Jinhao 992 Informal Review

truthpil

As soon as I've decided on the colour I'll try one of these. Thanks for the review!

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Sailor Kenshin

• bob_hayden

• suharsh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the 992 proves to be a step up from the 599, it will prove to be a decent giveaway pen to a new FP enthusiast. I always keep a few of these types of pens in my collection for such times. I now have an additional Post Office employee who is waiting for a pen--who will get a 992. So far I have 4 new FP converts, and my convert in NY is 'evangelizing' a potential new FP convert.

Your review convinced me to purchase 2 of the clear demonstrators. It was very well done. :D Does the barrel material really feel like a higher end resin? I own 3 x750 FP's and a rollerball 750. Jinhao pens seem hard to beat for the price. I also recently purchased a Wing Sung 659 and 698. Both are also demonstrators. Have you had any experience with those particular pens?

Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier. When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite ...

Hi TruthPil,

If we ever meet face to face someplace; please be kind enough to remind me to give you a kick in the pants. :rolleyes:

Your splendid efforts here convinced me to buy the complete set of 12... I'm an impulsive creature with a very healthy exuberance to try new things... and I like what I've seen and read here. :)

And if they're too small for my hands, I'll just PIF 'em. (But I think if I post them; I'll be okay... I just wish the section had the same diameter the X-750 does).

- Anthony

Hahaha thanks Anthony, that's be best compliment I've received in a while.

I'll be sure to remind you after my wife finishes her kicking fest once she sees all the vintage pens that have been accumulating in my desk drawer. :yikes:

Twelve of these pens isn't too big a dip into the wallet and they would make great gifts for potential addicts.

I wrapped a string around the widest part of the section on my X750 and 992 and measured it. The 992 is about 31mm around the section and the X750 is about 37mm. I don't think the difference will be enough to be uncomfortable for you. They also post better than other Jinhao pens so posting should make the length sufficient.

Now to get a matching ink for each color of pen....

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Hi TruthPil,

You're welcome. :)

Thanks for the measurements on the sections - that helps. :)

Yes, I'm not worried about the price so much as curbing my own impulsive nature... fortunately, you weren't reviewing a 149. ;)

I got the complete lot for $28, including shipping, so it breaks down to about $2.33 per pen... that's cheaper than a disposable Varsity.

Thanks again and take it light... and keep your center drawer locked at all times. :D

- Anthony

The barrel is made of 2 parts, the body and a small plug at the end. The seal on the plug seems to be good enough to allow for eyedropper conversion.

I filled the barrel with water, put the pen back together, and flicked the pen a lot in many directions. There is no leaking at all. It's been sitting on the desk for several minutes afterward and still no leaking. Flow to the nib is excellent as well.

The fact that there is a rubber o-ring unnecessarily on the section suggests to me that either the manufacturer or seller I bought it from thinks it can be used as an eyedropper.

I haven't tried it with ink because I don't like eyedroppers, but I think this water test shows that it's possible.

thanks a lot for your testing the eyedropper usability. blue and coffee brown demos are on their way. hope they reach me soon.

I tested it as an eyedropper with water also. I could not detect any leaks. A trial with ink will be next.

Inkvisibly yours,

Margaret

Thank you OP for this excellent review. I saw these online when searching for Jinhao piston fill and wondered about them. Now I know. And now you know because of your review I'm going to have to break my pen buying fast and grab a couple of these!

I'm really floored by all the positive remarks for this review!

This is by far the sloppiest and worst review I've ever posted, but strangely the most popular. I usually spend weeks mulling over what to say, but this time I just sat down from being exhausted after a long day of work, inked up the new pen that had just arrived in the mail, and wrote out a bunch of unorganized and even misspelled thoughts.

Amazing...I guess Jinhao really has a winner on their hands!

It's due to be inked with some troublesome ink in the next rotation.

Does anyone have any requests for a particularly problematic ink to try out in it??

Thanks for reading everyone!

I just got mine today (a 6 pen lot from jewelrymathematics, as I plan to give some away). I washed and inked up the orange / brown demo version with Waterman Havana Brown and... it works. The nib is the standard Jinhao nib found on a ton of models, like the 886, the plastic 599, etc. Basically a F/M nail that writes rather well and smoothly out of the box. I do wonder about that plug at the end of the barrel and about the cap band. Don't know how long they'll stay put, but it seems promising. In any case, it doesn't look nearly as cheap as the plastic 599 and the 886 (among others). At a little over 3 Canadian dollars per pen, shipping included, it's a pretty nice thing.

Thanks for the review and for all the useful comment!

For starters I'll get 3, if I can decide on the last color besides the transparent blue & green :D

"Music..Its language is a language which the soul alone understands, but which the soul can never translate." - Arnold Bennett

Instagram // my inks

I ordered 5, 3 of them at the customs. thanks for the infos :)

It's all Greek to me...

I noticed on mine that the nib and feed actually screw out of the section in a little plastic piece. Are they friction fit in there and should I just be able to pull them out?

Edited by Lchu613

@TruthPil, yes any Diamine autumn/fall color

Does anyone have any requests for a particularly problematic ink to try out in it??

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

I noticed on mine that the nib and feed actually screw out of the section in a little plastic piece. Are they friction fit in there and should I just be able to pull them out?

Wow, I wasn't aware you could screw out the plastic piece. Are there threads on the plastic piece?

I pulled the nib out by itself very easily with my thumb, then the feed came out with a little tug and twist.

@TruthPil, yes any Diamine autumn/fall color

The only autumn-ish Diamine color I have is Pumpkin, does that count? I also have Diamine Sepia which might fit the category.

Maybe you're giving me the excuse I needed to get that Ancient Copper I've always been wondering about. :P

Here's the 992 with a quick test (forgive any threadjacking!) using Noodler's 41 Brown and absolutely no flushing of the pen. And as you can see, I also forgot the model number of this pen. It's not written anywhere that I noticed.

On this paper, with this ink, it writes a wet medium-fine line that was almost too thick for sketching. By contrast, the Delikes I also just got, a couple of Chinese homages to the Sailor Sapporo, write a needle-fine line.

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/5314/9372/5269/Brown_Jinhao-640p.jpg

I like these! Maybe I should have gotten more. :)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Jealous of all whose pens have arrived. :P My two are still lost in the void between China & my mailbox for a bit yet. Not that I need more inked pens around here. Gives me more time to figure out what to fill them with anyway.

Amazing...I guess Jinhao really has a winner on their hands!

It's due to be inked with some troublesome ink in the next rotation.

Ancient copper is very nice. I use the best inks in my Jinhao's to make them write even better. So why use problematic inks and blame Chinese pens not to be the best writers for your cash on the barrel?