The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Jinhao 992 Informal Review

china chinese asia review jinhao 992 fine smooth wet bargain

• Please log in to reply
607 replies to this topic

#601 sansenri

sansenri

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:33

I was wondering if the crack/disintegration problem occurs also to the non transparent version of this pen.

I have the transparent (uncoloured) version of this pen since 2017, as I bought it even before it was reviewed here on FPN.

Fair enough, after a short while it developed a crack in the small bottom finial, which I had not noticed initially. When I read about the potential cracking issue I checked the pen, and it was there.

There has been past discussion about the cracking problem in demonstrators which seems to be tied to the polystyrene type of plastic which is needed to give transparency and the shape of the pens, which tends to created uneven pressure points inside the plastic, eventually developing a crack in the weak points.

No doubt the quality of the plastic used has a lot to do with it too. TWSBI pens tend to crack too, but not as regularly as this one...

It might be possible that the solid colours crack less due to a different plastic mix used. Any experiences?

I keep this pen in my office drawer as a "safety" pen, so it does not get used so much. Honestly if I have to choose a similar pen the Wing Sung 3008 is another planet, although costing more, but still being very affordable.

Sponsored Content

#602 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:55

I have piles of Chinese pens that have not disintegrated -- some many years old.  This seems to be almost a Jinhao exclusive "feature";-) 

You may have a point there. Even my all-metal Jinhao pens eventually start leaking from the seams of the section after a couple years of occasional use and flushing with a bulb syringe. My theory is that the pressure of the bulb syringe when flushing gradually opens the seams, which is pretty pathetic.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

#603 bob_hayden

bob_hayden

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2019 - 15:47

There has been past discussion about the cracking problem in demonstrators which seems to be tied to the polystyrene type of plastic which is needed to give transparency and the shape of the pens, which tends to created uneven pressure points inside the plastic, eventually developing a crack in the weak points.

Two issues.  Transparent plastic does not have to crack.  I just fished out a Sheaffer Dollar Pen of the pointy-headed middle generation so c.1960.   It's seen a lot of use.  The plastic is somewhat cloudy with scratches and the sharp edge at the closed end is smoothed over.  The cap has many spots where rust seems to be coming through the plating.  But it's all in one piece, with no cracks.  OTOH there is no knobby bit rammed into the closed end, which is instead reinforced with three ribs. 

#604 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,852 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2019 - 19:01

Two issues.  Transparent plastic does not have to crack.  I just fished out a Sheaffer Dollar Pen of the pointy-headed middle generation so c.1960.   It's seen a lot of use.  The plastic is somewhat cloudy with scratches and the sharp edge at the closed end is smoothed over.  The cap has many spots where rust seems to be coming through the plating.  But it's all in one piece, with no cracks.  OTOH there is no knobby bit rammed into the closed end, which is instead reinforced with three ribs.

I semi-collect Sheaffer school pens, and some of the sadder examples do have cracks. Most don't.

#605 WarrenB

WarrenB

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2019 - 21:39

I was wondering if the crack/disintegration problem occurs also to the non transparent version of this pen.

It might be possible that the solid colours crack less due to a different plastic mix used. Any experiences?

For what it's worth, the only 992 to break up on me was an opaque green version. (cap ring and the underlying plastic broke right off with a feather-touch)

I do like my remaining 992s, nice writers, nice shape*, but I feel like I have to treat them with kid gloves now - which is not the point of an ultra-cheap version of a product, in my view! That experience has also been the one that convinced me to knock the splurging on cheap chinese pens, and save up for a few sturdier models.

* I like the 991s too, for their unobtrusive disposa-ball look, though I'm surprised by how boring they've become to me. Fine for tinkering with, and would be fine for throwing in a back pocket, but again, I'm made paranoid about how easily that plastic would shatter.

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg

#606 sansenri

sansenri

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2019 - 22:08

Well, you're right actually, I also have two Sheaffer non-nonsense in blue and purple tranpsarent plastic and they are still perfect...

It's evident someone knows how to make a better plastic...

fpn_1548626738__p1160555-3_sheaffer_non-

#607 bob_hayden

bob_hayden

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2019 - 22:43

I semi-collect Sheaffer school pens, and some of the sadder examples do have cracks. Most don't.

Yeah, I managed to crack one by stepping on it.  I did not mean to suggest they never crack, only that they are not suicidal;-)

#608 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,852 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2019 - 18:28

Yeah, I managed to crack one by stepping on it.  I did not mean to suggest they never crack, only that they are not suicidal;-)

I will say that my cracked examples came in a mixed batch of (mostly) awful pens off fleabay. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: china, chinese, asia, review, jinhao, 992, fine, smooth, wet, bargain

Sponsored Content

|