arise. Because the glycerin bottle I have doesn't have a dropper function I have to squirt some into another small vessel and then drip it by drops into an ink bottle. I actually squirt the glycerin into a small glass pitcher we use to heat milk for coffee in. I have no problem rinsing the remaining traces of glycerin out of the pitcher with just plain water.

Thanks for reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Maurizio,

I just ordered both from Amazon and will try them out.

My 912 Mottishaw Spencerian loves to shred paper so anything might help.

Drying time is not an issue.

Liquitex is normally diluted 1 to 10 in distilled water, but it sounds like you are using it straight. Are you NOT diluting it at all??

<I love such experiments, thanks so much for taking the risk and sharing!>