Monteverde Canyon Rust

white_lotus

Recently Monteverde modified and expanded their line up of inks with new, modern packaging and two sizes: 90ml and 30 ml. There seems to be 31 colors in the new line if I counted correctly. Thanks to ErrantSmudge and Amberlea Davis I received a sample of the Canyon Rust ink. I'd never tried the Monteverde inks before so this my first chance to do so, and my impressions are fairly favorable.

This is a muted red ink. While in some lighting conditions it appears closer to brown, that's not the case most of the time. The ink blot shows the dye mix being red with a little bit of green/blue-green. So Canyon Rust is an appropriate name for this ink.

The handling was perfectly fine in the Edison Premiere used with the ink. I didn't encounter any problems in how I usually write. This isn't a color for me so much, but it's perfectly fine; kind of in the "dried blood" category which seems popular. I haven't noticed any staining on the converter after a couple days in the pen. The shading is decent, but no sheen observed.

The ink is probably middle-of-the-road saturated, it's definitely not watery in it's feel, and the color strength is good. The prices listed online for these inks are very reasonable, comparable with Diamine.

It seems some of the online retailers are carrying the 90 ml bottles, and others the 30 ml bottles, some both. Perhaps this simply reflects the newness of the update to the line.

Obviously, I can't extrapolate to the whole line from just one ink, but this one has been very nice. If the rest of the line is anything like this one, ink lovers will rejoice. So perhaps you might want to add some samples the next time you make an ink order from your favorite vendor, and give these inks a try. I know I have a few I'd like to try out.

ps I have no affiliation with Monteverde, their distributors, or any retailer. The sample was sent to me for free by friends, and I'm just telling you I liked what I got.

Pen: Edison Premiere (M-steel)

Papers: MvL=Mohawk via Linen, TR=Tomoe River, Hij=Hammermill 28 lb inkjet, Rhodia=Rhodia 90g ivory.

Camera: iPhone 7

fpn_1492097417__img_5356.jpg
fpn_1492097450__img_5358.jpg
fpn_1492097479__img_5351.jpg
fpn_1492097509__img_5347.jpg
fpn_1492097564__img_5360.jpg
fpn_1492097587__img_5361.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• white_lotus

• mmg122

• milazinha

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling that "blue" in the chroma pic is really a green. Even my large image looks like what's here. I'll check the original paper towel tomorrow and report back.

I got this recently and I really like it. Others have seen me writing with it and have commented on how nice it looks.

HalloweenHJB sent the ink to me and I took it with me to the LApen show. It dried out for me while I was thinking - which frustrated me to no end. I'm glad others like it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Here it was for me.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2017_1_Ink/04-April/slides/2017-04-10_Ink_106.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Beautiful color, and really like the chroma - didn't expect that blue!

Neither did I - how pretty!!!

Canyon Rust is the first of the new Monteverde inks that I bought and I like it quite a bit. I would also recommend Olivine, Fireopal and Red Velvet...and probably a couple more. I've been very satisfied with the ink's behavior in my broad nib pens. Lastly, I think the price at $.50/ml is reasonable.

Mary