149 Nib Options?

Moonshae

Hi all,

Since MB seems to be a love it or hate it brand, I figured I'd post this here where I'm less likely to get a "don't bother with MB, buy this instead, blah blah blah" response.

I'm finishing grad school in a few weeks and have my eyes on a 149 as a joint graduation present from my parents and my wife. ~$1000 is nothing to sneeze at for people like us, but it's a once in my lifetime event, and my daughter will inherit the pen when I am gone.

At any rate, the MB website is vague at best when it comes to available nibs for exchange...saying they have fine, medium, and broad is basically the same as saying nothing about what nibs are available...if they didn't have those three...

Does anyone have a definitive list of what nibs are available for the 149? I'm particularly interested in a stub; I like line width variation and am willing to sacrifice a little smoothness for it. No stub isn't a deal breaker, but it will certainly cause me to re-evaluate.

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Dorf

• Moonshae

• Mulrich

EF, F, M, OM, B, OB, BB, OBB, OBBB

These are all the standard and freel exchange options. No BBB.

B and up are stubbish, so line variation but not as much as some stubs. Probably what you would be happy with.

If you want to spend another $1000 or so for the nib, you can get one custom made to your specs, from EEF to extra flex, to calligraphy 6B+.

Buying used will save money, but may not be appropriate for your special occasion. That said, buying from EU if you are in the US can yield large savings and still let you pick any standard nib width.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks, I'm not sure about the terminology...OBBB is oblique triple broad? Wouldn't that be a huge line compared with a medium? My current experience with a stub is a 1.1 stub from TWSBI, which has a nice variation in line width without being too broad overall. I realize comparing the two brands makes no sense, I'm simply using the 1.1 as an example of the line I like from a pen.

Double price just for a nib is out of the question, I'm afraid, but buying direct from EU sounds great if I get the right nib without having to send the brand new, unused pen away for two months for a nib exchange.

If you buy from EU, for example, you can have the vendor send the pen in directly, get it back and then send it to you. More like 2 weeks for the nib swap.

If you like a 1.1 stub, you would be happy with a B or BB I think. Maybe a B if you are more used to an M.

Thanks, I'm not sure about the terminology...OBBB is oblique triple broad? Wouldn't that be a huge line compared with a medium?

fpn_1492064825__m_and_obbb.jpg

I can't find the nib tool on the Montblanc.com web-site either. I assumed it would show all of the available nibs when you put the pen in your cart, but it does not. :(

I suggest that in order to see all of the available nibs you could go to a Montblanc boutique where you will be able to try them all out. They will be 146 sized pens, but the nib tip widths will be the same. :)

First of all, I'd consider buying smaller 146.More handy, unless you only want to use 149 for signing.And your daughter will be more likely to use it in future.If I'd have $1000 I'd go for vintage and find appropriate nib width at penboard.de. or maxpens.de., but, that's me.

Montblanc don't do a stub nib. If you wanted a stub nib you would need to buy the pen with a M or B nib and have it stubbed by someone else. Montblanc only do Oblique stub type nibs.

Thanks for all the feedback; it gives me something to think about. There is a MB boutique close to where my parents live, so I could pop in during a visit (about an hour away; not unreasonable). It makes sense to see and hold the pens in person first if I can.

Does the 146 have another name? I don't see it on the MB website.

Thanks for all the feedback; it gives me something to think about. There is a MB boutique close to where my parents live, so I could pop in during a visit (about an hour away; not unreasonable). It makes sense to see and hold the pens in person first if I can.

Le Grand?

As Tom has said, OBBB appears to be suitable for daily use, depending on your writing characteristics and preferences.

Don't forget also that you can always get a stock B or BB and have them modified to your exact specifications by a nib technician.

Montblanc don't do a stub nib. If you wanted a stub nib you would need to buy the pen with a M or B nib and have it stubbed by someone else. Montblanc only do Oblique stub type nibs.

Montblanc's B and BB nibs are quite stubby, so stubby that Montblanc shows them to be unsuitable for writing when you rotate your pen, more similar to a stub nib than a rounded one. By contrast they show that EF, F, and M nibs can be used rotated at an angle. They're not explicitly advertised as being called "stub" nibs, but by how Montblanc advertises how to write with them and shows off the line variation they create they may fall under this category. Of course, as others have mentioned, if you want more line variation a nibmeister is the way to go.

"Oh deer."

To the OP's point about not seeing things on the MB website, I was looking for a standard 149 on the website, but none seem to be available. I called the listed number and the "ambassador" ( :D ) told me that there is one -- yes, just one -- available in Chicago. I live in Minneapolis, so I think she was pointing out the closest available at a store, but the stock seems very limited right now. Maybe it's graduation time and there's a run on them.

Edited by oPENbooks

I can't find the nib tool on the Montblanc.com web-site either. I assumed it would show all of the available nibs when you put the pen in your cart, but it does not. :(

I suggest that in order to see all of the available nibs you could go to a Montblanc boutique where you will be able to try them all out. They will be 146 sized pens, but the nib tip widths will be the same. :)

O3B is not available in 146 size and there is no tester, just for clarity though the OP is not likely interested in one that wide.

This is great info. I have the Blue Boheme with a M nib, and I'm not sure if it's the nib or my ink, but it lays a pretty heavy line compared with other pens; I'm guessing the pen needs a drier ink. But judging from that, anything more than B would likely be too much.

So that said, I'd guess that having the nib ground to a stub would increase line thickness during thick strokes, but thin strokes would remain as thin or thinner than the unmodified nib would deliver. Is that correct? If that's the case, I'll have to try both M and B nibs at the boutique.

This is great info. I have the Blue Boheme with a M nib, and I'm not sure if it's the nib or my ink, but it lays a pretty heavy line compared with other pens; I'm guessing the pen needs a drier ink. But judging from that, anything more than B would likely be too much.

So that said, I'd guess that having the nib ground to a stub would increase line thickness during thick strokes, but thin strokes would remain as thin or thinner than the unmodified nib would deliver. Is that correct? If that's the case, I'll have to try both M and B nibs at the boutique.

I would recommend trying the broader nibs before counting them out. They're a lot of fun, and are very expressive to write with. I take class notes with my broader nibs and find them usable for the task. Of course, depending on how large or small you write they not be suitable, however you may find they work better than you might imagine.

"Oh deer."

Here's a link to the standard gold 146: http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/collection/writing-instruments/meisterstueck/13661-meisterstueck-legrand-fountain-pen.html

It comes in a few varieties of metal trims (gold, rose gold, platinum).

I'm not sure about other's experiences, but you may want to check out Jomashop (http://www.jomashop.com/luxury-pens.html?subtype=Fountain+Pens). They carry a range of Montblanc pens and have low prices for new stock.

Not suggest buying from Jomashop. 6-week free nib exchange and 2-year warranty is important. Buying from EU is a good option. And you won't be able to get BB, O3B from Jomashop.

Is jomashop not an authorized dealer? They sell a lot of MB so I assumed they were legit.

It sounds like the OP wasn't interested in the broadest nibs so a nib exchange may not matter to him. A two year warranty is nice but might not be worth the additional expense. It's unlikely a problem will happen and if one does occur a pen repair would likely still be cheaper than paying full retail. I haven't looked at prices from European dealers so I'm not sure if they're more competitive than authorized US dealers.