Differences In 1.1 Stubs?

Moonshae

Hi all,

I got an Eco with a 1.1 stub and love it, and thought the 580AL would be a nice addition, so I got a 1.1 stub to go with it. I was surprised at the difference; the Eco nib seems much finer, and is visibly smaller at the tip than the 1.1 that fits the 580AL. This isn't a knock; they're both fine pens and I have no problems with performance. I was just surprised that the 580AL nib seems broader and more sensitive to angle than the Eco nib.

post-135875-0-27831200-1492219320_thumb.jpgpost-135875-0-97723500-1492219333_thumb.jpg

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Driften

• Torrilin

• Jamerelbe

• Moonshae

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did the reverse of you - got the Diamond 580 first and the Eco second. I much prefer the 1.1 on the Diamond over the Eco. I wanted the Eco to be similar writer to the D580.

I'm thinking of just replacing the Eco 1.1 with a broad.

Interesting! As you can see, my penmanship is a work in progress, so finer nibs tend to make it less sloppy looking. I do love the stubs, though. Line variation is especially pleasing to me, even when not written particularly well.

FWIW, the Diamond nib is noticeably smoother than the Eco, which I suppose isn't surprising if it is a little more broad.

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

I have seen the same thing as others have here. The ECO 1.1 is more of a 0.8 stub then the larger 1.1 nib on my 700r or your 580. In my case I love the ECO version much better for every day use. The 700r 1.1 would be nice for larger writing but for me not for every day. I changed out the 700r stub for a F nib until I need larger writing.

• 4 months later...

I had experienced the same thing not with 2 Twsbis but with two different 1.1 stubs... My Vac700-R stub nib is broader than my 1.1 stub nib of my Lamy... I'm thinking about buy a Nemosine 0.8mm nib at Goulet to have a "thinner" line

I noticed the same thing with my Vac700 and Mini 1.1mm pens. I assume it has to do with the size of the nib itself in spite of the fact that 1.1mm is 1.1mm always.

My understanding is TWSBI uses off the shelf nibs in size 6 for the 580, and size 5.5 for the eco. So the physical bit of metal is a different size, and the nib grind will be affected. The italics should be close in size anyway, but there is always variation due to quality control needing to pass enough nibs to meet the price point. 2 samples just isn't enough to judge.

The next bit is different inks will affect how wide or narrow the nib writes. So will different papers. This is easier to see if you're paying close attention to the quality of your hair lines. The thick lines won't be as affected by ink and paper, but hair lines can get destroyed by a bad ink/paper combo. For both writing samples, I personally wouldn't be happy with the hair lines on any of the pens. I doubt the nibs are bad, so more testing of inks and paper is needed to find the ideal combination.

You can see similar variations with ball nibs too, and it's still a good idea to watch the hair lines. A paper and ink combo that gives nice crisp hair lines with a ball nib will be a better bet with an italic.

I've never seen TWSBI directly address the issue of their 1.1mm nibs laying down thicker or thinner lines, but for what it's worth, here's my 2c worth: I suspect it has to do with the wetness (or otherwise) of the nib assemblies. The Diamond Mini nib is rammed very tightly into its assembly, and is notoriously difficult to remove compared to the Diamond 580. In my experience, the former (Minis) seem to lay down somewhat less ink than the latter (my 540s/580s), across the spectrum of nib sizes that I've tried. I don't have any 1.1mm TWSBI stubs, though - just a 1.5mm stub for my 580, and a gaggle of EFs, Fs and Ms - so I can't speak from direct personal experience of this nib size.

[The Eco nibs sit more loosely on the feed, and in my experience they're pretty wet writers too.]

I don't have more than one TWSBI, but I do have an Eco and two Nemosine 0.6mm stubs. They are remarkably close in size.

My ECO 1.1 stub measured out at 0.6mm and my 700R 1.1 stub measured at a 1.0mm. My ECO is right in my sweet spot for the size I like! Its a nice nib I can use every day. The 700r stub is too wide for my taste until I need to write really large for something.

580 1.1 stub is doing a fine job for me, no complaints, often used

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

As some one else has already inferred, they are not fully comparable nibs. The 580 uses a UK/Euro/US size 6, the Eco a size 5. Touching lightly on the edge you should see similar length, but the ink flow will be different, as will any spring in the nib, so once you start writing they will produce different lines.

In general, the 580 seems to just be a wetter writer than the Eco. My Mini follows the 580 side of the trend.

And where are people getting the idea that the 580 is a #6 sized nib? I'm genuinely curious as the 580 nib is nothing like my other #6 nibs and early on in my starting of the hobby, both GPC and TWSBI said the 580 is not a #6 nib.

In general, the 580 seems to just be a wetter writer than the Eco. My Mini follows the 580 side of the trend.

And where are people getting the idea that the 580 is a #6 sized nib? I'm genuinely curious as the 580 nib is nothing like my other #6 nibs and early on in my starting of the hobby, both GPC and TWSBI said the 580 is not a #6 nib.

Not sure either. Perhaps the 580 is a 5.5 and the Eco a 5? The 580's nib is broader across the shoulders than the Eco.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I could very easily have misremembered the sizes. But either way they're obviously different.

(Now someone please remind me that I have perfectly nice stub nibs and I don't need a pair of twsbi stubs)

The Vac 700 sports a #6 nib; technically I'd say the Diamond 580 and the Mini both sport #5 nibs (as do the various other pens that use the same nib as the Mini) - they both with a 5mm diameter feed - but the 580 is definitely larger / wider in 'wingspan'. That I think is why some people think the 580 is a #6, while others (e.g. Brian Goulet) have been known to describe the Mini nib as a #4.

• 2 weeks later...

The Vac 700 sports a #6 nib; technically I'd say the Diamond 580 and the Mini both sport #5 nibs (as do the various other pens that use the same nib as the Mini) - they both with a 5mm diameter feed - but the 580 is definitely larger / wider in 'wingspan'. That I think is why some people think the 580 is a #6, while others (e.g. Brian Goulet) have been known to describe the Mini nib as a #4.

This is correct. Diamond 580 and Mini/Eco are both #5 nibs, only the Mini and Eco use a smaller shouldered version but still fit on a 5mm feed. The Vac 700 and Micarta take a #6 nib.

• 1 month later...

My Eco is dryer and narrower than my 580 but has less flow issues than the 580. 580 writes and stops.

Edited by minddance