• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MrsCookSC

• sirgilbert357

• Erik Dalton

• ParkerDuofold

Hello all,

To get back to the original question: YES.

ANY brand new item should work perfectly out of the box; that, plus having a perfect, unblemished specimen and a warranty to cover any problems down the road are the chief advantages of buying anything "brand new." Without these primary advantages, there is no reason to shell out the extra money.

Sadly, for me, I'm old enough to remember when "brand new" did equate to "trouble-free." But that was when labor still cared about the product they put out and management still cared more about good will and brand image than bottom lines and golden parachutes.

- Anthony

Actually, not always. With modern plastic feeds that may be true if filled using a converter. With ebonite feeds or when using cartridges it really can take awhile.

But none of that applies here, so why use such a reply for the OP's query -- especially without specifying those parameters? It only serves to muddy the waters. The Visconti does not have an ebonite feed and its a plunger power filler (edited to add: the normal one is anyway).

Edited by sirgilbert357

The MIDI has a piston mechanism and the MAXI has a power filler.

Oh, I stand corrected then. You are right.

I've had 3 Viscontis, all C/C filled and every one of them had flow issues initially. They had to be flushed thoroughly with water and soap to get manufacturing oils and debris out of the nib unit. Now they write like nothing else in my collection. When the first Visconti did this, I was frustrated and almost ready to return it, but I'm glad I didn't.

That said, I don't think it is acceptable to get a pen that is not really ready for shipping especially at Visconti prices. I've had pens that are mass produced write perfectly. Visconti claims that their pens are handmade, at least the nib performance out of the box doesn't suggest so.

Well, as a side note, I've always loved the look of the Visconti Homo Sapiens and wanted one, but the power filler kept me away. I was considering taking a chance on it, but now that I know there is a piston version, I've just planned my next purchase.

I've said this about Stipulas in the past. There should be no manufacturing oils on any pen. Is it really too much to have a nib cleaning vat at the end of the assembly line? Wouldn't it be great advertising,

"Writes right right out of the box" ?

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

In my mind, a fountain pen SHOULD write, right out of the box.

As a user in school and college, I did not now how to adjust the nib of a fountain pen. I just bought it, loaded it with ink and started writing. And luckily, ALL the pens that I bought did write, right out of the box, no fussing needed.

And this is the situation even today with most fountain pen users. They do not know how to adjust the nib of the pen. So the pen has to write, right out of the box.

Unfortunately pens do not have the equivalent of your car dealers service department, to fix the stuff the did not get done quite right at the factory. This is because most stores that sell pen, do not have someone that can do the adjusting that may be needed. And many of us do not have a local store to buy from, we have to do it on-line, which makes the problem worse.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Its not uncommon for quality shops to test out a pen before sending it out. I've recieved more than a few pens with traces of washed out ink in it.

I get the whole crack the seal kind of thing, but I would much rather have a pen that's been inspected by #13 in lieu of what I'm experiencing now... I don't know if my expectations are unrealistic or not, but when I ink up a $60 TWSBI and it writes like a dream... LOL, no pun intended.

Anyway, I have since developed my own method of testing because I can't see worth a (bleep) with the loupe I have... I took my thumbnail and ever so gently rubbed it across the nib... it got snagged between one tine to the other... SO, back it goes.

I've said this about Stipulas in the past. There should be no manufacturing oils on any pen. Is it really too much to have a nib cleaning vat at the end of the assembly line? Wouldn't it be great advertising,

"Writes right right out of the box" ?

Yes.

I don't know what they did in the "old days," but I've spoken with the old timers I know that used fp's when they were in their prime and NOBODY ever flushed out a pen before using it... they took their Model J, their 51, their Snorkel or their Patricia right out of the box, inked it up and started writing with it.

That is how it was then and that is how it should be now... especially with what we pay for pens today. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Yes.

I don't know what they did in the "old days," but I've spoken with the old timers I know that used fp's when they were in their prime and NOBODY ever flushed out a pen before using it... they took their Model J, their 51, their Snorkel or their Patricia right out of the box, inked it up and started writing with it.

