Has Anyone Tried The Baoer 181 And/or The Hero 187?

antichresis

I'm planning on getting one but because of the particularities of the local customs/post office it means that two months is the shortest time I have experienced between ordering and actual receipt. Cheap as they are, I wouldn't want to wait that long just to end up with something I will give away, so experience by others helps.

Both are inspired by Waterman.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KD0AAOSw2s1U03ia/s-l1600.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ydYAAOSwcwhVJ46k/s-l1600.jpg

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• antichresis

• Mech-for-i

• mke

• MercianScribe

Oh this one, That's the licensed production batch done by Hero for others including Baoer, and Wing Sung ( Licensed deal ) ; well its basically no fuss, but also no fanfare pen. I am not sure if its the OEM client's requirment or not but Hero do made these pretty light . That might or might not be a issue with some. Personally I have no issue with the sample I've tried ( Hero and Wing Sung variant ). They wrote decent , and as usual on the dry side and some feedback.

If I must go buy this model I might look into Wing Sung's variant, at the very least the range give us some bright colors

Thanks, Mech-for-i! Indulge me:

What does the Wing Sung variant look like? Could you post a photo?

By the way, is there a gap in the middle of the clip or is it just a black plastic insert? I initially thought it was the former, but some photos seem to hint at the latter, which would be unfortunate.

And lastly, what is the nib width? Western Fine? Both are listed as 0.5 but I've read that these are often untrue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

The Wing Sung look exactly like these two, but I've seen them in white, red, yellow and I think also in orange. I do not quite recall but I believe that's a gap in the clip. Nib is typical standard FM ( 0.5 kind of in the ballpark but it looks wider than that to me ) I do not have one so I cannot take a photo .. you'll need to ask around with your retailer. Sometime these batch OEM production might have just a small run and not always available as a catalog item

The Wing Sung look exactly like these two, but I've seen them in white, red, yellow and I think also in orange. I do not quite recall but I believe that's a gap in the clip. Nib is typical standard FM ( 0.5 kind of in the ballpark but it looks wider than that to me ) I do not have one so I cannot take a photo .. you'll need to ask around with your retailer. Sometime these batch OEM production might have just a small run and not always available as a catalog item

Thank you! The seller I am looking seems to have just these two I listed but I like black anyway so it's fine. According to [seller] the Hero writes narrower than the Baoer by a bit, for those who are interested. I once had a bit of a shock when a Jinhao that was listed as a 0.5 Medium wrote like highlighter.

That said my hands are tied with my limited student funds depleted temporarily by a large ink order and my first foray into Taobao coming up; hopefully these are still available when I get back.

Edited by antichresis

I have the Baoer, silver finish, version of this pen. Yes, the clip has an opening. I enjoy the pen and it has a positive snap-cap. The nib is medium-ish but I tend to either replace the nibs on my Chinese pens with BB ones or grind them down to stubs. I think this pen will give you good service.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Baoer, silver finish, version of this pen. Yes, the clip has an opening. I enjoy the pen and it has a positive snap-cap. The nib is medium-ish but I tend to either replace the nibs on my Chinese pens with BB ones or grind them down to stubs. I think this pen will give you good service.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am ordering the pen!

I have the silver and the black one of the Baoer 181. Unfortunately, the black one has a bit of removed coating. I think, I will claim a refund and buy another one.

I have inked the silver one and I like the writing with it. This could well be a pen for everyday.

The design is not mind-boggling. I would describe it as a business pen.

Good to hear that Wingsung has other colors - I am always on the look-out for red and blue ones.

Edited by mke

mke, can you post a photo of your 181? If the removed coating is horrific I'll have to pass on my order. Thanks!

It is not horrific at all. I have not yet photographed the damage. Actually, you only see it if you look closer at your pens (what I do). As I only have 2 weeks after confirming the arrival, I immediately check the pen if it writes and if there is damage.

In this case, I probably will not try to get a refund via AliExpress but the seller might be trading points for some refund - especially if I am telling him that I going to reorder at his shop or another.

The damage are parallel scratches where you place your fingers during writing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've been using a Hero 187 as my daily carry workhorse (black one with silver trim) for about six months, and while I'm quite careful (I don't carry my pens around with keys or anything in my pockets - usually in a pen pouch or on its own clipped onto a pocket) I've had no problem with the finish.

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

Hi, I've been using a Hero 187 as my daily carry workhorse (black one with silver trim) for about six months, and while I'm quite careful (I don't carry my pens around with keys or anything in my pockets - usually in a pen pouch or on its own clipped onto a pocket) I've had no problem with the finish.

Thank you for the feedback. This is quite encouraging. :)