Flexible Nib In The New Conklin Mark Twain Sterling Demo

butchixanhdo

hi guys,

I am interested in the new Conklin Mark Twain Sterling Demo, which you can see here

http://www.conklinpens.com/sterling_demo_page.html,

In particular, I am interested in the 14k flexible nib. According to the website, it says "The real story perhaps is the supple 14k FLEX nib, available six unique sizes (EF, F, M, BB, 0.9, 1.1)". In addition, here is what it says for the nibs on the other model "The Conklin Sterling fountain pen features an extremely flexible 14K nib for the ultimate in expressiveness."

It sounds, to me, very exciting, but I am not so sure how flexible these nibs are. So, if you have any experience with the nibs, I will appreciate any thought from you :)

Cheer

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• butchixanhdo

• billy1380

• Bo Bo Olson

• TassoBarbasso

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the first I've heard of it...I don't know. I am happy finally someone is making a modern pen with a good nib.....finally!!!!!

About all I know in modern Pelikan 1000's is semi-flex in 18 K which a heavy hand can bend and it will stay bent..

..and 14 K is better in it is more robust, and springs back better than 18K.

I have a lot of semi-flex & maxi-semi-flex in 14 K, and most of my super flex are steel, I do have two in 14 K, a Soennecken and a Pelikan 100n.

I'm interested also what they think they mean by flex. ...in it sounds superflex....but that is a common term ....and I wonder why that was not used.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I think, read "flex" with a pinch of salt.

I have the limited edition of the Ambrosia Celluloid one... judging from the description (hover over the pen image to see it) the pens you are talking about have the same nib. The nib is flexible... but it depends on your frame of reference... It is not like the M1000, harder than that, not as soft as the Omas extra flessible, harder that that one too.

Take a look here:

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/Index_Showcase.asp?BOD=/limited_edition/limited_edition.asp%3FMFG%3D80

Ok... so, not sure if any of this is helpful... if you do order one... please post what you think.

I think, read "flex" with a pinch of salt.

I have the limited edition of the Ambrosia Celluloid one... judging from the description (hover over the pen image to see it) the pens you are talking about have the same nib. The nib is flexible... but it depends on your frame of reference... It is not like the M1000, harder than that, not as soft as the Omas extra flessible, harder that that one too.

Take a look here:

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/Index_Showcase.asp?BOD=/limited_edition/limited_edition.asp%3FMFG%3D80

Ok... so, not sure if any of this is helpful... if you do order one... please post what you think.

Thank you for your reply. Is it about as flexible as the pilot falcon? I guess I will just stick with my vintage watermans and swans.

Sigh....well I have more than enough semi&maxi-semi-flex pens to last a couple of life times.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thank you for your reply. Is it about as flexible as the pilot falcon? I guess I will just stick with my vintage watermans and swans.

I don't have my namiki falcon inked up... but just pressing it against my thumb nail a little to remind myself, the falcon feels slightly softer.

If your term of comparison are Waterman and Swan, you will never find anything like that among modern flex. Those were the non plus ultra for flex at a time when flex was everywhere; nowadays' flex nibs are but pale shadows of that :)

If your term of comparison are Waterman and Swan, you will never find anything like that among modern flex. Those were the non plus ultra for flex at a time when flex was everywhere; nowadays' flex nibs are but pale shadows of that :)

I think this is probably broadly true... but, I managed to get hold of a Richard Binder flex nib on an Edison pen... and that thing is phenomenal. Video on you tube... I think they are still available but only on pens > $350 and for an additional $150... although please don't quote me on that (figures are from memory).

I think this is probably broadly true... but, I managed to get hold of a Richard Binder flex nib on an Edison pen... and that thing is phenomenal. Video on you tube... I think they are still available but only on pens > $350 and for an additional $150... although please don't quote me on that (figures are from memory).

I agree with you that the richard binder flex nibs are great because they give huge line variation. But in my eyes, the colorful Edison pen are but toys. $350 for a piece of red or blue acrylic, seriously? In addition, the unmistakable bock or jowo nibs make the edison pens ever more boring. With $350 + $150 you can get two vintage Mabie Todds with superior flex nibs. Some might disagree with me but whatever.

Sigh....well I have more than enough semi&maxi-semi-flex pens to last a couple of life times.

I used to have many modern semiflex, but I gave them to my friends as gifts. Now I only have vintage pens which I love. But the conklin look pretty :).

I don't have my namiki falcon inked up... but just pressing it against my thumb nail a little to remind myself, the falcon feels slightly softer.

Thank you.

Personally, when I read the word "flexible" in an ad for a modern pen, especially a Conklin, I think "a little bit springy." These nibs are not as stiff as the current JoWo/Knox/Bock/Schmidt steel nibs, but they are nowhere near the semi-flex of the Pelikan 1000 or the Falcon. The nibs on the Conklin pens are just made of thinner gauge stainless to give them the springiness.

Personally, when I read the word "flexible" in an ad for a modern pen, especially a Conklin, I think "a little bit springy." These nibs are not as stiff as the current JoWo/Knox/Bock/Schmidt steel nibs, but they are nowhere near the semi-flex of the Pelikan 1000 or the Falcon. The nibs on the Conklin pens are just made of thinner gauge stainless to give them the springiness.

Some Chinese vendors have produced flexible nibs in this sense of the word: such thin steel that pressure will cause the tines to separate a bit. You can actually do some nice-looking writing with them if you are very careful and the ink and paper cooperate. But because you are doing something that the nib maker probably didn't have in mind, it is the user's responsibility to know where the magic thin line is between flexing the nib and bending it permanently. And you have to learn how long it takes the nib to return once you have flexed it--it does not behave like a flexible dip pen.

Who knows--maybe the modern version of "Conklin" is buying nibs (or whole pens) from Jinhao or Hero.

ron