That is how it was then and that is how it should be now... especially with what we pay for pens today. :)

- Anthony

I never flush new pens, I ink 'em up and start writing, and everyone of them worked soon as nib touched paper.

I never flush new pens, I ink 'em up and start writing, and everyone of them worked soon as nib touched paper.

Congratulations, Dave, but to hear a lot of other members here; your experience is not as common as it used to be. ;)

I've had issues myself with a few new pens that were solved by a good flush, but I also know people didn't flush new pens out in Yesteryear... so something is a foot. :D

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

sometimes pens require patience

What is this P word you speak of?

I vulch with box cutter in hand awaiting the postman.

There will be bits of packaging on the way to the ink bottle where I dip the pen.

Later on I'll fiddle with the filling mechanism.

I don't remember how my HS (bought from pentime.com) behaved after the first inking. I do know the Visconti piston fillers tend to not want to write if left alone for a few days.

The place I got mine from does test pens. I highly recommend that seller for many reasons.

I hope your HS behaves for you soon. It's such a cool pen.

Posted Image

Congratulations, Dave, but to hear a lot of other members here; your experience is not as common as it used to be. ;)

I've had issues myself with a few new pens that were solved by a good flush, but I also know people didn't flush new pens out in Yesteryear... so something is a foot. :D

- Anthony

I think selective memory was in play earlier, I have purchased a pen that wouldn't write and a replacement nib that wouldn't write, both were defective and were returned to my local retailer.

I forgot about 'em because I didn't keep 'em. All of the dozen or so new pens that I purchased online worked perfectly out of the box.

Should it write out of the box? Absolutely, whether it's to your personal preference, well that is another story.

Anything new should do the one job it is designed for, otherwise it's merely a homage to what ever it looks like.

Don't get me started on tin openers!!!

Good question and one that demands some detail thought. Over the years, I've had many pens , ok, fountain pens and other, let's be up front with it. The " work right out of the box " concept is something rather more modern than many would have think it should. In the past, items and tools of any sort are to be sold but the users are expected to pre-stage the tool for his/her own use and usage. Take a pen, or more literally an oriental brush. You just cannot use it right off the shelf, you need to condition it. Many fountain pens are alike especially those made in India and China but that does not mean they are not well made or faulty. THis just reflect a different philosophy in the Mfr's / Customer sector.

Fountain pens these days from Europe and US tend to be marketed towards the upwardly mobile and those with some disposable income and targeting people who just expect minimal or zero amount of work and preparation of their purchase before able to use it. IN that sense the Mfr also made their pen that way. So say the OP's Visconti obviously fall into the not delivered as good as it should category. On the other hand the nature of the tool by itself do not change whether you are buying a cheap $1.00 or $10000.00 pen.

MY take on the matter is for those like Chinese and Indian pens, I would expect to be doing the pre use cleaning and if needed, some tuning, but no major work of any sort. If its a Japanese pen I would assume a round of cleaning and just checking if something needed. For European and US made Pen, I would expect the need to check for some minor adjustment / tuning. This kind of precautious maintenance is also not exclusive to fountain pens. But also any tools of decent made and be expected to serve. Even a humble screwdriver can benefit from a simple cleaning and making sure the tip is free of shaving / kinks.

So should it work right out of the box. Well I guess my answer is yes with the notation that it mean the set of pre use steps to prepare the pen are taken.

Edited by Mech-for-i

I don't blame the vendor... I'm all about tootsie pops! ,

Love it! I now have a Jar of Tootsie Pops on my kitchen counter that is about half way full and growing.

I just got a package today and for the first time, they forgot my Tootsie Pop. 🤕

I also received a Sailor King of Pens today. I ordered it from Japan. Paid under $500. The body is ebonite and when I thouched the nib to paper, watery ink came out of the nib. Telling me that the pen had been tested in Japan before sending it to me. I don't mind saying that I'm really smitten with this pen.

That's what it use to be like.

I expect pens to write. I usually just plugin a cartridge when I get a new pen and start writing. If I had to flush a pen I would do it, but I'm not good at tinkering pens and removing nibs and sections and what not, and would be nice if all the pens can write without the hassle of adjusting jobs and stuff like that.